Custom Splitter on a CDC Classic Chin Spoiler

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
So, I'm working on a splitter MkII revision right now and will post an update when it's done. In the meantime, with regards to the relevant discussion on venting the underhood air/heat/pressure I present to you this:

Ya. I know. It's awesome. I'll be starting a separate thread soon with my review of these louvers from Trackspec Motorsports.

Track tested and approved... by me. So take that how you will.

Last edited:

neema

forum member
Reaction score
So, I'm working on a splitter MkII revision right now and will post an update when it's done. In the meantime, with regards to the relevant discussion on venting the underhood air/heat/pressure I present to you this:

WP_20140415_14_01_20_Pro.jpg

Ya. I know. It's awesome. I'll be starting a separate thread soon with my review of these louvers from Trackspec Motorsports.

Track tested and approved... by me. So take that how you will.

DSC_0019.NEF.jpg

picture no worky. can't see the awesome.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Hmm. Guess it doesn't like me linking my to my Onedrive. Photobucket it is.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Can I borrow your tiller?

Have you guys seen any that rotate open with they see a pressure differential? That'd be hawt.

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
I think I need to read this whole damn thread! Cool stuff going on. Is it mentioned somewhere where you got those vents?

Oh, that essplains it.

srslytho, louvers that open under pressure? I just visited vquez's house and like the ones he has, but wouldn't mind if they let less water in while the car was parked.

Off topic but were you on Zilvia or Freshalloy back in the day?
I recognize the user name just cant recall from where.

Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I think I need to read this whole damn thread! Cool stuff going on. Is it mentioned somewhere where you got those vents?

Trackspec Motorsports

The louvers aren't on their site as of yet, but they will be. Right now they sell the standard fare of parts, but they've got some custom trick stuff in the works. They're also a new vendor on this site. John is my contact there and he's a great guy with lots of ideas. There are many things I'd like to see a company produce and these guys are thinking about doing many of them. John approached me a few months back and wanted to know what sort of track focused parts I wanted to see available. Louvers were something I threw out there, but as it turns out he had already been working on these. The final product came out fantastic. If these louvers are any indication of what the rest of their products will be like, I foresee many of us sending a lot of money their way.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Off topic but were you on Zilvia or Freshalloy back in the day?
I recognize the user name just cant recall from where.
Yes to both. I got my first real build experience with my S13 track car, and detailed the sh*t outta my build on FreshAlloy (FA) and other boards. I leveraged my "240 internets fame" to design and sell ~100 bracket kits for S-chassis that allow Wilwood Superlites and 350Z Track calipers to be used, and am actually working on something similar for the Mustang. zquez saw them yesterday.

I dropped FA not too long after Russ ranted and got banned. In addition to being his friend, I didn't think his rant was that far off base and the new "management" was a bunch of a$$clowns unless you were a sponsor. Meaning you could do whatever you wanted and were beyond questioning from those of us in GenPop. When it stopped being about the knowledge base (which was fantastic and helped me through MANY projects) and more about making money, I decided I had enough and left. I'm still on Zilvia, but only to water the seed for my brackets and answer PMs.

I bought my Mustang after selling my 2003 Pathfinder and S14 / LSJuan project. I took a traveling consulting job and just went from 1-3 kids, and had little to no time to wrenches as often as I needed. The Mustang is a FANTASTIC dual-porpoise platform. I've DD it for 2.5 years now with two HPDEs /year, and am about to extend that to 3 by hitting Roebling in a week.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
View attachment 48046
Damn Jason....that's identical to the hood you've been hounding. Unicorns are real!

Did I tell you I found one of the two of those hoods that were made? The guy who had it thought it was made of gold. Like some day it would go on Barrett Jackson for big money or something. When in fact it is pretty much worthless.

That hood is a stock GT500 hood with louvers "grafted" into it. Not light, not trick. No tricker than Zach's hood.

The money he wanted would have gotten me a one off made of carbon.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Did I tell you I found one of the two of those hoods that were made? The guy who had it thought it was made of gold. Like some day it would go on Barrett Jackson for big money or something. When in fact it is pretty much worthless.

That hood is a stock GT500 hood with louvers "grafted" into it. Not light, not trick. No tricker than Zach's hood.

The money he wanted would have gotten me a one off made of carbon.

Yeah some people and their hood pride.....

I offered the asking price and $150 to cover shipping on Ross' hood. No go somehow.

You know these louvers are slick and I am sure they vent fair. The placement is in the right spot, but there is no vertical rise before the louvers to make a high-pressure zone to draw out air more efficiently. I don't think you need that rise if you box everything in and channel it out.

That your plans? Vent it and box it?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Yeah some people and their hood pride.....

I offered the asking price and $150 to cover shipping on Ross' hood. No go somehow.

You know these louvers are slick and I am sure they vent fair. The placement is in the right spot, but there is no vertical rise before the louvers to make a high-pressure zone to draw out air more efficiently. I don't think you need that rise if you box everything in and channel it out.

My plans up until I saw those vents was to put a Tiger Racing hood on and call it done. Now I don't know what I'm going to do.

Nothing new there:) (me not knowing what I'm going to do)

Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score

My plans include boxing it out, but that's down the road. I have to relocate my supercharger overflow tank first (hint, hint, hint Jason) and get a radiator with tanks big enough to not need an overflow.

The hood already has a low pressure zone over it, and the under hood is high pressure so I'm sure it works pretty well as is. That said, a gurney flap type device to help increase the vacuum is probably the only thing I might suggest adding to these, but it would look better if it was part of the hood and not the louver section. Maybe I'll do that when I re-paint the hood after every other mod is done. lol There are countless rock chips that look like ass, but ya know, it's a race car. Fuck it.

The things I plan to do right now to help these louvers work better are these:

• Add weatherstripping to the leading edge underside of the hood. Now that I can look in from the top when it's closed, there is a good 1" to 1.5" gap between the hood and the radiator cover.
  • Finish extending my splitter to the K member to force the air over the car.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
At least you don't have an intake tube to worry about in that area. Could you put your overflow tanks in the battery's location (assuming you move it)?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
At least you don't have an intake tube to worry about in that area. Could you put your overflow tanks in the battery's location (assuming you move it)?

Yes he could. 908SSP built something exactly like that for his 2010 way back when. It worked great.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back