Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ probably not the stock motor

Catalyst

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I haven't really introduced myself in the newbie lounge or anything, but my name is Craig and I actually worked at Hellion for about 2 and a half years, through all of the compound boost development.

The theory of compound boost is definitely not a new one. It has been around in the diesel world for 30 or 40 years or so, and is a common practice in the tractor pulling world. It's a bit more practical in that realm because diesel's can handle so much more boost because they are immune to detonation, however, it has real world practicality in the street car genre.

When we did the '03 Cobra originally, we just wanted to see if it would be effective at all and spare the customer the hassle of purchasing a 99-01 Cobra intake and all associated hardware, which could easily reach $800-$1000 on top of what they would be paying for the kit. When we made 1,198 rear wheel horsepower with that car, we realized that the kit would work and could also provide some pretty insane numbers when combined with the stout 03-04 Cobra motors.

We have always said from the start that the compound systems are NOT the most powerful in regards to throwing up a huge number on the dyno. Those of you that mentioned you could slap twin 57's or twin 61's on a car and make the same PEAK numbers are correct, however the true advantage of the compound system is that it allows for far greater average power levels than any other single power adder.

Here's a good summation of the theory behind compound that I wrote up on Hellion's site:

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php/compound-boost-resource

Mods - I no longer represent Hellion personally or as a company, so please do not take this as spam, just thought some firsthand knowledge would be helpful.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back