Coyote Catastrophic Failure

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks bro! yeah, this one has the welded lower and the spacers! The car runs great! my wife and I just came back from watching UFC 148 in Vegas, which is about a 500 miles round trip from Riverside, averaging 22-23 mpg, cruising it at 80ish(with the A/C on). I haven't ran it at the track with the smaller pullies, only with the 8.5psi, which actually reads 9.5psi due to the less restrictive 168mm tb. It has gone 11.3s @123 and change with 91 octane gas, on our shitty Fontana track. On a track with a better D/A it should go 11.0s with the exact same set up. It currently puts down 550whp/[email protected] psi with 91, but when 5.0 Magazine did the tb article, they dopped it with Torco and it made 589/[email protected] and 637/[email protected].
The car must remain emissions legal for KB to get the emissions approval, so it has stock cats and H pipe, with a Pypes mid muffler set up. It also has the stock clutch and 3.73 gears from the factory. I know lots of people cringe at the thought of me still running the cats, but Ken assured me that as long as the tune is spot on, I got nothing to worry about! they (KB) have a couple of their company vehicles running blowers with cats that have over 100k!
I believe the reason why my car runs perfect is because Ken, and ONLY Ken tunes it! I know he shares info with Jon Lund, so I feel pretty safe about the whole set up!
They are an outstanding group of individuals, from Matt, to Mike, Nathan, Ken and Mr. Jim Bell!
I hope your rebuild is everything you are hoping for brotha! I don't know what I would do if the same thing that happened to you, happened to me!

filtercharger-24-XL.jpg

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick :thumb:

I put the NGK's in the motor last night, gapped them to .032 and put anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the porcelain. I also got the headers torqued down. I was right, doing these with the motor in the car would suck. There are 8 bolts per side, and the rear two on the right side you cannot get a socket on, a ratchet wrench worked althought it hits the block and doesn't give you much throw. On the left side there are also two you cannot get a socket on, again ratchet wrench 2 clicks at a time worked. I think it was the second one back and then the rear most stud, both on the bottom.

Here are a few pics for ya Darren

Easy ones

571d830b.jpg

Little more snug here, these I was still able to get a socket on. Taking the motor mount off would help some.

33164a31.jpg

Another...

0174d9c8.jpg

I did take the motor mount back off the left side to get a socket on one. I wanted to use the torque wrench on as many of them as possible.

The flywheel that came with my RST is a 6 bolt :argh: so I have to call JPC here soon and get it sorted out. I really hope I can get the right one soon, I wanted to have the motor in the car by now....

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I was wondering if you forgot me bro! That last pic looks all but IMPOSSIBLE to get to the header bolt...........especially if I'm on my back underneath the car with the motor still in the car.............uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................:thud:

For the money though, those JBA's are what I would get and your's look smoking hot!!!!!!:thumb:

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you forgot me bro! That last pic looks all but IMPOSSIBLE to get to the header bolt...........especially if I'm on my back underneath the car with the motor still in the car.............uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................:thud:

For the money though, those JBA's are what I would get and your's look smoking hot!!!!!!:thumb:

How could I forget about you? :roflmao:

Yeah I agree man, with the motor in the car these would be a chore. The flanges are nice and thick, and the welds look good. The x pipe is cheap and looks good too, and also stainless (found it on amazon for 235 bucks), so for the money ($835 for both) I would say these are a great choice.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Great pics man...I have put long tubes on foxes, sn95, and a 3 valve and I didn't even wanna attempt to do mine on my back in my garage. My knuckles thanked me too lol.

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
I put the JBA headers on on jack stands and ramps in the garage by myself. Drivers side is not bad at all. Passenger side sucked (had to pull every stud but one) and I replaced the stud closest to the firewall with a bolt because it was impossible to get back in.

filtercharger

forum member
Reaction score
They do look to be of great quality! but what a pita to install them! well, I guess you are at the perfect opportunity to get them on! When I had my 07, I installed some Kooks and they were also a pain, but not like the new 5.0s!

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
No real updates since I waited on the clutch and then waited on the correct flywheel to be sent.

