do i need to check piston to valve?

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
ok so well start off here. im an aircraft mechanic, i rebuild bug smasher engines all day. that being said as many times as ive had my engine apart this is new territory for me.

im going to be assembling an eagle stroker setup with -1.2cc pistons and ford racing hi flow heads(oversized valves) with comp 127600 cams do i need to check PTV? these pistons are as flat as can be but they are notched.

if i do need to check ptv how do i go about it with this engine?

thanks in advance.

for any one thats wondering ill have a comp ratio of 11.7

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Kinda confused on how they can be as flat as they can and have notches in it. lol

Put it together and turn it over by hand with some clay in the top of the piston.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If they are a 3V piston you should be OK but I would still check the clearance. You should also make sure your cam followers are up to snuff with those high lift cams. It's a big expense but If I were going to run those cams, I think I would spend the money for the Jesel cam followers, just to be on the save side. There have been several cases where the stock followers failed, with very high lift cams.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
Kinda confused on how they can be as flat as they can and have notches in it. lol

Put it together and turn it over by hand with some clay in the top of the piston.

i'll prolly do this.

id love to put a dial gauge on the valve tip and push it in to see what i got but not sure id get a accurate reading. been told the pistons and valves come closest at 10 degrees before and after TDC.

funny you mention locked followers....thats what killed my stock engine with mutha thumpr cams. locked up several followers and demolished both cams. the jessels are just out of my price range right now. prolly gonna end up just pulling the followers and checking them every time i change oil....least till i get sick of that and spend the dough on the jessels

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back