Decided to Repaint my whole car. Progress Pics

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Some more progress pictures. About have everything ready for first prime. Gonna take the bumpers off tomorrow, and the rest of the lights and moldings. Also, I need to take the antenna base off, but not real sure how it comes off. Hasn't changed a whole lot since the last pictures, but I havent worked on it until today. :beer:
IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Shave the door handles, fill in the hole where the antenna and side fender GT emblem holes are, do a spoiler delete while you're at it.

I'd make it as smooth as possible if I had the talent.

Mattamus

forum member
Reaction score
Why not ditch the faux cap and trunk lock while your at it?

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Shave the door handles, fill in the hole where the antenna and side fender GT emblem holes are, do a spoiler delete while you're at it.

I'd make it as smooth as possible if I had the talent.

Already did a spoiler delete since I have a CDC ducktail for it. I would like to delete the antenna, but will probaly just leave it. Gotta leave the emblem holes b/c I want some 6cyl ponypackage emblems on it instead of gt emblems.

Why not ditch the faux cap and trunk lock while your at it?
It looks good in your sig pic, but I am one of the few that like the faux cap. More of a retro thing I guess. Thats why I put the ducktail on it, and will be putting on flush louvers and tribar pony emblems on the fenders. :naughty1:

Mattamus

forum member
Reaction score
Well I am sure you will have your car looking sharp in no time soldier!

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
Nice progress, looking forward to seeing the results. Are you going to 3M it when your done to try and protect it from those damn rockchips

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Nice progress, looking forward to seeing the results. Are you going to 3M it when your done to try and protect it from those damn rockchips

I highly recommend the clearbra. I've applied it to my car more or less in all "vulnerable" areas. Some people are really against it but I love 3M clearbra! If you're somewhat good with your hands, which it seems like the OP is, then a DIY is definitely in order to save some money.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, been busy and havent had a chance to upload and get recent pics up. I will as soon as I get a chance.

I need to research the 3m clear bra stuff I think. Can you tell that its on the car? Also, it it permanent?

JimC

Reaction score
You asked about the antenna base removal - it is pretty easy. The top cap will come up with a flathead screwdriver. The base itself is held in with 3 screws. You will need to fish the antenna lead out of the radio, through the firewall and the fender to completely remove it.

I just cut the lead off on mine because I didn't need it. I have the Metra powered antenna that mounts to the inside of the windshield.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Sorry guys, been busy and havent had a chance to upload and get recent pics up. I will as soon as I get a chance.

I need to research the 3m clear bra stuff I think. Can you tell that its on the car? Also, it it permanent?

It's not permanent. I would wait until the paint completely cures (which is what, like 2-3 months?) and then apply it because it seals pretty good. You can remove it later with some heat and some elbow grease. Depending on the paintjob, SOME people do have issues with it ripping the clearcoat right off but I've personally never had an issue.

It is not very visible. The darker your car, the more visible it is. The biggest issue with it for me is that when you wax your car, if you don't tape the edges of the clearbra, wax will get "stuck" on the edge and you'll see the edge because of the white (or whatever color) wax. You can use a q-tip and some alcohol to remove it.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
It's not permanent. I would wait until the paint completely cures (which is what, like 2-3 months?) and then apply it because it seals pretty good. You can remove it later with some heat and some elbow grease. Depending on the paintjob, SOME people do have issues with it ripping the clearcoat right off but I've personally never had an issue.

It is not very visible. The darker your car, the more visible it is. The biggest issue with it for me is that when you wax your car, if you don't tape the edges of the clearbra, wax will get "stuck" on the edge and you'll see the edge because of the white (or whatever color) wax. You can use a q-tip and some alcohol to remove it.

I love the 3m clear bra on my Bullitt, but if not removed properly it will damage your car. When my car was vandalized about a month ago the culprit ripped it off and damaged the paint on my bumper really badly... Its gonna have to be repainted..... :asshat:

Broke :(
Reaction score
I would love to be able to do this to mine; but being color-blind it's probably not such a great idea for me! :hi: LOL!!! Good luck and please keep us updated!

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I love the 3m clear bra on my Bullitt, but if not removed properly it will damage your car. When my car was vandalized about a month ago the culprit ripped it off and damaged the paint on my bumper really badly... Its gonna have to be repainted..... :asshat:

Ah that sucks man. Heat is definitely the key here. You need to warm it up to soften the vinyl and break down the adhesive.

Either way, once your bumper is repainted, remember that you need to let it cure COMPLETELY before the clear bra. That means at least 2-3 months. If you can, get another bumper, have that painted, and let it cure and just rock the busted bumper for a bit.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Will be updating with lots of pics soon. Been in the shop the last 10 hours putting the finishing touches of prep work on it. I will be taking it to the booth tomorrow and spraying thursday. Really excited to start wetsanding and buffing this weekend and get it back together!!!!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back