Then last night I realized there's no pilot bearing in that crank. Ugh that was a stupid oversight.

Called the dealer today and nobody around here has one, although he said the part number goes back to 2001. I'd be surprised if this was coyote specific, I'd think they would have them. Anybody have a part number? Summit Racing might have one but they don't have anything listed for coyotes on their site so I need to make sure I've got a part number before I deal with them.

I want to get one today so I can put the motor in this weekend.

EDIT: Just did some google-ing, looks like Ford Racing M-7600-B is the one that I need. Summit has those in stock for 12 bucks.

Anybody agree? lol

Last edited:

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Sucks to have a bad tuner experience. I left my car at a tuner for three weeks so he could get the driveability perfect and it still drives pretty crappy.

You are doing great progress. Good luck in getting it up and running soon.

2c5s

forum member
Reaction score
No real updates since I waited on the clutch and then waited on the correct flywheel to be sent.

Then last night I realized there's no pilot bearing in that crank. Ugh that was a stupid oversight.

Called the dealer today and nobody around here has one, although he said the part number goes back to 2001. I'd be surprised if this was coyote specific, I'd think they would have them. Anybody have a part number? Summit Racing might have one but they don't have anything listed for coyotes on their site so I need to make sure I've got a part number before I deal with them.

I want to get one today so I can put the motor in this weekend.

EDIT: Just did some google-ing, looks like Ford Racing M-7600-B is the one that I need. Summit has those in stock for 12 bucks.

Anybody agree? lol

Do you have the old PB? Why not use it over?

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have the old PB? Why not use it over?

This.

Wet toilet paper and a snug fitting bolt...

I stood the old block up on end in my garage and slide it around on that pilot bearing and scratched it all up. I mean it may have been fine, but for 12 bucks I drove up to summit and bought one.

Not a good night of wrenching at all. I didn't have anyone here to help me, and that made putting a motor in (well trying) by myself really frustrating.

I had to disconnect the steering shaft to get the motor to go down in with the longtubes, which wasn't too bad after that.

52ceae98.jpg

2f6a61c0.jpg

As usual I couldn't get the motor and trans that last little bit together. On cable operated clutches I have always hooked the clutch cable to the fork and wedged the pedal down to take the pressure off the clutch disc, that has always allowed them to pop in. I pushed the clutch pedal down in this car with my hand and it snapped right to the floor and stayed there. So I pulled it back up and figured the pressure plate wasn't close enough to the throwout bearing. The next time I went under the car there was brake fluid everywhere. Running down the transmission, dripping onto the floor. After that I was pissed and tired and called it a night.

I was told I may have blown the seal out of the slave cylinder? Anybody know if there is a way to check? I guess I have to pull the motor back out and look at it, fuuuuuuuuuuuck I am pissed just thinking about that.

If it was easy everybody would do it...

2c5s

forum member
Reaction score
I stood the old block up on end in my garage and slide it around on that pilot bearing and scratched it all up. I mean it may have been fine, but for 12 bucks I drove up to summit and bought one.

Not a good night of wrenching at all. I didn't have anyone here to help me, and that made putting a motor in (well trying) by myself really frustrating.

I had to disconnect the steering shaft to get the motor to go down in with the longtubes, which wasn't too bad after that.

52ceae98.jpg

2f6a61c0.jpg

As usual I couldn't get the motor and trans that last little bit together. On cable operated clutches I have always hooked the clutch cable to the fork and wedged the pedal down to take the pressure off the clutch disc, that has always allowed them to pop in. I pushed the clutch pedal down in this car with my hand and it snapped right to the floor and stayed there. So I pulled it back up and figured the pressure plate wasn't close enough to the throwout bearing. The next time I went under the car there was brake fluid everywhere. Running down the transmission, dripping onto the floor. After that I was pissed and tired and called it a night.

I was told I may have blown the seal out of the slave cylinder? Anybody know if there is a way to check? I guess I have to pull the motor back out and look at it, fuuuuuuuuuuuck I am pissed just thinking about that.

If it was easy everybody would do it...

