Emissions: Fail Due to all the OBD readiniess monitors not being supported

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
So, My car has been passing emissions with no problems up till now. Local emissions are OBD readings only, no tailpipe or visual: The only changes I have made since the last time it passed are:

A) Replaced the Alternator and the battery about a month ago
B) Eliminated the pipe that recycled the blowoff from the turbo so it now vents to Atmo
C) Installed breathers due to excessive blow by
D) Things I did but cant imagine them effecting emissions, changed out the headlights, added bigger tires, went from 4:10's to 3:27's

Before the test I drove around in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes. Is it possible that the system didn't warm up enough? I dont have any check engine lights, have not thrown any codes recently.

The specific reason listed for failing was FAIL- Due to the all OBD readiness monitors not being supported

One odd thing I noticed that I have not resolved, and I dont know if it has any bearing on the issue, in my old tune I was able to change the tire size or rear gearing by reloading the tune and adjusting the parameters. This one I cant, is the new tune simply so locked down the OBD scanner at the emission center cant read what it needs too?

Yes I have searched, googled, called and been confused as hell by multiple conflicting answers. Any input, suggestions appreciated

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC the option to edit those parameters in the tune are either locked/unlocked by whomever made you the tune. Looks like your recent tuner locked those out.

Hmm... I would imagine that going to breathers affect the way that the EVAP system reads. Maybe that is affecting your emissions test? Just throwing out ideas...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Was the tune changed between now and 2 years ago when the last emissions test was done?

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Probably the emissions test is what changed, what I understand is that they not allow the monitors to be disabled.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
My buddies Stang did the same thing. No codes, just FAIL, OBD Unsupported. After about five hours of checking stuff out, I found one of the wires in the OBDII port had been pushed out of the OBD plug. Pushed it back in and all went fine the next time he had it smogged about a week later.

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
I will have to check with my OBD reader. The emissions center was not able to pull any codes. I didn't realize the drive cycle thing was so convoluted, thought it was just a matter of putting miles on the car. Will add that to the list of crap to try, dig out the PCV system, try putting it back on and have my tuner unlock the tune just to see if that's throwing it.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Before you do anything and waste time and gas, do you have the report of the last time you passed?

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
Lito, I will have to look, I don't think I saved that, not sure why, I'm usually obsessive about saving anything to do with this car.

Bruce the only change to the tune since last emissions test was having the Traction control permanently disabled. Once that change was made I was no longer able to change parameters. Just shot my tuner a quick email to see if he thought it would cause an issue.

I am Going to try putting it through a drive cycle, put the pcv system back in place and check the OBD port for a loose wire. Hopefully its that simple. Appreciate all the input from everyone

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I got to echo this thing about the drive cycle. It takes a specific way of driving to simulate the road condition needed to have the system ready. Disconnecting the battery triggers system not ready until you drive the car a certain way. Most importantly is the cold start and what you have to do afterwards.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Lito, I will have to look, I don't think I saved that, not sure why, I'm usually obsessive about saving anything to do with this car.

Bruce the only change to the tune since last emissions test was having the Traction control permanently disabled. Once that change was made I was no longer able to change parameters. Just shot my tuner a quick email to see if he thought it would cause an issue.

I am Going to try putting it through a drive cycle, put the pcv system back in place and check the OBD port for a loose wire. Hopefully its that simple. Appreciate all the input from everyone

Suggest you wait to hear back from your tuner, if disabled, all the driving of the world wont help it.

I've wondered why sct recommends doing that? I suppose it just makes for less tech calls, lol. I don't do it because I want all the mil codes to work in case there is an issue.

If it is a car that doesnt have to go thru that, no need to keep running monitors in it. Now, doing it by default, I don't know, their choice, there are other things wrong on the value files.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm no emissions expert but my understanding is that "unsupported" is different than "not ready", as in it says unsupported when a OBD function is switched off, and if you simply haven't completed all the OBD readiness checks it just says readiness checks not completed.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I recently went through this same challenge with emissions and mine failed with an OBD communication error. The first thing I did was buy a cheap OBD scanning tool so I could see the state of each monitor (which was very helpful). And I found only 3 out of the 7 monitors even showed up on the scanner. So I contacted my tuner and he had to turn all the emissions stuff back on the tune.

His new tune did allow all the monitors to show up, but after countless drive cycles and probably 300 miles I could never get 4 of the monitors ready (Catalyst, EVAP, O2 sensor & O2 heater). Although my tuner swore everything was on, I was running out of time so I called Brenspeed and paid for an expedited email tune. And go figure... after loading their tune and driving maybe 10 miles all 7 monitors were ready. Easily passed emissions later that day.

Get your self a scanner and start from there...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm no emissions expert but my understanding is that "unsupported" is different than "not ready", as in it says unsupported when a OBD function is switched off, and if you simply haven't completed all the OBD readiness checks it just says readiness checks not completed.

You are correct.

I recently went through this same challenge with emissions and mine failed with an OBD communication error. The first thing I did was buy a cheap OBD scanning tool so I could see the state of each monitor (which was very helpful). And I found only 3 out of the 7 monitors even showed up on the scanner. So I contacted my tuner and he had to turn all the emissions stuff back on the tune.

His new tune did allow all the monitors to show up, but after countless drive cycles and probably 300 miles I could never get 4 of the monitors ready (Catalyst, EVAP, O2 sensor & O2 heater). Although my tuner swore everything was on, I was running out of time so I called Brenspeed and paid for an expedited email tune. And go figure... after loading their tune and driving maybe 10 miles all 7 monitors were ready. Easily passed emissions later that day.

Get your self a scanner and start from there...

IMO not all tuners understand what is required. I know I don't so I just make sure that all the emissions, mil, and obd stuff matches a stock tune. It also provides for cat and valve protection. Very useful if you are running cats with forced induction and don't want them to melt. But I digress.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back