DSS driveshaft took a dump on me ??

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Dropped off the driveshaft this morning, it wasn't too re-assuring when the guy there said he's never seen one built like that before, steel going into aluminum and only held in place with a snap ring? WTF?

So apparently they have NOT repaired a bunch of these in the past, maybe just re-balanced them.
Dropped it off at 8AM, haven't heard from them yet.

If they can't do anything about it, I'll have to bring it elsewhere.

I really don't want to send it to DSS

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
wow and I was considering a DSS, no thanks! hope they step up and take care of it

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
they are still scratching there dammed heads . :challenge:

Haha, yeah probably.

wow and I was considering a DSS, no thanks! hope they step up and take care of it

They're off until January 1st, not re-opening till the 4th, so I don't even know if I'll get to talk to them before I have it fixed locally.

I've honestly lost faith in their workmanship, don't want them touching it.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the shop you took it to passes, find the best 4x4 shop in your area, they will know someone who can repair it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Dropped off the driveshaft this morning, it wasn't too re-assuring when the guy there said he's never seen one built like that before, steel going into aluminum and only held in place with a snap ring? WTF?

So apparently they have NOT repaired a bunch of these in the past, maybe just re-balanced them.
Dropped it off at 8AM, haven't heard from them yet.

If they can't do anything about it, I'll have to bring it elsewhere.

I really don't want to send it to DSS

He didn't really believe that a snap ring was part of the load bearing structure did he?

From here it looks like a stock or aftermarket version of the Ford coupler. What did those bolts get torqued to? IIRC Ford specs 41 ft. lbs with one time use bolts.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
If the shop you took it to passes, find the best 4x4 shop in your area, they will know someone who can repair it.

Great idea, thanks!

He didn't really believe that a snap ring was part of the load bearing structure did he?

From here it looks like a stock or aftermarket version of the Ford coupler. What did those bolts get torqued to? IIRC Ford specs 41 ft. lbs with one time use bolts.

I don't think he believed that, but still not much holding that piece in there.

DSS specs 57 ft-lbs I believe for the rear bolts

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Called a different shop this morning, when I told them what kind of shaft I need repair on, the guy right away recommended the place I already have it at.
Called that shop back, they're still calling around looking to see where they can source parts for it from.
DSS is conveniently closed till Jan 4th, so even buying a new part from them isn't an option right now cuz they're not there to ask.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Called the shop back, talked with the dude a bit about the CV joint, it's a GKN brand, has a bunch of numbers on it:

GKN 15 GERMANY 68U 11 LBO 0637415000000

All his regular suppliers are looking at him like he has 3 heads when he mentions these numbers.

According to DSS the CV joint is 108mm across and 28-spline, which would be a 930-style joint on RCV's site, but other dimensions/factors may make it not fit, so I'll give these guys a few more days, looking forward to talking with DSS on Jan 4th when they re-open.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
Good luck, hope ya get it lined out. I too have a DSS and there is no vibration but it's had a sound similar to a bad u-joint since it was installed new, it makes the sound when shifting while stopped and sometimes during very light acceleration. I called DSS and they said that was normal lol.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got under it and finally removed the DSS driveshaft adapter that was stuck on the factory pinion flange.
Had to use a small puller to get the dam thing off, but it's finally off, and tomorrow I can finally put the factory driveshaft back in.
Maybe I'll even drive it again sometime soon.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
Got under it and finally removed the DSS driveshaft adapter that was stuck on the factory pinion flange.
Had to use a small puller to get the dam thing off, but it's finally off, and tomorrow I can finally put the factory driveshaft back in.
Maybe I'll even drive it again sometime soon.
:clap::clap::clap: thats great and enjoy your drive .
i was gonna get a 1 piece shaft but after i joined s197 and
see all the issues i will stay with my factory shaft till it snaps into 4 pieces .

travelers

Reaction score
When and if you but it back in I would put some anti-seize on the yoke so it doesn't corrode.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Didn't see a way to get to the yoke without cutting open the rubber boot, so I left it alone.

Got my factory driveshaft re-installed and took it for a drive.

Felt good to be behind the wheel again, to no longer be looking at it on jackstands in the garage.

Got into boost a couple of times too :biggrin:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I originally bought a shaftmasters DS, but sold it to a local friend with a manual 08. The shaftmasters didn't have a CV joint at the back end, and was a horror story to get the pinion angle set correct. The pinion angle has to be tweaked such that it won't vibrate at your max intended speed. The worst combo (for whatever reason) was a shaftmasters shaft on a 2010 car.....with an automatic. The shaftmasters DS works fine in my buddy's 08 manual. So in went the DSS-DS, with it's rear CV joint..on my 2010 auto. Other than the correct depth alignment, the pinion angle on a DSS-DS is a moot point. Mine was vibration free at 160 mph on the dyno..and 140 mph on the hwy.
But they have to be installed correctly, torqued to spec, and blue loctite used.

As noted b4, the CV joint on the DSS can be replaced....for aprx $100.00

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
I originally bought a shaftmasters DS, but sold it to a local friend with a manual 08. The shaftmasters didn't have a CV joint at the back end, and was a horror story to get the pinion angle set correct. The pinion angle has to be tweaked such that it won't vibrate at your max intended speed. The worst combo (for whatever reason) was a shaftmasters shaft on a 2010 car.....with an automatic. The shaftmasters DS works fine in my buddy's 08 manual. So in went the DSS-DS, with it's rear CV joint..on my 2010 auto. Other than the correct depth alignment, the pinion angle on a DSS-DS is a moot point. Mine was vibration free at 160 mph on the dyno..and 140 mph on the hwy.
But they have to be installed correctly, torqued to spec, and blue loctite used.

As noted b4, the CV joint on the DSS can be replaced....for aprx $100.00

My '11 stick has no problem with vibes. A little vibe from sitting on the Mickey Thomson tires but that's all.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Just got a call back from the place that has the shaft right now, they finally got in touch with somebody at DSS, apparently at first DSS didn't want to even sell them the replacement CV joint, buy eventually they gave in and gave them a price of $320+shipping

I know I am NOT gonna spend that kind of money to fix the damn thing, especially when a CV joint that should work is available from RCV Performance for $120-210 depending on model.
And after speaking with a rep at RCV, it turns out they sell to DSS "all the time", and I'm sure at a discount since DSS would buy in volume.
So even if DSS uses the $210 RCV joint, for them to try to get over $300 for it is just insane.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Have you considered calling DSS yourself? What you're saying makes no sense unless Pentalab's posted info is incorrect. $320+ shipping is a long way from $100.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back