You want to get and engine tilter. It may make it easier to install. Personally, I would drop the trans, install the motor and then marry them together by just reinstalling the trans. I've done installs myself to many times to count, easiest way I've found.

Was the slave line disconnected at all?

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
You want to get and engine tilter. It may make it easier to install. Personally, I would drop the trans, install the motor and then marry them together by just reinstalling the trans. I've done installs myself to many times to count, easiest way I've found.

Was the slave line disconnected at all?

Yeah at this point I may drop the trans. My plan was to leave the trans in place and avoid disconnecting the driveshaft shifter and any of clutch hydraulics. Now that I probably have to take the slave cylinder out anyway I may drop the trans.

I agree bolting motor and trans together on the floor and installing both is easier.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Slave cylinder is out. Easy as fuck just two bolts and the first non corroded brake line I have ever death with.

It was pissing fluid from somewhere. It came out from the boot I think.

I ended up with a JPC clutch line kit so I'm going to just put a new slave cylinder on and the clutch line and try dropping the motor down in again.

That throwout bearing would not retract after I over extended it. I had to set it on the ground and stand on it to get it to break free. I am certain that's why the motor wouldn't go onto the trans all the way.

kon5t

forum member
Reaction score
Slave cylinder is out. Easy as fuck just two bolts and the first non corroded brake line I have ever death with.

It was pissing fluid from somewhere. It came out from the boot I think.

I ended up with a JPC clutch line kit so I'm going to just put a new slave cylinder on and the clutch line and try dropping the motor down in again.

That throwout bearing would not retract after I over extended it. I had to set it on the ground and stand on it to get it to break free. I am certain that's why the motor wouldn't go onto the trans all the way.

when you are trying to get the motor to fit, you are rotating it right? I mean rotating it by turning the crankshaft? it should just slip on.....

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
I used an engine leveler when I did mine and it made it cake. Easy to tilt it front or back and get it exactly even. Popped right in mine. I would get some help though just to keep from breaking all the fragile stuff everywhere.

Reaction score
Sucks to have to go through all this but hats off taking on such a project. You have my complete respect, I would never have the patience to this. I would've smashed a bunch of things by now. Good Luck.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
when you are trying to get the motor to fit, you are rotating it right? I mean rotating it by turning the crankshaft? it should just slip on.....

Yeah I rotated it a bunch. I'm positive the slave cylinder wasn't pushing back after being over extended and that's why it wouldn't go in.

I used an engine leveler when I did mine and it made it cake. Easy to tilt it front or back and get it exactly even. Popped right in mine. I would get some help though just to keep from breaking all the fragile stuff everywhere.

Yeah I'm gonna go buy one of those today or tomorrow lol. It's a bitch to angle it down in.

Sucks to have to go through all this but hats off taking on such a project. You have my complete respect, I would never have the patience to this. I would've smashed a bunch of things by now. Good Luck.

Thanks dude!

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Got a new slave cylinder yesterday and installed it along with the JPC clutch line kit.

Also borrowed a load leveler from a buddy, and had a friend help me drop it in this time.

ec9e41d5.jpg

20326253.jpg

Still had a little bit of trouble getting it to line up, but that was mostly because the motor mounts hit the studs and its hard to keep the trans in place. I put the cross member bolts back in the trans and did a little shoving and it went in about 150 times easier than the first time.

c635caf2.jpg

Got all the trans bolts tight, trans cross member, motor mounts (not easy with new headers) and all I need is a little clip and the clutch line will be all installed too.

Now starts the "hook everything back up" process. It came apart really quick but most things do. I just want to put everything back how it was, which may take a little time. The next two pain in the ass things are going to be the starter and the steering shaft. Once I have those done I can start plugging shit back in and put the radiator and stuff back in.

72 lb injectors have shipped, BAP is here, Torco has shipped. It's really up to me now to keep working until its done.

Couple more pics...I didn't notice when I took it out, but the rod that broke actually smacked the starter

42fa90c7.jpg

Pretty wild because that starter isn't exactly up against the block.

Also here's how I keep from going crazy because I have no car in summer

206f65ba.jpg

Swenson's is soooooo good (I doubt many people on here even know what it is. It's like a drive in burger place)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back