DIY chin spoiler?

peetiewonder

Terminator
Reaction score
So right now I'm flirting with the idea of cutting up a spare bumper that I have in the garage and making a chin spoiler out of it.

Basically my idea is to cut the bottom "lip" of the bumper and the flip it upside down and attatch it to my current bumper...

any thoughts or comments?

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
hmm...Doesn't sound like a great idea lol

Oh, I wouldn't say that if he just had one laying around and a lazy Sunday afternoon in his back pocket...

OP,
Seems like you could use the factory holes to attach it and maybe clip the back somehow. If you paint it black, you could use some smallish trim to clean up any hack marks. Maybe you could photoshop some pics of your idea.

I'm intrigued, as I too have a factory OEM bumper laying around.

Gerardo

peetiewonder

Terminator
Reaction score
Oh, I wouldn't say that if he just had one laying around and a lazy Sunday afternoon in his back pocket...

OP,
Seems like you could use the factory holes to attach it and maybe clip the back somehow. If you paint it black, you could use some smallish trim to clean up any hack marks. Maybe you could photoshop some pics of your idea.

I'm intrigued, as I too have a factory OEM bumper laying around.

Gerardo

i plan to see if in can throw a rendering together. I think if done right it would actually not look bad. my big decision is whether to try to sell teh spare bumper for 100 bux and just buy a cdc or if i should hack it up lol

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
If I could get 100 bucks for mine I would not even think about it...

It would be gone.

Gerardo

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
So right now I'm flirting with the idea of cutting up a spare bumper that I have in the garage and making a chin spoiler out of it.

Basically my idea is to cut the bottom "lip" of the bumper and the flip it upside down and attatch it to my current bumper...

any thoughts or comments?

is it tungsten Grey??

peetiewonder

Terminator
Reaction score
yeah its tungsten gray, it has a scratch in it from where someone hit me and it was cheaper for me to just buy a new bumper than to repair the one that was on the car.

Styre

It Happens
Reaction score
I seen a honda do that with a bumper. Looked good. I think it was a crx, can't remember.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I seen a honda do that with a bumper. Looked good. I think it was a crx, can't remember.

That right there is reason enough to not do it.

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
^^^

:lol:

I personally wouldn't waste my time or ruin a good bumper. But if you do try something, post it up. I want to see this.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
^^^

:lol:

I personally wouldn't waste my time or ruin a good bumper. But if you do try something, post it up. I want to see this.

Back from the dead!!!

I'm currently unemployed so after interviews and a lot of online applying, I seem to have a lot of spare time on my hands. lol!

I also have a spare bumper no one on here would buy off me, I'm sure. Sooooo, I'm going to try this mod! I have the trim to clean up the cut marks and I believe I can swing 5 bucks worth of fasteners.

Any idea what I might use for cutting said OEM bumper???

Gerardo

peetiewonder

Terminator
Reaction score
i would use the fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels or a router bit. a reciprocating saw would also be a good idea.

Molehill_MikeUK

USA Built, UK Driven!
Reaction score
A similar idea has been done on a UK forum, where it was cut from the original bumper, flipped and re-fitted..

Ok, here it is.
Take your front bumper:
Flip4.jpg

Apply a saw, Some pieces of ABS plastic, Hours of plastic welding:
Flip3.jpg

Turn it over:
Flip2.jpg

And re-attach:
Flip1.jpg

Et Voila!
SplitterFront.jpg

Not a bad effort..not sure what it would look like with the original part still fitted, then the flipped part added on?

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Currently in paint I believe...

Looks freakin' awesome. I wish I had seen this before I bought my new takeoff OEM bumper. I would have done this and taken it to the painter. The best part of this is that you lose zero ground clearance!

Also, looks like they're going to do a GT500 grill by the way they're reshaping the area of the bumper next to the head lights.

i would use the fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels or a router bit. a reciprocating saw would also be a good idea.

The bumper is pretty flimsy when not mounted to the car. I can see the bumper thashing about with a reciprocating saw. There's really no way to hold it down so, I may go with the cutoff wheel.
Thanks,

Gerardo

Flip4.jpg

Last edited:

Molehill_MikeUK

USA Built, UK Driven!
Reaction score
It is still in paint, but this is a better pic...

DSC01124.jpg

Its a big on going project, between the owner and one of the best Mustang garages in the UK. Been in paint for ages, but hopefully it'll be all done soon!

Just to clarify, this is not my car :(

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back