Coyote shortblock build

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Lol yeah I was aware of possible piston issues and sure didn't want to go back with stockers. Turning up the boost probably didn't help things. From
the looks of it I'm glad the pistons didn't completely blow and hurt the heads. It actually still ran ok. It just idled a little rough and smoked bad. Goal is now a solid 650rwhp pump gas daily driver or more if I can get it.

What did u up the boost to before it blew.

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
What did u up the boost to before it blew.

Should've been 10+ lbs of boost. Never got the boost gauge working right. I went from 3.75 stock pulley to 3" pulley. Also did BAP, Edelbrock CAI, colder plugs, and tune. Was an animal and can't wait to get it back going.

bestmustangparts

Reaction score
Just assembled my Boss short block last night..

Working on a write-up. I have all of the part numbers and everything - however the 2011-2012 block is no longer available, as they are replacing it with the no-squirter block ;)

No machining required. I did use a bore gauge though, to move the pistons around an average out the clearance. You don't want to put the smallest piston in the biggest hole.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_3639.jpg
    IMG_3639.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 35

bestmustangparts

Reaction score
FYI - the production Boss oil pan is cheap and it has better baffles.
It's the 302R pan from the race car that's insanely priced.

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
Well the $139 one isn't out of reach and it's an improvement.

Not sure it would be worth it to me, but yes that's not too bad of a price. I did upgrade the oil pump gears to billet units and the valve springs to the Boss units. I just didn't see the need for the oil pan myself. I'll be drag racing the car more than anything and just a daily driver. No other types of racing for me.

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
I bought the Boss shortblock complete with the blockoff plates. I left it alone and don't plan on putting them in.

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe if I was autocrossing or road racing. Something holding higher RPM for extended times I could see the value. I'd rather have less windage and gain a few HP up high. Plus they just make me nervous. Not sure what happens if you get some clogged and only a few pistons are being cooled or hit with the oil. Plus they don't run them in the Boss motors or the new motors.

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
It's alive! Got it running today. I've put about 20 miles on it and runs great. That is not something I hope to do again anytime soon. What a PIA these cars are to work on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back