Do you think this is tire failure or WTF???

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Got a flat second day out with the car. Looked at the tire afterwards and it really looks like there was some sort of flaw. The tires are about 3 years old but have little miles and about 65%+ tread remaining. I am trying to find out if this is something that I can approach BFG with. Any ideas on how to clean up the road rash on my rim would be helpful as well.
IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

Last edited:

Four.O

forum member
Reaction score
That looks pretty bad. Did you bang them up on a curb recently? It's definitely something that isn't gonna just happen out of no where.. so I'm not sure what type of approach you're going for with BFG.

About the road rash - best way is to go to a shop that specializes in fixing wheels. If you're looking for a DIY sort of job, I'm not sure where you can go for that

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Low air pressure, or hit pot hole. did you get road hazard coverage?

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Run flat. Deteriorates the side wall. I get to see it all day every day.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I would inspect the tire completely for some form of penetration. Could have possibly been punctured, Tire pressure dropped low enough to run on the sidewall and it does not take much at that point!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could be the fact that the tires are too big for the rims

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Yes i felt some vibration and pulled over right away. I can see the darker area where the rim was running on the tire but didn't think the blown out areas were caused by running flat. Especially for only a few seconds.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Low aspect tires can have low pressure with out it showing. The side wall will over heat and ply separate, then blow out. I bet the inside of the tire is full of rubber dust

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Does not take much for them to pop once they get low! Especially with outside Temps starting to rise, Tire temps rise as well.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I worked at DTC for a long time, and Newman still does. Thats definitely run flat causing that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back