Factory HID's just stopped working, Fuses OK, what else to check?

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Sup fellas,

Spent some time searching but most of the issues seem to be with aftermarket HID kits, my 06 Saleen has the factory HID lights, I believe they are the same as Ford's option but im not 100%, Last night in got in the car and the headlights would not turn on, no high or low beams, everything else is working, interior, brake, turn signals but no headlights. After a ride home without lights I popped the hood, there are two fuses on the passenger side strut tower, they are both good, a lil further down stream there are two little black boxes, I presume they are relays but I did not want to break anything so I dint try to pull them out. The fact that they are both out rules out the bulb possibility, they have been working fine, never any flickering or anything signs of issues to come.

Any suggestions as to where else to check for my issue? Sux not to be able to drive the car at night, the Saleen fog lights are basically parking lights so I cant get away with it.

Thanks in advance.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Reference: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Headlamps. Autolamps.pdf

Since you're not quite sure of the configuration of your HIDs (Personal thought: Ford HIDs came out in 2008, so you're are an even greater unknown), let's just work with the basics.

You've checked the fuses, saw two black boxes you're assuming are relays. How big are these black boxes? Relay sized, or HID ballast sized?

Also, did you check the relay in the under-hood fuse box (See attached schematic link)? Swap it with another like one in the fuse box and try it.

Let us know.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The black boxes are relays. I've got the Saleen HID conversion on my car so I am familiar with the setup.
Since both of them are out, I would check the headlight fuse in the main fuse box as it is unlikely that both relays or fuses would have died at the same time. I would also look at the main headlight switch as well.
If that fails to find the problem, I'd get a voltmeter and test to see if voltage is getting to the ballasts-they should be mounted behind the headlight housings. Start from the 2 fuses mounted by the fuse box and trace your way back to the ballasts.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also, the saleen harness plugs into one of the headlight plugs from the stock ford harness. I cannot remember if it is the passenger or driver's side that plugs into it but if you find the Saleen HID install manual, it should help you trace out possible faults with the harness. I believe there is a copy on the Saleen Owners and enthusiasts website.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
MY problem was the Relays, BOTH of them went out at the same time!

These Relays are not so easy to find apparently. 4 stores later, i found one at Auto Zone, we tracked a duralast down, for air suspension, it had the same 12v / 4-prong config (i hope its 20A but it doesnt say it anywhere).

The Fukers only had ONE in stock! I took the old Bosch relays out and plugged in 1 Duralast, the HID's lit up bright BUT no highbeams, i presume thats what the second relay is for.

I guess ill track the correct ones down on the web now that i can drive at night.

The Duralast Relay:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-8oxl6?itemIdentifier=221841_0_0_

The Bosch Relays (original):
Part# 0 332 011 007 (12v 4 prong 20A??)

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know for future reference. I'm about to retro fit 08 oem hid headlight into my 07, got the full wiring kit with the diodes in place.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Im not 100% but i think the Saleen HID kit may be different, i tried getting the relays for the GT500 and they did NOT match...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back