Coyote vs 3v exhaust sound.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Re: distributor in the new trucks, I was making fun of them changing to a firing order that helped limit cross firing in a distributor app - when there's no way that's why they'd do it today. It's a mystery!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Re: distributor in the new trucks, I was making fun of them changing to a firing order that helped limit cross firing in a distributor app - when there's no way that's why they'd do it today. It's a mystery!
I think the vibrations are slightly different, and refining/changing the NVH for one reason or another was what drove the change.

Norm.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your generation isn't as bad as they are made out to be. From about 1970 till about 2000 there was seismic shift in American culture. The 70's were bleak. The 80's drug and money fueled, the 90's more money but computer everything (and flannel). Since 2000 most stuff has just been coasting IMO.

Last edited:

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a coyote powered fox body sounds better than the newer Mustangs? Might be due to muffler location, not in the rear like newer models.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a coyote powered fox body sounds better than the newer Mustangs? Might be due to muffler location, not in the rear like newer models.

Muffler is probably mid mount. I was able to mid mount mount flow through on an xpipe setup on my 3v.....sounds amazing. I love the 2v sound and this is as close as I can get it.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
+1

Its funny, even hardcore gm guys like the sound of an sn95 lol. Mid mounting definitely helps but I noticed there is still trumpeting that cant be cured. After my drivers side axleback delete slippedout of the hangers again a few months back I removed them and kept them off so its pretty much dumped after the rear axle. Its loud but I like it and gets rid of most if not all of the trumpeting.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
Exhaust sound? Really? Coyote vs. 3V? I couldn't care less if the Coyote was dead silent-it's a Coyote!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Exhaust sound? Really? Coyote vs. 3V? I couldn't care less if the Coyote was dead silent-it's a Coyote!
Getting the 'right' exhaust sound is close to top priority for some people, and there's enough of them to support an entire subset of the aftermarket performance parts business.

I understand where you're coming from (I'm not too fussy about the sound either), but I also realize that not everybody has this "function over form" attitude about everything.

Norm

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I envy all you you born before my time. My generation is pretty pathetic tbh and I feel like we're going to be the downfall of our nation.

I hear you! I have almost no friends my age lol. I'm born 93 as well. Also April 17th lol. Born into the mustang world.

From my gathering was that ford did Research on finding a specific sound for the mustang way long ago and ended up with the 13726548 which gave it it's distinct sound. Take 2 302's and use the original 302 firing order and the HO firing order and you'll get 2 completely different sounds. Also I believe a cam that runs on the HO firing order will not work on the Standard firing order. I believe they are ground different. I could be wrong there, can't remember. If you look at the LS its firing order is similar to the HO or 4.6 firing order. 13726548 and LS is 18726543. The 3 and 8 are swapped. That minor change gives a small change in the exhaust note in the LS engines. Now what I believe Ford went for was a better scavenging and pulsing exhaust by changing the firing order from the 13726548 to 15486372. On the HO version the double fire on one bank is 13 and 65 where in the new coyote order you double fire on one bank is 86 in the middle. Yes when the firing order ends you get a 2 to 1 double fire on same bank. Would be interesting if there was someone who built a coyote in stock form to run the old HO order and see if there is in fact a power increase.

Back in the day the power difference was in the camshaft. The big reason for different firing order was to have a distinct sound for the mustang only.

If i'm off or just flat out wrong please let me know. This is what I had gathered over my years of loving the mustang.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you look at the LS its firing order is similar to the HO or 4.6 firing order. 13726548 and LS is 18726543.

Ford and GM identify the particular cylinder differently.

Ford is 1-2-3-4 up the passenger side and 5-6-7-8 up the driver side front to back. GM is 1-3-5-7 up the passenger side and 2-4-6-8 up the driver side front to back.

Putting them in the same cylinder location makes the FO's this...

HO 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
LS 1-8-4-5-7-3-6-2

Back in the day the power difference was in the camshaft. The big reason for different firing order was to have a distinct sound for the mustang only.

Wrong. 351W had this "HO" firing order back in 1969. 351C/351M/400M Also used it. Got ZERO to do with having a particular sound. I have nothing to back it up but read that Ford found the "HO" firing order ran smoother and made more power than the other 289/302 firing order. I also read that the HO firing order was better for EFI, but they used the non-HO firing order with EFI too so I don't buy that idea.

Would be interesting if there was someone who built a coyote in stock form to run the old HO order and see if there is in fact a power increase.

Did you read this thread? When the '15 5.0 trucks came out Ford changed the power rating and they went to the HO firing order. Mere coincidence? I coudln't say for sure, but I doubt it was done on a whim or for a sound. Was either for power or NVH is my guess.

Last edited:

BEAR

Reaction score
Its hard to beat an un-muffled non-pollution controlled tuned BOSS COYOTE at 7800RPM when it comes to good vibrations.

picture.php

In a 2200lb car outstanding.:shedevil:

picture.php

Last edited:

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Ford and GM identify the particular cylinder differently.

Ford is 1-2-3-4 up the passenger side and 5-6-7-8 up the driver side front to back. GM is 1-3-5-7 up the passenger side and 2-4-6-8 up the driver side front to back.

Putting them in the same cylinder location makes the FO's this...

HO 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
LS 1-8-4-5-7-3-6-2

Wrong. 351W had this "HO" firing order back in 1969. 351C/351M/400M Also used it. Got ZERO to do with having a particular sound. I have nothing to back it up but read that Ford found the "HO" firing order ran smoother and made more power than the other 289/302 firing order. I also read that the HO firing order was better for EFI, but they used the non-HO firing order with EFI too so I don't buy that idea.

Did you read this thread? When the '15 5.0 trucks came out Ford changed the power rating and they went to the HO firing order. Mere coincidence? I coudln't say for sure, but I doubt it was done on a whim or for a sound. Was either for power or NVH is my guess.

Hey thanks for that and wow I completely must have read right over that part. Very interesting. Does Any one know if they are continuing to keep the 5.0 firing order for the mustang or even swap that out to the 4.6 firing order?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back