First Ever Track Day!

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fortune smiled upon me as I happened to be in the right place, at the right time, WITH my car to do 1 day of a two day event at Watkins Glen. My brother's best friend is an instructor and gave me the scoop on how to make it happen, and I did about 90 miles on the 3.4 mile long course. I wasn't really using the full potential of the car as I was concentrating more on hitting my marks and being consistent, but in traffic I was too concerned with other cars to pay enough attention to my line. On my last session I was feeling pretty comfortable with the car and track so I let it hang out through the esses and backstretch. Seems the car will cruise nicely at 150 in 4th with enough left to set you back in the seat. For a first ever attempt and the first day on the course, my instructor would have cleared me for solo Group 1 if I had stayed for today. Needless to say, I had a blast!

Now to build something 1000 pounds lighter......

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
Thats awesome man! Now for your build your gonna want something like this...lol

dut09_1_2AqT7_69.jpg

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score
i ran into some of those engineering students at the hockenheimring when i was drag racing there a few weeks ago. those formula sae cars look like a blast to drive... it really made me feel happy about the fact that i get to go back to school next year to be a mechanical engineer!

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The pisser about not getting video is that I have a brand new GoPro HD sitting at the house and didn't figure I'd have any opportunity to use it on this trip. :damnit:

I just bought these from the track photographer:

20100816_WGI_GR1_3350.jpg

20100816_WGI_GR1_3653.jpg

I'll be home next week and am planning on doing a video up the canyon to my house.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Sweet! I love Watkins Glenn! I drove that course back in September of 2007 - had the best weekend there. Looking forward to going back soon. Sounds like had a great time.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back