Flex fuel tunes

utm18

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody running the flex fuel tunes? Pro's or con's vs. A straight E-85 tune?

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
As far as I know, no mustang ECU supports flex fuel. Never seen one.

I wish it did. Flex fuel rocks.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, no mustang ECU supports flex fuel. Never seen one.

I wish it did. Flex fuel rocks.

apparently someone figured out how to use the front O2s in the 13+ (iirc) to get the ECM to figure out what fuel is being used and adjust.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I am running the Lund version of the Flex fuel tune. Ford uses the front O2's to read ethanol content. HP tuners cracked the ECM for existing Flex fuel vehicles and found that most 2011+ mustangs had the programming, but locked. The thing to realize is the Flex Fuel tune will NOT give the same gains as a dedicated E85 tune but it does give a good measure of protection against detonation and more spark advance. Its more of a convenience since I don't have to check the ethanol content when filling up. If your are looking for max performance, get a dedicated tune.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am running the Lund version of the Flex fuel tune. Ford uses the front O2's to read ethanol content. HP tuners cracked the ECM for existing Flex fuel vehicles and found that most 2011+ mustangs had the programming, but locked. The thing to realize is the Flex Fuel tune will NOT give the same gains as a dedicated E85 tune but it does give a good measure of protection against detonation and more spark advance. Its more of a convenience since I don't have to check the ethanol content when filling up. If your are looking for max performance, get a dedicated tune.

Dont be mad if it doesnt work for your specific vehicle. lol Because it does not work for every 11+ car. 11-14 you will need 47 lb injectors.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Why would it not work the same as a dedicated e85 tune? On GM is auto adjust from any value from 0-100% ethanol, and you can setup the flex fuel maps for as aggressive or not as you want. I have my corvette adding 5 degrees on e85 over e0.

utm18

forum member
Reaction score

How do you like the tune? Noticeable difference compared to a 93 tune? I was told by AED that it will work on all 2011 and up cars with the same gains as a E-85 tune only????

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will disagree with AED. Flex Fuel tune does not work on my car and my tuner has said it doesnt work on ALL 2011+

vinylinterior89

Reaction score
I will disagree with AED. Flex Fuel tune does not work on my car and my tuner has said it doesnt work on ALL 2011+

What tuner are you using? I was thinking about doing it on my 12, but I would hate to buy the 47lb injectors and have it not work.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am Lund tuned. He said it will work on most cars but there are some that it doesnt work on. I am on a dedicated E85 tune now.

utm18

forum member
Reaction score
I was originally going with a dedicated E-85 tune. But since they have cracked the code for the flex I will try my luck with that. If it doesn't work I just stick with the dedicated E85.
Did lund say why it worked for some but not others?

vinylinterior89

Reaction score
I am Lund tuned. He said it will work on most cars but there are some that it doesnt work on. I am on a dedicated E85 tune now.

Thanks for the info! I will def email them and see if they know if it will work based on my computer code before I buy injectors. I don't want to do a dedicated E85 tune.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont think they know which one it will work on for sure or not. He just said there are some that dont work.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how an O2 is supposed to read ethanol content? Doesn't an O2 read sensor read, well oxygen content? I think what is being meant to say is that the O2 reads how rich or lean the system is based on what fuel is being used and adjusts the AFR accordingly. The O2 doesn't know what fuel is being used, it just knows how much oxygen is in the exhaust.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I know they are widebands, but how are they supposed to read ethanol content?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Link is bad, has a part cutout in the middle

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its something that has always been there in the computer, just never switched on. They work the same as any flex fuel vehicle.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back