Compound Boost

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
So I was bored roaming the internet and I came across this. Obviously its not a new thing as many people have done it (Hellion has a kit for the GT500)

Is this only useful for high HP cars? I understand the whole goal is to give the car low end power from the s/c while the turbo spools up and takes care of the high rpms.

Would you really see any benefits when running low boost through the both of them? Say 4psi on one and 5 on the other for a combined of 9.72

If someone had a KB at say 10 psi but decided to back it down to 4 and a turbo to 5, will they notice any difference in track times or horsepower numbers?

Just curious, trying to expand my car knowledge.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The goal is actually, to utilize the intercooler without removing the blower. I saw a test where the SC was removed and a fabricated intake "hat" was installed. The test car (GT500) picked up power without the restriction of the blower.

Here is a video but it isn't the one I was actually talking about..

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah its sounds cool put its pretty much pointless and costly.

Last edited:

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
There's a guy over on mustangforums.com that is running a compond boosted 03-04 cobra. I believe it makes around 800whp and runs 9's...

jjay760

forum member
Reaction score
that gt500 is a BEAST! it seems better to just run the turbo, plus it sounds better in my opinion

blacknlte

Reaction score
Actually, on the 500s with the turbos alone the car runs shity but under WOT it hauls ass. But when used with the supercharger it runs like stock and you would never know they're there. As for lowering the boost on the supercharger, theres no need cause the setup goes from 5 to 20+

Tony (thebull) on svtperformance is running in the range of 38-42 psi and is making 1200 rwhp with the stock supercharger and 66mm turbos from hellion

tony_1200.png

Im building my car in mirror of Tonys car (about 90% the same)

Heres some info on his car, its the white/blue 500
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php/news

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
I have seen some compound boosted cars make some serious power, for instance the 500 above that made 1200.....

It WILL make good power, IF you go about it the RIGHT way.......Hell, why spend the money to compound boost an 03/04 Cobra and make 800rwhp.......We made that on a stock longblock with twin 57's....

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I would think the blower would actually be a bottleneck for the turbos, weird setup.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There's a guy over on mustangforums.com that is running a compond boosted 03-04 cobra. I believe it makes around 800whp and runs 9's...

There are a few but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's got a 3.4L Whipple, twins and also has a 6M and SRA. It's from Angleton.

Hell, why spend the money to compound boost an 03/04 Cobra and make 800rwhp.......We made that on a stock longblock with twin 57's....
I think it is a waste of coin as well.

blacknlte

Reaction score

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Yea it might cost alot, but alot of the GT500 owners can spend the money on something like that. Plus, can you take a factory GT and make 700+ rwhp with a twin kit. Dont think so. A GT500? Yes. Plus theres just a cool factor that comes with it. lol

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34840

Yes, a GT500 is easy to do....and it does cost a lot...but I don't see a guy spending the money on a supercharger, then turning right around and buying a TT kit just for the "compound boost" factor....by that time, you could have a nice engine, and a killer blower setup making 700+

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
....Plus theres just a cool factor that comes with it. lol.........

I've heard that about neon under glow before too.... :thumb:

I don't think it's possible to chastise someone about "wasting money" when we are talking about modding cars. It's all a waste of money. I can see the advantages and disadvantages but for that kind of coin I wouldn't be driving a Mustang anymore.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they've been doing that type of set up on Cobras and Ford GTs for a while.

blacknlte

Reaction score
Yes, a GT500 is easy to do....and it does cost a lot...but I don't see a guy spending the money on a supercharger, then turning right around and buying a TT kit just for the "compound boost" factor....by that time, you could have a nice engine, and a killer blower setup making 700+

True, but all i have to do is put the turbo kit on and make the 700+ without the built motor thats gonna cost you $$$ Then i could turn it up and make close to 900 rwhp, its not gonna live long but itll make the number

I've heard that about neon under glow before too.... :thumb:

I don't think it's possible to chastise someone about "wasting money" when we are talking about modding cars. It's all a waste of money. I can see the advantages and disadvantages but for that kind of coin I wouldn't be driving a Mustang anymore.

Yea but we're not driving rice, I agree on it all a waste. But every own will do what they want with there car and money:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd build an aluminum upper and call it a day if doing turbos but using the stock blower as it is makes some sense. As far as my "waste of coin" comment, (I should have noted) I think that the few people I have seen compounding Whipples and turbos are foolish and the job can be done effectively with the turbos having the power adder monopoly. If I was "turning it up" I woudn't use a compound setup.

Last edited:

Procharged06

forum member
Reaction score
my local shop (GearHeads) has done something with compound boost on a GT500 and has a magazine feature, i'll have to look for it

It's in the new issue of 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords. He's running the stock Eaton S/C and twin 61mm Hellion turbos. The mag says he's running at 724hp but they don't give any torque or boost levels.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont know about street cars, but back in the Group B rally days, the Lancia Delta S4 had a superchager and turbo. The s/c was for low end grunt and aimed at lower altitudes in mountain runs. At the high end and high(er) elevations, the turbo came into play.

And dont forget Rick Dobbertins Pro Street Pontiac J2000 with twin s/cs and twin turbos. More like that followed from other Pro Street builders.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back