Do I need the Stock tune?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Finally upgraded from the 'ol SCT 2 to an X4. Going to upload a custom tune to the X4 and then load to the car so I can marry the X4 (same tune that's in the car now).

Is there any need to move the stock tune from the SCT 2 to the PCM and to the X4? The car will never be able to use the stock tune. I may be missing a reason I may need it in the future.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I would unmarry the SCT2. Just to be safe, may not be necessary.

The X4 may not marry to the car if it detects a non-stock tune.
If it does accept the vehicle without issue, the X4 will save the tune that is in the pcm as the original backup before loading the new tune. So if you get an error when trying to flash the car with the X4, you will have to restore to stock with the 2 first.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks...pretty simple to re-load the stock tune, just didn't know if it was necessary. Worth it to avoid any headaches.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sooo, I'll be calling SCT support tomorrow unless someone knows what I'm doing wrong. The Device Updater software is up to date but I can't move a custom tune from the PC to the X4. It allows me to find it through "Browse", I select it and it doesn't show up under "Available Tunes". I hope the .cef files didn't go through a change...mine is from 2011.

View attachment 82413

upload_2022-4-19_17-53-42.png

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There was a file suffix change in the last 5 yrs IIRC

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thought the tune was based on device? Meaning you have to give your tuner the new device serial number so the tune will upload to it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thought the tune was based on device? Meaning you have to give your tuner the new device serial number so the tune will upload to it.
Correct. .cef files are device based and can only be loaded with Device updater.
Unencryptet tunes, .mtf files get loaded from the Advantage software directly to the x4.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh for fucks sake.

The instructions don't get into all that. They state you can upload .cef files into the new device. Waiting for a call back from SCT support.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sooo, I'll be calling SCT support tomorrow unless someone knows what I'm doing wrong. The Device Updater software is up to date but I can't move a custom tune from the PC to the X4. It allows me to find it through "Browse", I select it and it doesn't show up under "Available Tunes". I hope the .cef files didn't go through a change...mine is from 2011.

View attachment 82413

View attachment 82412

Is this a tune that was sent for the old device? It is locked to that device serial number. You need a new copy with the x4 serial number from your tuner.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Oh for fucks sake.

The instructions don't get into all that. They state you can upload .cef files into the new device. Waiting for a call back from SCT support.
The instructions assume everything is new. Tune and x4 device.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sooo, tune from JDM in 2011...not seeing them producing a new copy of it. Guess I can email them and ask. I'll still talk to SCT support, but what you guys are saying makes sense.

**Edit: Yep, SCT confirmed what you guys are saying. Going to email JDM. If they won't update it, I'll just put it in a drawer until I'm ready to get a new tune.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sooo, tune from JDM in 2011...not seeing them producing a new copy of it. Guess I can email them and ask. I'll still talk to SCT support, but what you guys are saying makes sense.

They should have kept a copy, no?
It would be as easy as open file, email to customer, enter x4 serial, send. NO tuning needed if you want that same file.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So this is a no-go. JDM said the file is too old and they'd have to write a brand new tune....not paying for the same tune twice. I'll just wait until I need a new tune and use the new device then.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
So this is a no-go. JDM said the file is too old and they'd have to write a brand new tune....not paying for the same tune twice. I'll just wait until I need a new tune and use the new device then.
So they don't keep a copy for too long. Copy that.

07 Boss

Reaction score
When I switched from diablo to sct I used my custom diablo tune that was in the car as my sct stock tune.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
When I switched from diablo to sct I used my custom diablo tune that was in the car as my sct stock tune.
Yup, SCT X4 does not care what tune is in the car. As long as overridde stragegy protection (forget tihe exact term) is checked when exporting tune from Advantage. ;)

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Interesting...so if the 2011 tune uploads to the X4 as the stock tune, then problem solved. Minus not having the stock tune anymore...but as the thread was started, I shouldn't need the stock tune again...car will never require it.

But...is the X4 process to upload the stock tune (in my case the 2011 tune) to the device when downloading a tune from the device to the PCM? So if I don't have a tune to load to the car, will it upload the 2011 tune?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes I did. I'm making this too complicated...I don't even need it until I get a new tune. Just figured I'd put the 2011 tune in it, but not possible, so no big deal.

Now I'm tempted to get Lito to write me an E85 tune, but I know I'm going to switch s/c in the next year, so it'd be kind of a waste.

Back