Finally get my own "KABOOM" thread!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Ask Jason at Department of Boost. Not sure if one exists but if it does then Jason will know about it.

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Quick update on 3/20/2014

Visiting Utah at the moment. Will return next week.

Sold old block, crank, and cams on the drive here (thanks Mitch!)
Transmission will be ready to ship out by Tuesday 3/25
Billet oil pump gears ordered, will arrive before I do.
Cam sprockets will be ordered tomorrow, will arrive before I'm finished with the bottom end.
Heads are finished.
Block is finished.
Bearings are in.

etc etc ....

Bottom line, it's looking like assembly will be able to start next week! Stay tuned for photos/problems along the way! Haha

6 weeks until I move to Salt Lake City, and several weeks of work to accomplish before then.

Jason and I have been emailing about the methanol injection plate, but I've been all over the place, and since the car will run without methanol injection, it's been put to the back burner for the time being.

Looks like my job here will allow enough free time that I will be able to continue my hobby, and THAT's what counts! :thumb:

BP

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
I read like 4 pages and didnt see this mentioned other then you replying that you dont go boost on stock internals in overdrive or 5th gear.

Ive always been told you absolutely do not go wot full boost in 5th or overdrive even with a forged engine if you want it to hold together. Its extremely hard on it

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
I read like 4 pages and didnt see this mentioned other then you replying that you dont go boost on stock internals in overdrive or 5th gear.

Ive always been told you absolutely do not go wot full boost in 5th or overdrive even with a forged engine if you want it to hold together. Its extremely hard on it

Makes sense! Sorry I didn't see your reply until now. dunno how I missed that :shrug:

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
So today I'm working on bearings for the rods and mains...

Quick question: Ford calls it "Main Bearing Journal-to-Cylinder Block Clearance" and I'm looking for "distance between crankshaft journal and main bearing"

Are these the same thing? I find that the manual has weird ways of describing specs.

For the 3v 4.6L, this spec is 0.0009-0.0019" and for the 03 Cobra 4.6L lists as .0009-.00216"

Since the Cobra is supercharged, too, I'm inclined to use those specs. I'm also inclined to stick closer to the "tight" side of that.

Can anyone lend any sources showing why I might not want to do that? Or am I on track?

Thanks!

BP

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
All you can really do is measure and record. All of your machining is done, correct? Some people will do half shells of .001" difference bearings to fine tune the clearance by .0005".

I'm inclined to believe that as the machinery gets better so do the tolerances. Since you have a 3v I'd stick with 3v clearances if possible. It could be different crank materials expanding differently when at operating temp, a hotter operating temp, different bearing materials, lots of things.

As long as they are between .001 and .002 you are good imo. Did you have the machine shop target any particular size when they ground the crank or did the line bore?

So today I'm working on bearings for the rods and mains...

Quick question: Ford calls it "Main Bearing Journal-to-Cylinder Block Clearance" and I'm looking for "distance between crankshaft journal and main bearing"

Are these the same thing? I find that the manual has weird ways of describing specs.

For the 3v 4.6L, this spec is 0.0009-0.0019" and for the 03 Cobra 4.6L lists as .0009-.00216"

Since the Cobra is supercharged, too, I'm inclined to use those specs. I'm also inclined to stick closer to the "tight" side of that.

Can anyone lend any sources showing why I might not want to do that? Or am I on track?

Thanks!

BP

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
All you can really do is measure and record. All of your machining is done, correct? Some people will do half shells of .001" difference bearings to fine tune the clearance by .0005".

I'm inclined to believe that as the machinery gets better so do the tolerances. Since you have a 3v I'd stick with 3v clearances if possible. It could be different crank materials expanding differently when at operating temp, a hotter operating temp, different bearing materials, lots of things.

As long as they are between .001 and .002 you are good imo. Did you have the machine shop target any particular size when they ground the crank or did the line bore?

The shop that did the line bore was a different shop than has been doing all the other machine work. I did tell them between 1 and 2 thou's

The other machinist (who turned the crank) just went 10 under.

Turns out the bearings which were sent to me were half groove thrust bearing (WRONG kind)...

3/4 and full groove bearings look the same in the pictures; how do I tell which I need? Block is from a 96 Mark VIII, but I couldn't tie that to anything definite.

BP

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back