Custom Splitter on a CDC Classic Chin Spoiler

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
We thought of that but couldn't find any that would look good.

Not being able to find something you're imagining in your head is the worst. Especially something simple like damn weatherstripping.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Not being able to find something you're imagining in your head is the worst. Especially something simple like damn weatherstripping.

Tell me about it! We drove around for at least 2hrs hitting every store we could think of! Nada.

killermustang

forum member
Reaction score
First thing I thought was the bottom of a aluminum boat, sorry for the crappy pic I don't know what their called so its the best I could find on google.

from-rear-of-under-boat-M.jpg

That guy's diffuser also got the gears turning in my head. I have no idea how he bent up those strakes.

P1010611.JPG

P1010612.JPG

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Those are some pretty inconspicuous welds then because I can't see them. lol The only other way I can think is that he made a mold and stamped them out.

To metal finish a weld on an outside corner like that is pretty easy. It is still a buttload of fabwork to make those up. That's a pretty deep draw in a narrow space to stamp them.

I want them, I may have to build a set like that for the 66.

As for the weather stripping, next time you need something wierd try Steele Rubber.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
First thing I thought was the bottom of a aluminum boat, sorry for the crappy pic I don't know what their called so its the best I could find on google.

I wonder if they did find some existing boat parts. That would make things a LOT easier!

I’m just guessing, but I think 908SSP’s is probably more functional.

IMG_1841_zps4d5be4e0.jpg

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I wonder if they did find some existing boat parts. That would make things a LOT easier!

I’m just guessing, but I think 908SSP’s is probably more functional.

IMG_1841_zps4d5be4e0.jpg

I would tend to agree with you. Jack's, while pretty and effective at actually making the stock ones at least a little bit functional, still don't extend far enough into the airstream to do a good job of 'diffusing' the air. Not to mention that he doesn't have a flat bottom so it probably doesn't do more than look nice and reduce a little bit of drag.

Rear%2520diffuser%2520pic%2520from%2520iphone.JPG

908SSp's on the other hand are an inspiration to all of those who want a ground effects aero car. lol I have a project in my head for modifying my stock bumper that will be in line with what Alex did.

It'll be kind of like the C6.R (Take note of the Heat exchanger in the trunk Jason) with the Mesh above the diffuser to let the trapped air escape.

Chevrolet%20Corvette%20C6.R%20wallpaper%20galleries.jpg

Although I wish I could do something as extravagant as the 599XX

Ferrari-599XX_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_08.jpg

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
908SSp's on the other hand are an inspiration to all of those who want a ground effects aero car. lol I have a project in my head for modifying my stock bumper that will be in line with what Alex did.
Me too, my diffuser (still not 100% done) is almost an exact copy of Alex's (Alex made most of it, imagine that!). My exhaust dumps at the axle though so we used the space to exhaust the rear tires/wheels. Its going to look pretty crazy from the back.

It'll be kind of like the C6.R (Take note of the Heat exchanger in the trunk Jason) with the Mesh above the diffuser to let the trapped air escape.
Very cool. Do you know what the HE is cooling? Transaxle?

Although I wish I could do something as extravagant as the 599XX

Ferrari-599XX_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_08.jpg

Love that car!

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I too thought of doing what you did as a basis for mounting a splitter as well as a good upgrade for if I made the splitter a track only piece.

I was inspired by this racecar.
P1010607.JPG

That guy's diffuser also got the gears turning in my head. I have no idea how he bent up those strakes.

P1010611.JPG

P1010612.JPG

What kind of ideas do you have for the rest of your aero package?

That is pretty cool looking but I had not seen that before.

The first picture below is of the top side supports and the rear support. The rear square tube support is bolted through an existing wheel well opening hole. The front of the top side supports use the existing fascia screw mounts.

The second picture show the top side supports and the bottom side supports in place. not all pieces were cut to length in this photo.

The center bottom side aluminum flat stock hides the seam in the two panels in the last picture. This is the finished project except that I later cut a hole for the radiator drain tube and plugged it with a rubber body hole plug.

I also haf my first attempt ar venting underhood air. These shots are the cuts in the hood and with the louvered vents just setting in place.

And I used the stock lower grill with hogging out the honeycomb on the outer portions for "hidden" brake ventilation which yo ucan see some of the ducting in some of my pictures.

