Crankshaft and Main bearings-Help!!!

Mustang504

Reaction score
Ive recently come across an 01 Cobra Crankshaft for my 05 3v 4.6. The crank has been turned -0.020 and the machinist say that there are no bearings to fit! Can anybody point me in the right direction? This is just to hard to believe. Crank is forged for standard/manual coming from a 4valve aluminum 01 block, transferring to an aluminum 05 standard/manual block with 3valve heads. Only thing holding up the build are Main Bearings.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume it was a 2" main?
Wait was it a 2.658" main

Mustang504

Reaction score
I'm going to assume it was a 2" main?
Wait was it a 2.658" main

Not sure, he didnt state its origional size before the turning nor did he state the size after. He simply said "this crank is .020 under, there aren't any bearings for that". I was completely dumbfounded! The guy is an older gentleman so im hoping he isnt "up to date" on part availability. Id sure hate to trash this crank when it came out of a nearly identical block with the correct mains and rods.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
.020" can also be represented as .050mm. I'm sure they exist. Have you tried looking them up on Summit or Modmax?

Mustang504

Reaction score

Bless You!!! Thank you guys so much. Now I have to determine if I trust him in building it.

.020" can also be represented as .050mm. I'm sure they exist. Have you tried looking them up on Summit or Modmax?

Bruce, I was just looking at modmax but there office closed at 6pm. and yes i spoke with a guy at summit that said the .508mm was equivalent to the .020 but for some reason specs on the block were to question because of a .001 difference.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bless You!!! Thank you guys so much. Now I have to determine if I trust him in building it.

Bruce, I was just looking at modmax but there office closed at 6pm. and yes i spoke with a guy at summit that said the .508mm was equivalent to the .020 but for some reason specs on the block were to question because of a .001 difference.

As long as he follows the Ford assembly manual it won't matter. If he starts clearancing it like it's a sbc race motor then you will have issues. The mod motors should have rod and main clearances between .001-.002". Those numbers are rounded from the metric standards. Side rod should be .006-.020". Crank endplay is .015 max iirc. All the specs are located here: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=158&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

Mustang504

Reaction score
As long as he follows the Ford assembly manual it won't matter. If he starts clearancing it like it's a sbc race motor then you will have issues. The mod motors should have rod and main clearances between .001-.002". Those numbers are rounded from the metric standards. Side rod should be .006-.020". Crank endplay is .015 max iirc. All the specs are located here: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=158&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

Thanks... ill be reading over this for the next few days. Tomorrow I will have the crank polished and and also order those clevite .020 under bearings. Cant wait to get this stuff over with. I pray i dont have to go through this again :headscratch:

Back