Defining Modern Muscle: Power vs Sound. What life you about!?

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I'd own or drive a powerful 4, or 6 cylinder car or truck, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it loud to show off the sound. Although I love the sound of a healthy V8, I don't like them to be super loud like alot of people. I laugh when I'm at the track, and someone pulls up in a loud ass car with a huge cam that should be in a dragster, and their time sucks balls, Then some street car pulls up, and you can't hear it until it goes full throttle and kicks ass all the way down the strip!

I think most people are under the assumption that loud=fast, and I entirely disagree, unless you're making north of 4 digit power, then it can't be helped, (in a lot of cases).

Phil1098

Reaction score
There is only one 4 cylinder that I think sounds good. Subaru.

I have to believe you are in the minority with that one. Everyone I know thinks those flat four WRX Subarus sound like absolute shit. They always sound like there is a dead miss or something wrong.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have to believe you are in the minority with that one. Everyone I know thinks those flat four WRX Subarus sound like absolute shit. They always sound like there is a dead miss or something wrong.

It's not buzzy. I hate buzzy.

1 Alibi 2

If not today, when ??????
Reaction score
My salesman couldn't understand why I didn't want the twin turbo 6 in the F150 I have on order.
...........................the one with the 10 speed with Auto stop/start..

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only engine that sounds shittier than a Subaru is a Harley.

I like both. In fact I like many different engines exhaust sounds for a variety of reasons. But I hate the buzzy sound of a Honda or the sound of the Ecoboost.

But above all else an engine's sound should be 100% a result of it's performance. Kind of a form follows function thing.

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
My salesman couldn't understand why I didn't want the twin turbo 6 in the F150 I have on order.

That whole auto/stop start is going to be a maintenance disaster. It's just another failed attempt at pleasing the EPA.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That whole auto/stop start is going to be a maintenance disaster. It's just another failed attempt at pleasing the EPA.

I have read it doesn't work if the truck is hooked to a trailer. It will be weeks till someone sells a module that plugs into the trailer plug to fool the truck into thinking a trailer is hooked up all the time.

Or a tune will turn it off. Or the dealer will turn it off upon customer complaint/request.

EDIT: Just looked at the 2018 owners manual. Besides not having a "trailer" connected it looks like if you select tow/haul, sport, sand, mud/rut or baja modes auto-start-stop is not enabled. There is also a button to turn it off for one key cycle, just like the ESC on the Mustangs for the last 10+ years. Also I noticed the acronym for auto-start-stop should be ASS. LOL!

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I rented a Volvo once and it has that stop/start feature. I quickly figured out how to turn it off.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I laugh when I'm at the track, and someone pulls up in a loud ass car with a huge cam that should be in a dragster, and their time sucks balls,

When I used to go out to the World Ford Challenge, there was a guy that showed up to run the brackets every year that did this. He was in a MN12 Mercury Cougar and would run open headers every pass. I think he was running 15's. I dunno maybe some people just like to make noise.

I'm shopping used F150's right now and specifically avoiding Ecoboost trucks. Besides the fact I don't really want a V6, I've owned a couple turbo engines and I don't want to deal with the high mileage headaches those engines will most likely end up with.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The pre-'17 EcoBoost F150's are dealing with lots of carbon build-up issues on the valves.
The change to the direct- and port-injection for '17+ is there to fix that.
We'll see how successful it is.
I'd still rather have the 5.0 in the F150, or if you can afford the gas, find a 6.2 F150, although they were only offered in the Raptor and the Limited/Harley Davidson models, I think

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The pre-'17 EcoBoost F150's are dealing with lots of carbon build-up issues on the valves.
The change to the direct- and port-injection for '17+ is there to fix that.
We'll see how successful it is.
I'd still rather have the 5.0 in the F150, or if you can afford the gas, find a 6.2 F150, although they were only offered in the Raptor and the Limited/Harley Davidson models, I think

There were some option packages that let you put the 6.2 into other trucks, mainly stripped down work trucks.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
This is the reason I love my 86 GT with a 351 Windsor in it. Great sound and lumpy cam. Old School. I understand technology but there is nothing like the old school lump of a cam with lot's of duration!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'd own or drive a powerful 4, or 6 cylinder car or truck, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it loud to show off the sound. Although I love the sound of a healthy V8, I don't like them to be super loud like alot of people. I laugh when I'm at the track, and someone pulls up in a loud ass car with a huge cam that should be in a dragster, and their time sucks balls, Then some street car pulls up, and you can't hear it until it goes full throttle and kicks ass all the way down the strip!

I think most people are under the assumption that loud=fast, and I entirely disagree, unless you're making north of 4 digit power, then it can't be helped, (in a lot of cases).

I am not down with the louder is better crew, I love a good tone. Which is why I have 4 mufflers on my car. Loud is just noise, it's hard to make a mustang sound shitty but some people get close with the loudness but it doesn't compare to the crap level of a loud 4 cylinder.

WARNING, CRINGE VIDEO! (skip to 0:52 if you're want that cringe RIGHT NOW)

travelers

Reaction score
The only engine that sounds shittier than a Subaru is a Harley.

Watch that Harley shit...... My 03 Deuce with all the work done to it sounds better then some V8s. Stock Hp is 64 and with the mods I have done with a dyno tuned it now makes 106Hp.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Watch that Harley shit...... My 03 Deuce with all the work done to it sounds better then some V8s. Stock Hp is 64 and with the mods I have done with a dyno tuned it now makes 106Hp.

... And it still sounds like a giant fart.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back