Cutting Carbon Fiber

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Replacing the OEM radiator cover and CDC extensions with a TruFiber radiator cover. With the Vortech SC the OEM power steering reservoir is relocated to the passenger side of the radiator. I notched my CDC extension to suit the reservoir and would like to do the same thing to the carbon fiber cover.

Does anyone have experience with cutting carbon fiber? I was thinking about using a coping saw with a 41 tooth spiral blade. Any better ideas?

cwZJnR0.jpg

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I'd recommend a dremel with a high speed cutoff wheel for the rough cut and then sanding discs or drums for the finished product. Clear lacquer can be used to seal the cut section. Wear a quality mask and safety glasses.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
you can cut carbon fiber with anything that cuts fiberglass.
the most important thing to remember is the dust is EXTREMELY hazardous to your body. the fibers will penetrate anything that touches it and they are EXTREMELY hard to remove, this is why it's considered hazardous. doing a small cut like you describe isn't a big deal, doing larger areas can create significant problems without the proper safety equipment.
wear eye, lung and skin protection. DO NOT BLOW the dust away, vacuum it up with a shop vac with a new filter. also work in a well ventilated area.
understand the hazards it presents and respect it and you will do just fine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back