Attachments

• spoiler fill 9.JPG
    spoiler fill 9.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 89
  • spoiler fill 8.JPG
    spoiler fill 8.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 88
  • spoiler fill 13.JPG
    spoiler fill 13.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 93
  • hd 1.JPG
    hd 1.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 86
  • hd 3.JPG
    hd 3.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 89

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Me too, my diffuser (still not 100% done) is almost an exact copy of Alex's (Alex made most of it, imagine that!). My exhaust dumps at the axle though so we used the space to exhaust the rear tires/wheels. Its going to look pretty crazy from the back.

I wish I could do dumps. I drive my car too much though. lol I'm actually rather happy with my off-road X and stock mufflers. Loud when I want it, quiet when I need it.

Very cool. Do you know what the HE is cooling? Transaxle?

080409_20.jpg

Not sure. It is only logical for that to be the case. The airflow to the rear isn't good enough to support engine cooling. It seems the quarter panel NACA ducts feed fresh air and the fan sucks it into the low pressure zone just like on your car. Its hard to tell if there are two HEs or just one. There seems to be a smaller one tucked behind the bumper.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
That is pretty cool looking but I had not seen that before.

The first picture below is of the top side supports and the rear support. The rear square tube support is bolted through an existing wheel well opening hole. The front of the top side supports use the existing fascia screw mounts.

The second picture show the top side supports and the bottom side supports in place. not all pieces were cut to length in this photo.

The center bottom side aluminum flat stock hides the seam in the two panels in the last picture. This is the finished project except that I later cut a hole for the radiator drain tube and plugged it with a rubber body hole plug.

I also haf my first attempt ar venting underhood air. These shots are the cuts in the hood and with the louvered vents just setting in place.

And I used the stock lower grill with hogging out the honeycomb on the outer portions for "hidden" brake ventilation which yo ucan see some of the ducting in some of my pictures.

Looks good. I'm sure the chin doesn't budge a bit.

Is there a particular reason you chose the pattern you did on the hood vents.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I should change the thread title to Custom Splitter on a CDC Classic Chin Spoiler and other aerodynamic shit.

lol

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. I'm sure the chin doesn't budge a bit.

Is there a particular reason you chose the pattern you did on the hood vents.

I tried to go approximately where the GT 500 front scoop went and some a little farther back (think super-snake) but not to close to the windshield high pressure zone. Most are also not directly above anything in the engine bay so rain water would pass mostly to the ground). Then I cut between the under hood supports. After i was done, I've tried string taped near the vents and so see some air movement at highway speeds that seems to support air coming out of the hood but I want to add scoops on the underside of the hood to help direct the air out. It certainly aids in cooling the engine bay after I turn it off.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Good to go. Anything is better than nothing. It is kind of neat to see heat waves coming out of the vents on cold days while parked. :thumb2:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just found this thread - sorry for late replies to old posts. :beer:

It is good to get the air out of the engine bay, but I have to say that getting out through the hood is the most ideal route especially since it will create downforce along the way. Venting it out under the car does the opposite.

My ultimate aero goals for the hood and venting the air are to fabricate a deep draw 'ramp' that mates to ductwork under the hood. This, in addition to completely sealing in the heat exchanger and radiator, would leave the air coming through the grill nowhere to go but through my cooling devices and out the top. A la Corvette C6.R.

Yes, venting air from the engine bay is normally done all from under the car. Which is not what we want to do at all, as this causes lift. And we want the opposite - reduce flow under the car, which creates downforce and reduces drag. One major goal for all major front aero work should be venting the engine bay out of the hood.

I am no aero expert, but I know a few who are. Here are a few really good NASA News articles that anyone interested in automotive aero should read, linked below. They are all written by aero guru Neil Roberts, who I raced with in college and still talk to from time to time.

I have these articles printed out and they are required reading for everyone that works at Vorshlag, along with several Carol Smith books and Neil's book, Think FAST. His Think FAST Engineering blog is also worth reading periodically, too. Neil isn't an internet expert, but an actual Aero Engineer who has designed and worked with Indycars, designed aircraft & drones, etc (see more here).

_DSC0359-M.jpg

We're discussing our splitter work over on our build thread, but I guess we could go into more detail here. Once we get the new aero work completed I will post up more details in this thread.

_DSC0321-M.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry and for showing off some more of that awesome ducting.

I've got all of those articles saved on my tablet for reference. I also have read Think FAST and am about half way through TUNE to WIN. Some really great gouge in there that I'm sure everyone can benefit from.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Does the 2010+ styles vented under engine cover fit 05-09s? Part #???

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back