Fallout/Oil from work - how to remove?

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I'm having a tough time getting some fallout/oil residue from work off my car. I'm fairly certain it's soybean oil venting from our fryers (no I don't work at a fast food joint lol). The exhaust fans pull it out and it looks like it is atomizing it, into tiny droplets, like ballpoint pen sized drops. It's all over the car. I've washed it with Dawn dish soap a couple of times, and that isn't taking it off. Any other ideas? Would a clay bar take it off? I don't really want to have to clay it to remove it, but I can if that is what it takes. I'm looking for other options.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Yeah don't overdo it on the Dawn washes...it strips oil from the paint and plastics and can crack or damage them over time. Try a citrus based car shampoo such as Chemical guys first, then clay, and then mild polishing compound and an orbital buffer before moving to more aggressive options.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I did the two Dawn washes in hot water. I'll try to pick up some of the CG wash - I've been pleased with the other products of theirs that I have tried.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Try decon product like carpro TarX, auto finesse fall out, and sonax makes a good one in a red bottle and I know detailersdomian.com has it.

If these dont work alone then I would clay it.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
No I don't have any pics - the weather here has been ass and will be for the next several days. I'll see if I can get one tonight in the garage. It may be tough since the oil or whatever is clear and doesn't show up good on Satin Silver.

Amazon has a CG kit that has the citrus wash in it with some other stuff, I think I'll pick that up. I also saw they have a bug/tar remover...I might grab some of that as well...

EDIT: no go on the pics, it just won't show up well enough.

Last edited:

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Well the citrus wash didn't do much to help I'm afraid to report. On to the next option.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I picked up a quart of denatured alcohol at Ace over lunch. I'll give that a shot. I also read about WD-40, so I have a couple of options.

The guy at Ace tried to put some Greased Lightning on me, but reading the label it said not to use on painted or cleared surfaces. Glad I bothered to read.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
joe_momma,

The oil is an organic so you need something other than water as a solvent. WD-40 and Tar-X are easy on the paint and should loosen the grease, fat, oil. Alcohol may work but it is drying so be careful about using it.

HTH,

Chris

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Well the DA didn't cut it, neither did the WD-40. I've ordered some polish to try and get it off.

berzerk_1980

Reaction score
In my kitchen, I have to clean these grease droplets with Goo Gone. Then I have to clean the Goo Gone with soap.

Not sure if it's safe for paint, but it might be worth checking into.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
What did you order? I'd go for a light cutting compound as a polish might not necessarily have the muscle for what you need. Plus...if you're already going to be buffing the car you might as well use something a little more aggressive to get rid of some swirls.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Mequires M205 - think that will work?

EDIT: with the hex-logic light/medium "white" pad. I have a new, unused black finish pad for wax.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. It will be this weekend before i can try it. Rain all week looks like.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back