Concrete Patio pricing

Rob1968

forum member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are getting ready to start our backyard remodel and are starting with having the patio poured. It will be 7 yards of concrete, no demo...just frame and poured. We are not having it stamped and I will be sealing it once it has cure. We have received 3 quotes and the range of the quotes seems odd to me. First was 3200, second 2550 and third was 1700. I have done a bit of research and the concrete would cost me 550 from local supplier and 200 for pump guy. So 750 in costs/ materials and any where from 1000 to 2500 for labor? Just seems like a huge spread to me. All three were licensed contractors and all 3 were referred to me by someone. Any info or experiance is appreciated!

Thanks

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Check and see what PSI concrete each contractor is quoting for. That can make a difference, but not that big of a difference. I usually go for the middle quote after doing all the research on the contractors. Check Angies List to see if any of them have ratings for customer service.

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Be mindful you will loose yardage in the pump truck, so add waste. Don't use cheap thin gauge wire, use panels not rolls.

You pour is small, something that can be knocked out in a day, this is just a fill in or a little extra cash for the week for them. If the cheaper has a good rep. then go with it. You should be 2.50-3.50 a square foot for labor. Be mindful, most of these guys work check to check, Friday to Friday so the more they can squeeze in in a week the better.

Rob1968

forum member
Reaction score
Right on guys, thanks for the great info. I have two more contractors coming out this weekend, so well see what they come in at.

It's weird though, I called and talked to the cheaper of the three and he actually took the time to explain some drainage questions that I had. The others kinda blew off my questions with a "yeah, we'll take care of that" answer. He explained the way things should "fall" and how he was going to deal with the drain that will be in the center of the slab. At this point I am feeling a bit more comfortable with him. Well see..

Thanks again

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That 3200 quote can take a hike. I'm having 15 yards poured and the concrete is $1100. Labor and additional material is $3700 but that includes steps, bench, firepit, etc.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I guess Ca. has huge labor rates. Around here the labor is the same as the concrete. So $700.00 in concrete would be $700.00 in labor for a total of $1400.00. I'd go with the guy that is going to do it for the $1700.00. It's a simple job and it would be hard to screw it up.

Rob1968

forum member
Reaction score
That 3200 quote can take a hike. I'm having 15 yards poured and the concrete is $1100. Labor and additional material is $3700 but that includes steps, bench, firepit, etc.

thats pretty much what I was thinking...

Rob1968

forum member
Reaction score
I guess Ca. has huge labor rates. Around here the labor is the same as the concrete. So $700.00 in concrete would be $700.00 in labor for a total of $1400.00. I'd go with the guy that is going to do it for the $1700.00. It's a simple job and it would be hard to screw it up.

Yeah, everything seems more expensive here. Like I said before...after talking to the cheaper of the three again he actually seems like the most competent of all of them. I will get the two other quotes this weekend and decide from there.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advise

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score
Had about a carport size patio put in my back yard for under 1000, kindof a do it yourself'er guy, did a great job too.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Here's a little rant. I own a flooring company. I deal with a lot of contractors for other projects, etc for work as well. Most of the construction world bids projects, speaking relatively only in residential, just ridiculously. Most of them seriously have no rhyme or reason why they are bidding what they are bidding. It's usually just how desperate they are at the time. I am constantly getting bids for stuff and one project one guy will be super cheap, next time and it's three times as much. The other guys bidding will do the same thing and be expensive one day and super cheap the next. So whoever is the hungriest gets the job out of the people I ask for bids from. It really is amazing especially coming from someone who actually has a process when it comes to bidding.

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score
Was he licensed? That seems really cheap.

I doubt it, i called our local concrete company and asked if they had someone they recommended. They gave me his name and number, and he was just a good ol boy that knew concrete. No complaints here.

Rob1968

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a little rant. I own a flooring company. I deal with a lot of contractors for other projects, etc for work as well. Most of the construction world bids projects, speaking relatively only in residential, just ridiculously. Most of them seriously have no rhyme or reason why they are bidding what they are bidding. It's usually just how desperate they are at the time. I am constantly getting bids for stuff and one project one guy will be super cheap, next time and it's three times as much. The other guys bidding will do the same thing and be expensive one day and super cheap the next. So whoever is the hungriest gets the job out of the people I ask for bids from. It really is amazing especially coming from someone who actually has a process when it comes to bidding.

That seems like it would be frustrating, but my guess is those guys dont last longer a couple years. It's guys that have some sort of method or process to how they come to the bid seem like they would be around longer.

To MikeT.
I think if I personally new someone who could do it I would do that, but another issue in this whole deal is that the HOA I live in have to approve any plans that will be permanent, even in the backyard and they also have to approve the contractor. Bs

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Id say in Cali you probably have to have a license to mow your lawn and your mower has to meet Cali. emissions standards. Other than the great weather I don't know why anyone would want to live out there.

Rob1968

forum member
Reaction score
Id say in Cali you probably have to have a license to mow your lawn and your mower has to meet Cali. emissions standards. Other than the great weather I don't know why anyone would want to live out there.

That's funny, but pretty much true. The weather is great, but damn is it expensive...and the smog laws. I'm sure that there is another thread to go down this road.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back