Ford Part Pricing Crazy!

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
April 27 2015 I paid $4.07 CDN for this pinion nut and crush sleeve. Priced it 15 months later and the CDN list price is now $25.28! What is going on?

travelers

Reaction score
Now that's a crazy price hike. Ford does some crazy things with pricing sometimes.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Scott, from what we've often noticed, when a particular part number is being used on a lot of warranty repairs, the pricing goes down. Once it is being used more for retail sales, the pricing mysteriously rises! In any case, keep in mind through TMC the dealer I'm at offers discount pricing for club members.

cheers
Ed

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
$13 @ Tasca

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/ar3z4c121a

IDK about shipping issues to Canada - maybe get someone in US to order and mail to you??

Just checked the shipping, cheapest option is $22.76 UPS. So this makes a total of $35.80 US which these days is going to be close to $48 CDN. Because it is UPS I will no doubt have to pay a brokerage fee and CDN taxes. In all honesty I would be lucky to get one for $60 CDN. Hmm... my CDN list price of $25.28 does not look too bad right about now.

I would not dream of reusing these nuts at $4.07, but at $25.28?

Anyone have experience with reusing them? Crush sleeve is not an issue because of solid spacer.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Scott, from what we've often noticed, when a particular part number is being used on a lot of warranty repairs, the pricing goes down. Once it is being used more for retail sales, the pricing mysteriously rises! In any case, keep in mind through TMC the dealer I'm at offers discount pricing for club members.

cheers
Ed

That makes sense after all it is a business. I get a wee discount at Whiteoak through GHMA, but it doesn't make sense to drive there for a few dollars savings. Ed if you get a chance to check the TMC price and you think it would be worth my while please PM me. Assume you are going to Stamped and I could catch you there if it would work.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Does this have anything to do with declared value? Because I might know a guy who lives on the other side of the pond from you, that has access to UPS and FedEx stores, and isn't afraid to lie about declared value.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
This is why despite only having odds and ends left for my engine build and upgrades to the car it's still a $7000+ total.

I got my pinion nut in the FRPP gear install kit - which gets you a lot of nice goodies. I think it was about $80 from Tasca?

Now $200 for me to get one.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I just went by Ford because Napa couldn't find me a part number for the electrical pigtail to the alternator. Guy behind the counter told me it was $55. I laughed and told him I didn't need the whole harness, just the connector and a few inches of wire. His reply was that it came with 8" of wire and the pigtail. LOL, they are real proud of that part I guess. Ended up just extending the wires.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Scott, the main reason NOT to reuse a nut is that the seal on the flat surface is used up, and as a result, you can get fluid leaking around it out of the rear end.

A few years ago I bought just the nut from a ford dealer, and it was ridiculous then, as the dealer marked it up like 200%+. But, had to have it that day, so paid for it.

Just do it right and get the right parts; it'll save you headaches down the road.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
Just checked the shipping, cheapest option is $22.76 UPS. So this makes a total of $35.80 US which these days is going to be close to $48 CDN. Because it is UPS I will no doubt have to pay a brokerage fee and CDN taxes. In all honesty I would be lucky to get one for $60 CDN. Hmm... my CDN list price of $25.28 does not look too bad right about now.

I would not dream of reusing these nuts at $4.07, but at $25.28?

Anyone have experience with reusing them? Crush sleeve is not an issue because of solid spacer.

Steve at Tasca parts will ship USPS for you so you save shipping and don't get hit with brokerage at the border.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! As it turns out I am going to pick a couple up at a decent local price from fast Ed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back