Dilemma! Just looking for input in possible Saleen conversion!

warrior86

ODIN
Reaction score
Alright, I am probably gonna sound like a 15 yr old girl that doesnt know what she wants lol... but if you were in my position, you probably would too! So here it goes.

I have always loved the way the Mustang Saleen S281/Extreme looked in our years 05-09 body style. I do not recall if I ever seen one prior to buying my 2008 GT brand new when I did, but regardless, even if I did at the time, I could not afford one like that. I was already happy I was getting a GT because I had a V6 in the past. It's so funny how you finally get a certain style, but always want more. Ok so for a GT, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I did buy it as an auto considering I really did not have much experience with a stick and I really didnt care... the auto in these cars after mods is fantastic none the less, but if I were to get anything like a Shelby or Saleen, it would have to be stick, and my next Mustang will be stick. Times have changed and I do feel like I am ready and wanting one.

The other day I actually almost bought a 2000... errr 1999 Saleen as a 2nd car, just to play around with and learn stick on, and most likely sell it within 2 yrs before I move out of my house because the price seemed really good; one of those too good to be true deals. Turns out, it wasnt an authentic Saleen, though the guy claimed it to be. Ran my ear up for an hour telling me stories when all I wanted to know what kind of engine and exhaust it had hah. He called ME back 3 times. So after I almost dropped 10K on a Saleen clone and problems, I got back to thinking about my body style, considering this is the main body style I absolutely love for Saleens (The 2011+ are BAD ASS too).
So I was like, ok I already have the car, I can get the body kit, wheels, paint job, etc pretty much for under $7K, minus a supercharger which would run me another $6K but the SC could wait for another time. My car is already paid off by the way. So yea, I can drop "technically" $13K to transform my GT into Saleen S281 SC, but all the other parts.... seats.. etc.. at the end of the day it still wouldn't be a real Saleen but I would be happy... all except for the fact it is still an auto, and doing a trans swap is just out of the question.

At this point you are probably thinking.. "Dude.. just sell the GT and buy a freaking Saleen already, cough up the $10K loss that I would probably incurr from selling the car and buy a Saleen". I have actually not thought of that until right LOL... but the difference between selling my GT and buying someone else's Saleen, would be their's is still used, wouldnt know if it had this problem or that problem.. still risky, as though as mine.. I know mine. I have owned it since the beginning and know how good every part of it is. I've customized this thing from the beginning and love it. Low Mileage, etc. Also, another thing would be if I did transform the car with a body kit, I dont have room to store all the extra parts until they sell.

What I am actually leaning towards probably is just being happy with what I have. It is a fantastic looking car and does get good power. People are still selling 2005 Saleens... and we are in 2011 and you can still find low mileage ones... so 3 yrs from now, the 2008 Saleen's will be like the 2005's so maybe I am not missing out on much. If I do decide to switch any body panel, probably be easier just changing the front end to look like a GT500, then wheels, supercharger, .. all that stuff wont really matter because I am not trying to make it a GT500. If I go for Saleen look, I want EVERYTHING Saleen. That is just me.

Then again.... in the end... a Saleen is just a built up GT, but instead of being built by Saleen, it will be built by me! But if it ever gets sold, no one would care for a warrior86 Saleen... lol!

OK... I'm Done..

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't read all of your post, but a complete Saleen body kit is $1600 with free shipping, then you need paint, which shouldn't be more than $1000 if you don't have stripes or anything. As for wheels, why get new Saleen wheels? Might as well go with something different.

warrior86

ODIN
Reaction score
read my post then! I honestly like the Saleen wheels, and probably would get them, problem is if I got the Saleen kit, it would have to be 20s... and I dont want 20s without a SC. $1600 KIT? does that include the custom exhaust and all?

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Stay away from the knock offs....lots of differences....

If your serious I will provide you with the Golden Link. :naughty1:

warrior86

ODIN
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sale...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0bcaebad

Dont know what you were looking at for 1600 but this is the complete kit for 750 shipped.

The seller even has a rating of 0 too... yea.. when it comes to something like this, I will be very careful and "getting what you pay for" lingo will always be at the back of my head, so I want to do it right if that is the case.

Stay away from the knock offs....lots of differences....

If your serious I will provide you with the Golden Link. :naughty1:

Whatcha talking about Willis? PM me.

MOC826

I have a shitty program!
Reaction score
i might be interested also. pm me details

Shades

Reaction score
just out of curiosity, has anyone seen or have pics of a Saleen body kit with a Roush Spoiler?

Plus, I'd like Golden Link too please :beer:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, has anyone seen or have pics of a Saleen body kit with a Roush Spoiler?

Plus, I'd like Golden Link too please :beer:

I don't see how that would work, the rear bumper sticks out quite a bit and the saleen spoiler makes it look normal because it sticks out with it.

Barricade

Reaction score
I can only give out the link to the true of heart. Sorry fellas....

lol

anyways....Abdulla is correct. Roush spoiler wont work....but I do love that spoiler!
I put it on my Wife's GT!

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
I can only give out the link to the true of heart. Sorry fellas....

lol

anyways....Abdulla is correct. Roush spoiler wont work....but I do love that spoiler!
I put it on my Wife's GT!

Guess ill try in a month or so.

Anyone have a pic with a Gt500 front end with a saleen rear end w/ the Saleen shaved on the bumper of course.

Barricade

Reaction score
yeah but get this- the Roush spoiler will work with the Saleen Heritage rear end....Im SLOWLY doing that to my wifes GT.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back