Diagnosis for scored cam lobe

Bobby

turbo gt about to go fast
Reaction score
just out side of charlotte north carolina
For starters, how many miles are on this engine? Springs get weaker over time.

because you have extra pressure in the cylinder when the valve is opening the pressure is trying to close it back. that is why you need a stiffer spring. just makes it easier to hold open the valve. i have the same problem with bbr regrinds. i just never really said anything, but i think it is the regrind cams. i broke a valve when it happened and lost 2 pistons.

vinnybarber

forum member
Reaction score
because you have extra pressure in the cylinder when the valve is opening the pressure is trying to close it back. that is why you need a stiffer spring. just makes it easier to hold open the valve. i have the same problem with bbr regrinds. i just never really said anything, but i think it is the regrind cams. i broke a valve when it happened and lost 2 pistons.

you are on the right path. springs are over looked alot.
everyone keeps turning up there power a little at a time.
:idea:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The stock cams are in there, the regrind are long gone....they have been out for at least 6 months and his car is a DD.

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
Changing valve springs seems to be a little beyond my expertise w/o removing the cylinder head, I don't really want to remove the head :damnit:

Besides that, The ticking noise seems to be coming from the end of the oil pan/ trans area, not from the head. What could that be from?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We were talking about that; would there be any other indicators? He just did an oil change 2-3 weeks ago and no sign of metals....would there be a drop in performance? Would a compression test verify that?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Manual oil pressure gauge might show a drop in oil pressure. I would think a spun rod bearing would knock, not tick.

Bobby

turbo gt about to go fast
Reaction score
just out side of charlotte north carolina
i have heard both do you hear it all the time. i hear a tick when i go to take off but it is my twin disk clutch. not sure what you can do to make sure. take it to and engine builder and have the listen to it.

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score

Bobby is this on your new motor or a previous combo ?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We were talking about that; would there be any other indicators? He just did an oil change 2-3 weeks ago and no sign of metals....would there be a drop in performance? Would a compression test verify that?

Did you cut apart the oil filter to verify no metal?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea when experiencing any kind of problems or concerns to get a filter cutting tool from summit and cut open the filter to inspect. It's a cheap way of catching something before it turns into something major.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea when experiencing any kind of problems or concerns to get a filter cutting tool from summit and cut open the filter to inspect. It's a cheap way of catching something before it turns into something major.

Good call and makes sense, hopefully Luke see's this and next oil change he does this.

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, ill have to look in to one if those, considering the last time we tried to cut open my oil filter it didn't turn out well

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks; we buttoned it back up after installing a couple of new lash adjusters/followers and after listening to the car running it sounds as if the tick is coming from the oil pan/tranny housing which is a lot more involved with just a cam swap...gulp.

Did you receive my last PM about the stock 3V?

Back