Forged Rods and Pistons Built Short Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Selling a short block I put together a few months ago. Price is $2800 shipped CONUS.

Parts list includes a WAP 1L aluminum block from a Mach 1. It's bored .010" over.
Pistons are Wiseco skirt coated with -6cc of relief. The relief pattern allows use with a 2v, 3v, or 4v head. With a 3v head compression is 10.2.
Stock 4.6 3v crank from my stock motor. Rods are new Boss. Bearings are King main and Sealed power rod. They use the AL-5 material which is close to stock.
Rings are Wiseco.

Specs are .0016" to .0019" for the bearings, .003 for piston to bore, side rod clearance of .010" to .011", end play of .012". The torque to turn the installed crank only was 20 inch pounds. Rings are gapped at .017" and .020".
Hone was done with a Rottler Diamond Hone to stock specs.

Areas of concern are scratches on the oil pan area, I'd add a thin layer of RTV between the block and oil pan gasket. There are also some very small scratches on the deck. They were noticed after the block was brought home and assembled. I'd use copper spray rtv on the decks and call it good but the proper way to do it is to have it decked. The price reflects this.

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Bruce, what do you think the approximate HP limit is with this engine?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce, what do you think the approximate HP limit is with this engine?

There are a whole lot of variables involved like tune, fuel, purpose, etc.

I'd think that 600rwhp would be a decent target for it. I'm not sure how strong the boss rods and rod bolts are, they would be the biggest concern and weakest link imo. I do know that they are sintered iron like the GT500 rods but these are beefier and shorter, both of which increase strength. They are well made.

With that said I've pushed a motor built on a 1L block to 699rwhp and didn't have any issues but it was more of a fun use than racing all the time. Things like street pulls, etc. I used it for over 20k miles with a variety of setups including na, Paxton, na with more stuff, Procharger, and na again. Never had a hiccup. It made a ton of dyno pulls and maybe 20 passes.

The other block had Mahle flat top pistons, h beams, and a stock crank.

Realistically I think that anytime a built 4.6 3v is pushed over 600rwhp it gets risky because bad fuel or an aggressive tune can take it out easily.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bruce! I was kinda thinking the rods would be the limiting factor.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haven't the boss rods shown reliable to near 700 in the Coyote motors?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Haven't the boss rods shown reliable to near 700 in the Coyote motors?

I haven't kept up with the Coyote stuff. I've heard 800 but in reality it would take a very good tune to pull that off. Not to mention keeping an eye on the accelerated wear associated with pushing a 5 liter motor to that high of a power level.

IMO without careful monitoring by the user and a safe tune along with good fuel hp ratings are fairly useless. Simple things can destroy a motor and higher hp motors are more susceptible to small issues having big impacts.

With all of that said I'm pretty sure that the boss rods are stronger than GT500 rods. The GT500 rods usually go right around 730rwhp but since the stroke is longer it's a distant comparison based only on the material and manufacturing process.

The motor is put together correctly, clearances are good. It will handle forced induction far better than a stock motor. The 2618 pistons are more forgiving of detonation, rods are stronger, rotating assembly is well balanced, rings have a little more gap. IMO these things are going to allow this block to survive higher hp applications.

$2800 shipped or $2600 picked up. All parts are new except for the block and crank. Both have been refinished by the machine shop to better than new tolerances. This block was built with streetable forced induction in mind. It will make a good daily driver. It is not a race motor.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have a set of 2010 heads in the garage but if you wanted a complete long block it would require cams, lifters, rockers, and more.

Memphis is selling a complete used motor for around what I'm selling this short block for. Maybe you should check his ad out.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Selling this for less than it would take to build one at $2400 It's a good deal and ready for boosted daily driver service.

If the buyer is local I can help assemble it into a long block when you are ready.

10.2:1 compression, 3.561" bore, Wiseco 2618 skirt coated pistons, new Boss rods. Bearings are stock clearances.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
TTT. 10.2 compression with the -6cc 2618 skirt coated Wiseco pistons. This is the solution for anything but all out race application. Price is right too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back