Dry bearing noise

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Having a problem from what I think is my transmission, I hear a "dry bearing" type noise when cruising. Noise gets louder every time I shift, also started hearing a "clicking" noise in 2nd gear.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Edited - assuming the gear whine is coming from up front in the trans tunnel and not out back where the axle is ------

I just rebuilt my TR3650 and didn't do the job as well as I could have. Before disassembly the end play on the input shaft, output shaft, and counter shaft seemed perfect, no wiggle or play at all. The bearings and bearing cups looked great with absolutely no signs of wear so I reused them and the shims. (I'm on a budget)

Getting the trans back together and the final step of sliding the case over the output shaft/counter shaft is a bitch. So much so I didn't wanna do it twice. Well I had slight wiggle/end play on the counter shaft after I got it on. Now I got gear whine or bearing noise. I should have taken back apart and put more shims until end play was good. Basically the same scenario as setting up a ring/pinion and backlash.

I know my problem is the counter shaft and you can do this test. At rest in neutral with the clutch engaged NOTHING in the transmission would be spinning, no noise at all.

Let clutch out while still in neutral and the input shaft and counter shaft will start spinning same RPM as the motor. Also the gears on the output shaft will start spinning on their needle bearings; but none are locked/engaged because you are in neutral. If the gear whine starts as soon as you let the clutch out, it's likely the bearing on the counter shaft or input shaft. Put it in 1st gear and drive away. If the gear whine starts as soon as you start rolling its probably something output shaft related because its directly connected to driveshaft. If it only happens while you're in a specific gear (like second) it might be the needle bearings on that gear or the teeth on the gear are slipping on the synchro hub.

Only way to really tell is take the trans apart and inspect for damage. There are threads on here (search for TR3650 rebuild) and some you tube videos as well.

Last edited:

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry it took so long to reply ill give all your suggestions a try tonight.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Are you sure it's no just getting louder with each shift because of driveshaft speed? Sounds like the carrier bearing or something in the driveline.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
If you're having a hard time isolating the sound of the noise, take your shifter cover off and pull the shifter rubber boot off the trans tunnel and then take a drive. Hopefully your exhaust, road noise, and spinning drive shaft noise won't drown out any gear whine noises, but that might help. You can always pop the shifter boots right back in.

My gear whine from my transmission is easy to tell where it's coming from, right by my knee or under the radio. It isn't very loud but I know where it is and what the problem is. You can't ever hear it when standing outside the car with it running because the exhaust and engine noise drown it out. If I don't fix it soon I expect it to get louder and louder until failure. Just like a ring and pinion would if not set up properly.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
So I finally had time to bring car into shop and connect to the scanner to the car for any codes. After I found nothing I decided to let car idle and try to track noise down with a stethoscope, I could hear the noise thru the exhaust manifold on driver side and louder on passenger side. I then checked to see where the oil level was.... needless to say the car was 4 quarts LOW!
Drove around for a little while a filling it back up and noise seems to be gone but will have to drive it some more to verify it is completely gone.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
4 low? >.>
Wow. Hope it didn't wipe out any bearings or anything

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
You took it to a shop and the didn't notice it only had 2 quarts of oil in it?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
No i do the oil changes at work. Plan to replace oil pan gasket next week.

You said you took it to a shop to have it scanned, that usually entails starting the engine, seems like a tech should have noticed it had no oil or recognized the sounds it was making.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
You said you took it to a shop to have it scanned, that usually entails starting the engine, seems like a tech should have noticed it had no oil or recognized the sounds it was making.

I brought it into the shop to see if it was throwing any pending codes then checked oil and saw it was way to low

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I brought it into the shop to see if it was throwing any pending codes then checked oil and saw it was way to low

Into a shop you work at? I miss under stood you, I thought you paid to have it scanned at a shop.

Should be a massive oil spot at your house or work parking space if you leaked it all out. Be sure it's not coming from up top ad running down, giving the appearance of a pan leak. Could also be the rear main seal.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back