Debate on Turbo on a 5.0

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Curious....did this car have an engine failure with this kit? I heard that on 6lbs. of boost the engine took a poop. Just wondering how safe this is....

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
Curious....did this car have an engine failure with this kit? I heard that on 6lbs. of boost the engine took a poop. Just wondering how safe this is....

You talking about this specific engine?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Not trying to roll a turd here however I have a source of information who spoke with one of the individuals that was present during the tuning of the car stating that the engine went south.

My point of interest in this is I am looking to go forced induction beginning next year and am undecided at this time. I would like to have all necessary information about issues that arose before making a decision on where to spend my money. Hope that makes sense.

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
Not trying to roll a turd here however I have a source of information who spoke with one of the individuals that was present during the tuning of the car stating that the engine went south.

My point of interest in this is I am looking to go forced induction beginning next year and am undecided at this time. I would like to have all necessary information about issues that arose before making a decision on where to spend my money. Hope that makes sense.

If thats the case, It probably would have been more professional to send a PM to the op, than risking stirring up the rumor mill in the thread. Just my .02. No hard feelings meant.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
And whether the motor went south or not, at 6 psi the failure has more to do with the tune than which power adder was used. These motors have proven themselves to be reliable to over 650rwh with a good tune. 6 psi from any power adder is well within that range.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
If thats the case, It probably would have been more professional to send a PM to the op, than risking stirring up the rumor mill in the thread. Just my .02. No hard feelings meant.

Right but what good would that do the community? If it happened I am interested in knowing why and if it is public info then everyone benefits. :thumb:

There is no shame in stating the cause of the failure. It helps the next person from making the same mistake.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Right but what good would that do the community? If it happened I am interested in knowing why and if it is public info then everyone benefits. :thumb:

There is no shame in stating the cause of the failure. It helps the next person from making the same mistake.

Then state facts instead of "I heard".

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
The short of it is, putting ANY amount of boost to a stock engine is a gamble. Period.

If you are worried about blowing an engine, then leave it stock. Hot rodding is not for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Feel free not to respond....

I would like to know if and why. If you have nothing to add then move on....

I choose my freedom to post. Thanks.

If you're looking for that sort of specific information, PM them. Once you have that information (facts), then post it up in your own thread.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I choose my freedom to post. Thanks.

If you're looking for that sort of specific information, PM them. Once you have that information (facts), then post it up in your own thread.

No. I posted in this thread as it is directly related. There should be no secrecy or hiding the truth. Making my own thread on this topic serves no purpose and makes no sense.

I expect they will respond accordingly regardless of your opinion on how the info should be disseminated.

ubeenbit

forum member
Reaction score
If true, the only issue I see with disclosure is whether or not the owner of the car wanted it posted publicly.

Sent from my iPhone on an overpriced data plan

Justin@JPC

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hi WBT, how safe is what? A turbo kit or forced induction in general? How would a kit's design blow up an engine? Furthermore, the customers engine didn't "blow up" it had the dreaded #8 ringland/piston failure, which has happened on many stock cars with performance tunes, I know you are well researched, so I'm sure you've read about it. So I guess you could say it's not safe to put a tune on a stock 5.0L either?

So if my customer made over 650rwhp and has run more than 6psi, and raced it/beats the living shit out of it, which his car did and was, couldn't anything happen? Does it mean all the cars that have had engine issues with a Procharger or Vortech or Whipple or Hellion aren't safe either and their kits are designed wrong? Seriously?

Also, there was no-one "present during the time of tuning and engine failure", your facts are skewed, I hadn't seen the car for over 3 weeks and he called to say "it's running fine and strong but I have more smoke coming out of my breather than normal" We did a test and took it apart to be sure. I have an N/A car in the shop with the exact same issue right now, that we never touched.

Look, I understand you dislike Tommy and like to put him down on any and every occasion you can, but this is my company and our product, so please remember, Tommy is just the messenger. BTW thanks for the compliments on the kit. Thanks JB

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Hi WBT, how safe is what? A turbo kit or forced induction in general? How would a kit's design blow up an engine? Furthermore, the customers engine didn't "blow up" it had the dreaded #8 ringland/piston failure, which has happened on many stock cars with performance tunes, I know you are well researched, so I'm sure you've read about it. So I guess you could say it's not safe to put a tune on a stock 5.0L either?

So if my customer made over 650rwhp and has run more than 6psi, and raced it/beats the living shit out of it, which his car did and was, couldn't anything happen? Does it mean all the cars that have had engine issues with a Procharger or Vortech or Whipple or Hellion aren't safe either and their kits are designed wrong? Seriously?

Also, there was no-one "present during the time of tuning and engine failure", your facts are skewed, I hadn't seen the car for over 3 weeks and he called to say "it's running fine and strong but I have more smoke coming out of my breather than normal" We did a test and took it apart to be sure. I have an N/A car in the shop with the exact same issue right now, that we never touched.

Look, I understand you dislike Tommy and like to put him down on any and every occasion you can, but this is my company and our product, so please remember, Tommy is just the messenger. BTW thanks for the compliments on the kit. Thanks JB

Let's correct a few things:

1. Sounds like a tuning issue occurred because that is the case with other #8 failures as you have hopefully read about.....
2. Like you said anything can happen. I don't disagree with that.
3. I have no beef with Tommy. Never spoke with or met him in my life. I have no idea where this came from and would love to see where I have done so.
4. I inquired because I am interested in going forced induction next year. I am looking at what is on the market and I want to know the in's and out's before I decide where I spend my money. Is that a crime?

Is there something going on I am not aware of?

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Let's correct a few things:

1. Sounds like a tuning issue occurred because that is the case with other #8 failures as you have hopefully read about.....
2. Like you said anything can happen. I don't disagree with that.
3. I have no beef with Tommy. Never spoke with or met him in my life. I have no idea where this came from and would love to see where I have done so.
4. I inquired because I am interested in going forced induction next year. I am looking at what is on the market and I want to know the in's and out's before I decide where I spend my money. Is that a crime?

Is there something going on I am not aware of?

If you're not going FI until next year, why are you so concerned with this stuff now? You got months to sit back and wait for more engines to blow up and/or run great.

All of this could have been handled in a PM to the OP.

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
If you're not going FI until next year, why are you so concerned with this stuff now? You got months to sit back and wait for more engines to blow up and/or run great.

All of this could have been handled in a PM to the OP.

There is really no point now. We have all greedily ruined a vendors thread.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back