First V6 Spydershaft

tenchi71

Reaction score
Just got back from Mason Dixon Dragway in Maryland were I met up with Ron from Leonard Racing and the guy behind Spydershafts http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/. I was picked to be the local "guinea pig" for his new line of V6 aluminium drive shafts. He asked if I would mind going to the track, doing a run with the stock drive shaft, and then right there doing the swap and doing a couple of more runs to see how much of a difference it made. I said ABSOLUTELY!

So I met hij out there today... a nice sunny 91 degree (HOT) day at the track. I've never been to one before, much less race on one, so this was all a new experience to me. It was a rain makeover day for the Annual Ford Event, so I got to see all manner of cool Fords.

Well, I go and sign up to race, and am crazy nervous. Ron gives me some tips on what I need to do and off I go. Ran a 15.94 on my first pass with the stock drive shaft. Got of the track, got my ticket and under the tent I go to do the install. Ron had the old shaft on and the new one installed in under 30 minutes. Here are some pics:

img032.jpg

First ever V6 Spydershaft (Manual)

img034.jpg

Close up of the Sydershaft label

img036.jpg

Stock drive shaft out of the car. Ick.

Now I gotta say... there was a definite weight difference. Felt like a 15-20 difference.
Install is done and we go out for a quick run up and down the local roads to make sure there aren't any weird vibrations, etc. HOLY CRAP!! Instant I put it in gear and hit the gas I totally felt the difference. Throttle response was smooth, linear and quicker, shifting through the gears was like butter, lifting off the throttle no longer jerked like it did. Smoooooooootheness!!! I was floored to say the least. The car felt like a completely different beast.

So back I go and get in line. This time I ran a 15.66, beating out the late 80's 5.0 in the lane next to me by a second. OMG... what a difference the drive shaft made for me inside the cockpit and on my times. Linear, smooth, easy to shift.

Ran a third time at 15.76... I left the damned traction control on, it kicked in at launch and then again when I went into second gear. Blah.... live and learn!

I can't thank Ron enough for the excellent product, the hospitality, and for my first intro to drag racing. He's a great guy with an amazing product. I had a lot of fun out there today and think I'll be visiting the local tracks from now on.

Here are some pics I took with my cell phone today.http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarmm/sets/72157601927967272/

I know you guys are going to ask.... "So how much?" I'm not 100% sure myself actually. I was lucky enough to have been picked to be his test mule, so I got it for free. Ron did mention that the Autos should be around the same price as the GT because they are identical. Unfortunately for us V6 manuals, we have a much longer drive shaft and he has to source the part out differently, so there will be a premium because of that fact. How much, I don't know. He did say that if anyone had any questions, to email him or PM spyder7724. If yo have any questions for me, just ask away!!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
looks like another fine piece of Quality Work. Congrats!

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very cool, thats in my neck of the woods. I should have gone today. Doh. Nice gains, thanks for the thorough write up.

tenchi71

Reaction score
looks like another fine piece of Quality Work. Congrats!

Thanks!! I'm really happy. Ron's a great guy and man, that new Spydershaft made a huge change in the demeanor of my car, for the better. Feels like I got a new car today. If you see this, thanks again Ron!

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thats some good news! good deal :)

I was at M-D today after this swap was done....this guy was happy :)
met Ron for the 1st time also...great guy to talk with!
enjoyed his company :)
however...sorry if I caused you to miss you next run :(

spyder7724

Reaction score
thats some good news! good deal :)

I was at M-D today after this swap was done....this guy was happy :)
met Ron for the 1st time also...great guy to talk with!
enjoyed his company :)
however...sorry if I caused you to miss you next run :(
yeah they switched classes on me right before first round then i missed the call for second round cause i wasn't paying attention to the new class i was running oh well to be honest mick i was ready to go home anyway. i can't deal with the heat like i used to(damn radiation). it's tuesday and i'm just now recovering from sunday. i get dehydrated really easy now but anyway..
oscar thanks for letting me use your car on an untested product and i'm very happy with the results.
approx 2-3 tenth drop in e.t.
weight 17lbs.
stock weight is approx 28lbs.
not as big of a weight drop as the GT shaft but since the V6 cars have much less torque it equates to roughly the same gain in performance.
all in all it was a fun day and everything worked out great.
they will be available in a couple weeks. i have to test the automatic version just to be sure it works well then i'll add them to the website. if anybody wants one before then just slip me an email or pm.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back