DIY Work Ramps

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
This is sticks-and-stones simple "tech" but I thought it may help someone out there.

It's a PITA to get a jack under most Mustangs, and basically impossible to get a jack under a lowered one. I've had quite a few lowered cars and these ramps are an indispensable tool for the garage. They're safer than those cheap steel ramps that are too narrow for any performance tires and slide all over the driveway or garage floor. I can do almost all my basic maintenance by just driving up onto these, and of course they make it easy to slide a jack under the car to get it higher when needed.

Go to Home Depot and buy a 12' long 2x12. Have them cut it into two 3' sections, two 2' sections, and two 1' sections. They'll cut it for free. Nail them together and voila. Hope this helps.

IMG072.jpg

IMG074.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I built some ramps identical to those a while back. I even mounted some handles on the big ends to move them around easier.

Those are a must on a lowered car.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I built some ramps identical to those a while back. I even mounted some handles on the big ends to move them around easier.
Good idea. Even though this method only raises the car six inches, they are pretty heavy. I thought about adding a 4' section at the bottom but holy crap it would be REALLY heavy then. lol

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That's why I added the handles. They're fairly heavy. I also have a very smooth garage floor, so I added some duct tape to the bottom to help keep them from sliding.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Another good idea. I think some adhesive-backed sandpaper for a DA may also work.

imagemagic.php

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
I had a set of these for years! They went upto around 10" and worked great, but (like was already stated) were heavy!!!

I ended up giving them away once my gf bought me a set of Race Ramps a few years back.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i used to have a set of railroad ties that i cut. lost them along the way somewhere. i actually wanna try and get another set, but these may work just as well

Doug1227

forum member
Reaction score
Ghetto-fabulous! I think I'd like to make some of these, but taller for oil changes, etc.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If anyone is concerned about weight capacity (why would you be?) my Father uses this exact setup to level his 35 foot motor home.

If you cut 45 degree angle on the end each piece the car will "climb" it easier.

I like the duct tape for smooth floor idea. A more permanent idea might be a few cheap rubber floor mats from Wal-mart cut into strips and screwed (or nailed) to the board.

a 2x12 is really 1.5 x 11.5, so you'll get 4.5" of lift not 6". BUya 2x12x8 foot and cut it in half. Add it to the bottom. Then you would have 6 inches.

I used a single 18" 2x8 to get my jack under my old car and then used a pair of jack stands.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
like this....

Also a small stop at the end so you don't accidentally drive off the end isn't a bad idea either.

Attachments

• hillbilly lift.JPG
    hillbilly lift.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 398

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've wondered if there was a way to make something like this, but reinforced with fiberglass to cut down on some of the weight; for storage purposes mostly. I'm betting the material cost would be the same as a set of long race ramps though. May have to look into that...

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Sloped ramps have a disadvantage in that they will usually drag the lowest part of the chin spoiler before the tires even get to the ramp. These graduated steps keep that from happening.

You guys are welcome to fiberglass/angle cut/add a stop/chamfer/drill lightening holes... but I'm a KISS kind of guy and these work fine for me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back