Door Chime with Key OUT of the ignition

HASE

Reaction score
Yesterday my 06 GT started chiming when I opened the drivers door (Key OUT of the ignition) I worked the key in and out of the ignition a couple of times and it stopped. Now I have no such luck. Any time the Drivers door is open, it chimes without the key being inserted.
Can't use power locks with the door open because it thinks the key is still present - it unlocks the door.

I have searched and found info on sn95's having this issue but not s197's.
Any thoughts? I took the column apart and everything seems to be connected correctly.

Thanks in advance!

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Happens intermittently on my car and like you I hear the chime when the key is pulled out. So I insert the key switch it on, off, and pull out the key and the chime stops.

IMHO, your ignition switch assembly has just reached it's maximum "the chime goes off" wear point.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
The clip that sets it off is getting stuck. Try a little graphite on the key and work it in and out and cycle the ignition a few times

Carbuff91

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same issue...didn't even pick it up when I went to look at the car before I bought it. I'm going to try the graphite bid and see what happens. I do have a start button wired to where the cig. lighter goes option that the guy added. I wonder if he wired something wrong and that's why it goes off?

mustangerbob

mustangerbob
Reaction score
Mine has done this for a long time. Long before I installed the start button.
Going to try the graphite trick though.

Attachments

• Jan 30, 2013 009.jpg
    Jan 30, 2013 009.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 7

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I usually disable the door chimes on my cars so it never goes off. I hate the door chime. If I lock my keys in my car I deserve the hassle of correcting it.

Carbuff91

forum member
Reaction score
Tried some electrical spray lubricant in the switch and it still does it.
TJM73...how did you disable yours?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Methods vary. On one car I found a plug to unplug and that silenced it. No matter what you have to troubleshoot the chime, but when I had my '05 I planned to jump the door ajar switch t make the car think the door was always closed. Probably won't work in you situation. I'd look to jump the switch in the column.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Methods vary. On one car I found a plug to unplug and that silenced it. No matter what you have to troubleshoot the chime, but when I had my '05 I planned to jump the door ajar switch t make the car think the door was always closed. Probably won't work in you situation. I'd look to jump the switch in the column.

the only thing with that is the interior lights will never come on when opening the door. not a huge problem, but some may prefer it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back