Does anyone sell short blocks anymore?

moooosestang

Reaction score
Seems the days of being able to buy a built 3v short block are long gone. Is any reputable places still stocking these? I feel like i can do all the assembly except the bottom end, so i'd much rather buy a short block that's been assembled by a professional.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I checked L&M seems the only thing on the website is a all out short block

I did reach out to Mike to see what they are doing in 3Vs at the moment

*** update - L&M responded to me 3V all obsolete, so nothing stocked, they will build a motor by order, I'll guess you'd have to supply the block

page not found

Last edited:

moooosestang

Reaction score
I checked L&M seems the only thing on the website is a all out short block

I did reach out to Mike to see what they are doing in 3Vs at the moment

*** update - L&M responded to me 3V all obsolete, so nothing stocked, they will build a motor by order, I'll guess you'd have to supply the block

page not found
That's what i figured. i might as well buy a used long block off ebay and ship it to a shop and have them do the whole motor. At least my car won't be down for weeks on end that way.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Well considering that a stock 5.0 is 100hp more than a 4.6 3v right off the bat, the 5.0 is a much more desirable choice for a build. And the 4.6 is 12-18 years old now so not much call for an old, slow motor with several issues resolved in the replacement motor.

I had a ton of work in my 2009 Bullitt. 643hp at the rear wheels. I had a built stroked short block and stage 3 heads from Livernois along with 15 lbs of boost and thousands and thousands of dollars in supporting upgrades. Today you can buy a new stock 5.0 and have 700-750hp with a $10k blower kit from VMP.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I thought Brenspeed made the infamous B302, aluminum block eng, which was a 281 CI eng, stroked to 302 CI. I think Skwerl got the last one ? It was a complete eng I believe.
That was replaced with an Iron block B326 eng, which was a 302 CI eng, stroked to 326 CI. Dunno if it's still offered or not.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I thought Brenspeed made the infamous B302, aluminum block eng, which was a 281 CI eng, stroked to 302 CI. I think Skwerl got the last one ? It was a complete eng I believe.
That was replaced with an Iron block B326 eng, which was a 302 CI eng, stroked to 326 CI. Dunno if it's still offered or not.

Brenspeed does still offer a 5.3L short block as well as a B326 3V long block. The 326 has a big bore (3.700") iron block compared to the stock bore aluminum block B302 (no longer available).

JDM also offers a 300ci short block but it's built to order and requires a good block as a core:

When you look at the cost of a 3V short or long block, you begin to realise that a Gen 3 Coyote crate engine is an attractive proposition at just over nine grand:

Plus you can get a Gen 3 long block for less than six grand:

My advice?

1. If your 3V block is a good core, build it up with an all forged stroker assembly or:

2. Consider a Coyote swap.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Your in Florida, I’d contact Modular Head shop and see if he knows any local reputable shops that could assemble one for you

Back