Drive it to the track, run 10's, drive it home build

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I haven't touched my car in two years. I thought of selling, but every time I drive it, I remember how much fun it is and change my mind. I'm soliciting ideas...nothing is off the table....with the exception of trying to keep costs down as much as possible, wherever possible.

Along with keeping costs down, it's also important not to be breaking a lot of parts. That said, a switch to an auto trans is most likely the only certainty, if and when this build gets off the ground.

I'm thinking forge the motor, go turbo, or perhaps a supercharger, switch to the auto, and go from there. It's even conceivable that slipping in a big block 460 based motor might be an avenue to pursue.

Another thing to consider is consistency, in the event I decide to do a little bracket racing on occasion. It may be an error on my part, but I've always thought of turbo/supercharged cars as being fairly inconsistent, and not really a viable option for bracket racing...just my opinion.

Having said all that....perhaps some of you can outline a template of what you might do.

perhaps the budget might be around $15k.....I can spend more if I want to, but that's really kind of the target, or less even.

One other consideration is I still want to drive it on the street on occasion, so being fairly mild mannered would be a plus. I prefer to maintain the creature comforts, as much as possible.

Ideas?

here's a pic, just for the fun of it

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan my friend.
I hope to be doing this same thing to mine, except I will keep my manual for more of a fast and fun street
car, instead of a race car. Good luck with it all. Can't wait to see what you do.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it's just theory right now, but ideas are solicited.

after watching you tube videos it seems a switch to a '11 or later stang would make it a lot easier, so we'll see.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good used stuff popping up all the time for everything you are looking for. Be frugal, careful and you will hit your goal.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good used stuff popping up all the time for everything you are looking for. Be frugal, careful and you will hit your goal.

looking for a plan to pursue, to start with. parts plus ball park prices is also a plus.

i should have mentioned, and this will effect the budget considerably, is i don't really have the place to do this. i might do some of the work, but it's likely i'll use one of the local shops for the majority of the work. and, i get pretty banged up laying on the drive way all day, at 57 years of age.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
it's just theory right now, but ideas are solicited.

after watching you tube videos it seems a switch to a '11 or later stang would make it a lot easier, so we'll see.

If I'm cluttering up your thread, let me know hahaha.
I just have been asking myself the same thing. 2011 GT's are going for about $18k in my area, and that's 400 hp to start with. Decisions decisions..Sorry:)

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Can you put a big block in your car and still have it be street legal in Texas? If not there goes the driving to the track and back part.

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
Sell it and buy a gt500 or a car with all the work done already.
Money + car sale = faster car jmo.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I don't think your goal is realistic. I took my Bullitt and turned it into a 10 second street car and I did virtually all of the work myself, and $15K isn't going to get you there reliably IMO. You can build up the stock engine, run less boost and do all the supporting mods in order to have a mid 11 second car (500hp) but I had $12K just in my engine and heads. If you spend $5K on the engine, $5K on the blower and $5K on the transmission then you have nothing left for suspension, brakes, wheels, tires and all the other stuff that goes along with the package. You'll have a half ass build with crappy suspension and stock brakes.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
I happen to have a full S-trim aftercooled Vortech kit for sale. That would be a great first step. :) A blower plus a built bottom end plus a good trans would be a nice setup. Consistent too.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think your goal is realistic. I took my Bullitt and turned it into a 10 second street car and I did virtually all of the work myself, and $15K isn't going to get you there reliably IMO. You can build up the stock engine, run less boost and do all the supporting mods in order to have a mid 11 second car (500hp) but I had $12K just in my engine and heads. If you spend $5K on the engine, $5K on the blower and $5K on the transmission then you have nothing left for suspension, brakes, wheels, tires and all the other stuff that goes along with the package. You'll have a half ass build with crappy suspension and stock brakes.

i hear you.

one reason for the automatic would be so that the rear end wouldn't have to be bullet proof.

i'm not really sure about your reasoning regarding brakes and suspension, however. it seems perhaps a gear swap would be on the table, but i'm not sure about the necessity of upgrading brakes, wheels, tires and so on.

if i went big block, another k member would be on the table, but the other stuff, considering the parts that are already on the car, wouldn't really be necessary, imo.

I happen to have a full S-trim aftercooled Vortech kit for sale. That would be a great first step. :) A blower plus a built bottom end plus a good trans would be a nice setup. Consistent too.

i looked at your thread for the vortech....11.97? that's not a lot of improvement over what i have n/a. seems pretty far away from where i want to be.

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
i hear you.

one reason for the automatic would be so that the rear end wouldn't have to be bullet proof.

i looked at your thread for the vortech....11.97? that's not a lot of improvement over what i have n/a. seems pretty far away from where i want to be.

I run 10's on a v3 s-trim, but for round the same money a paxton 2200 would of been my choice if I new how far down the road I was takin this trip.

If your going to run down the track, do some bracket racing and drive home, just make sure you get an oil fed Paxton or Vortech, don't bother with the self lubricating units, 4oz of oil is not going to be a bullet proof setup.

Built lower end and heads gots to be 6K, Freddy Brown 4R setup if going auto, 8K, Blower setup 5K just the basics and your at 17k parts.

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run 10's on a v3 s-trim, but for round the same money a paxton 2200 would of been my choice if I new how far down the road I was takin this trip.

If your going to run down the track, do some bracket racing and drive home, just make sure you get an oil fed Paxton or Vortech, don't bother with the self lubricating units, 4oz of oil is not going to be a bullet proof setup.

thanks for the info. i should have specified that i would go probably with a 4r70w transmission if i stay with a mod motor. i may pm you regarding specifics about other stuff.

oops you edited your post while i waw quoting you....8k for a transmission....wow..

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
That's the whole package not just the trans, go to his site and you can see all the change over parts that your going to need, that would be included. Check out his site for current pricing, I think he may even have instructions on PDF.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I would either recommend an aluminator and a ProCharger, or just sell the car and buy mine. Instant 10-second street car. ;)

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I don't know about centri consistency but with my e-force blower my car is deadly consistent (of course if the weather remains consistent). Something that I learned is I ended up doing my own modification to my tune with Lito's guidance and I set my timing to be static once I'm WOT. That made a huge difference in consistency and I have had 3 runs back to back all within .001.

Generally it has been no more than .01 as far as inconsistency but hopefully with the powerglide I'm about to put in it will be even deadlier.

Now as for a turbo, I'm not a fan for bracket racing with them. Talk to Paul (againstallodds1) on here to discuss that. It works well for his index racing but for bracket racing it just seems like a bad combo.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did this in 2008/2009

Drove 90 miles to Famoso or CA Speedway (on a regular basis), turned 10.60s, then drove it home. Whipple @ 16psi, converter, built bottom end but STOCK HEADS AND CAMS keeps the cost down. Then I went to 18psi and dropped to normally 10.30s but best et was a 10.13.

However you will need to reduce the weight some, you won't be able to do this at full weight and still stay within your budget (I think).

[SFIRE]street-driven-whipple-mustang-10544-12612-mph_209626[/SFIRE]

[SFIRE]705rwhp-srt8-challenger-604-and-748rwhp-mustangs_689078[/SFIRE]

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
If you run 12.20 @ 114 now a lil spray should get you in the 10's at 124+ mph .

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back