Custom honeycomb tail light question

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so i ordered the honeycomb tail light trim for my 08 GT from American Muscle. Turned out it was just a 50 dollar vinyl decal, and I'm a bit disappointed with how it looks when your close up to the car. So I had the idea to smoke them with VHT while the decal is still on, and then remove them, leaving the honeycomb pattern illuminated when I brake. I looked up some DIY guides for doing this, and I know I should prep by sanding with 2000 grit wet sandpaper and dish soap. My question is when I do this, will it tear the decal off? I'm sorry if this seems dumb to all the seasoned techs, but I couldn't find any info on this particularly. Thanks for any advice.

jslatts

Reaction score
just thought id let you know. I was talking to a guy at CJ Pony parts Customer appreciation event and he said he tried the SAME thing and it comes out look like a bunch of dots, you cant really see the honeycomb to well.

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Yea thats what I imagined it would come out like but i didn't think the honeycomb wouldn't show through. Do you know how many times he coated it? I talked to a guy at my local body shop and he said that I don't have to sand it, I just need to make sure to clean the tail lights really well then spray it lightly with 3 coats. Then I could just take it over there and he said they'd make it look shiny. I can't stand those crap smoke jobs that look all hazy.

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I smoked and removed the honeycomb, and I have to say that it definitely is something that looks nice in person, as opposed to the vinyl that just looks nice in pictures. I'll post pics later. This will have to suffice until cervinis finished with my tail light conversion kit.

Mr. President

Reaction score
Ok so I smoked and removed the honeycomb, and I have to say that it definitely is something that looks nice in person, as opposed to the vinyl that just looks nice in pictures. I'll post pics later. This will have to suffice until cervinis finished with my tail light conversion kit.

Any pics yet??

LvMyStang

forum member
Reaction score
It depends on how long you want the paint to stay on. If not for a long time, skip the sanding procedure. I'm about to start smoking tail lights and corner lights for the first time soon but that's what I was told about sanding.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back