Found a black Friday deal on Lunati 3v cams

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've been looking at these cams for quite some time. They are Lunati 21270716.

Lift is just a little over .500. LSA 112 and ICL 102. This means I'll get to use vct again. Durations are right between comp 127500 and 600.

In short this is the cam I'd use if I was calling out a custom grind with one exception, I'd keep the lift to .500 max.

Anyway, I was just looking around the internet and found that Summit had them for $668 today. It was a hard choice between these and the slightly more aggressive 21270718.

I couldn't pass up the price, these cams should be just about perfect for my setup. They also sound slightly nasty.

Back to Home : Cams : Ford 4.6L & 5.4L Modular 3 Valve (2004 - Present)
Voodoo Hydraulic Roller Swinging Follower - Ford 4.6L & 5.4L Modular 3 Valve 271/279

Product Description

Hydraulic Roller Swinging Follower Cam Set. Awesome street cams with rough idle. Good mid range and top end. Like 4.10 gear and 3000 stall. Need springs, phaser mods and custom tuning.
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 271/279
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 233/241
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .500/.508
  • LSA/ICL: 112/102
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range:950-7000
  • Includes: Cams Only
Part Number: 21270716
Previous Part Number: 58016
Jobber Price: $743.91

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tinkering never stops! Nice pick up.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score

Lift is just a little over .500. LSA 112 and ICL 102. This means I'll get to use vct again. Durations are right between comp 127500 and 600.

In short this is the cam I'd use if I was calling out a custom grind with one exception, I'd keep the lift to .500 max.

Anyway, I was just looking around the internet and found that Summit had them for $668 today. It was a hard choice between these and the slightly more aggressive 21270718.

I couldn't pass up the price, these cams should be just about perfect for my setup. They also sound slightly nasty.

Voodoo Hydraulic Roller Swinging Follower - Ford 4.6L & 5.4L Modular 3 Valve 271/279

Product Description

Hydraulic Roller Swinging Follower Cam Set. Awesome street cams with rough idle. Good mid range and top end. Like 4.10 gear and 3000 stall. Need springs, phaser mods and custom tuning.

It sounds like you have quite a bit of motor / cam experience, do you install them with a degree wheel and adjustable timing set, or just line up the marks? I ask because it surely has to be a bigger PITA compared to the pushrod engines, "and for me", that was even quite a pita, hahaha

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It sounds like you have quite a bit of motor / cam experience, do you install them with a degree wheel and adjustable timing set, or just line up the marks? I ask because it surely has to be a bigger PITA compared to the pushrod engines, "and for me", that was even quite a pita, hahaha

It's not bad at all. Just do one side at a time, align the marks and that's it. Swapping cams is even easier. Lock the chains, mark them with the phasers, and that's really it. If it goes bad then the timing cover comes off and you are lining up timing marks. Pretty easy.

I verified with a degree wheel on the current motor. I doubt I will do it again. It was the only time I've degreed over the course of 4 different cam combos.

What I learned was that IMO I can only verify + or - 2 degrees with the wheel. It was that difficult to determine exactly what the wheel was reading. I suppose the ramp rate had something to do with it.

I do know that the human eye can determine things as fine as 1/4 minute of angle so IMO a wheel will only give you gross measurements (+ or - 2 degrees for my eyes) and only show gross errors in machining. I really do think that current machining will give greater precision than can be measured with a wheel but that's me.

Most of my internal combustion theory/motor experience is with the 3v. Prior to this car I had done simple things like changing parts, motor swaps, trans swaps, setting points, (remember distributors?) etc.

However, I never really understood the how and why of things like I do now until this car. I'd say that my understanding of internal combustion took a huge leap forward when I started to do my own tuning. Not only did I find and study some advanced material but I got instant feedback via my own motor and data logging along with the dyno and at one time the track.

I also was able to meet people who have an advanced knowledge of what is happening in a motor and why. People who will explain what things mean and why they matter. On top of that I'm lucky enough to work with engineers I can bounce stuff off of when it comes to clearances, fasteners, yield strength, etc. Things that matter when putting a motor together.

I don't claim to be an expert but I can tell you that I've had a very good time with this car. I'm one of those people who has to have something going on that interests me. I have to keep my mind occupied.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
One day, your badass car will be mine, BruceH. Keep tinkering... :troll3:

GT350Fox

Reaction score

Product Description

Bruce, in new here, hello. I'm just curious how you're liking the Lunati cams? How's drivability with the VCT being back?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce, in new here, hello. I'm just curious how you're liking the Lunati cams? How's drivability with the VCT being back?

They are supposed to come this week. It took awhile for them to ship from Lunati. BTW they shipped from TN which is where Comp is located. I'm wondering if Comp just started to make the Lunati 3v cams after the buyout?

I don't plan to put them in for a week or two. I have some time off between Christmas and New Years so I think I'll do it then. Probably do a dyno too.

My plan for VCT is fairly simple. The cams will stay at 0 degrees until the higher rpms, then they will only be retarded 6-8 degrees. I've made my own limiters. According to my measurements they should only allow 8 degrees of retard but I won't know for sure until the cams are in and I'm data logging cam position and airflow.

GT350Fox

Reaction score
They are supposed to come this week. It took awhile for them to ship from Lunati. BTW they shipped from TN which is where Comp is located. I'm wondering if Comp just started to make the Lunati 3v cams after the buyout?

I don't plan to put them in for a week or two. I have some time off between Christmas and New Years so I think I'll do it then. Probably do a dyno too.

My plan for VCT is fairly simple. The cams will stay at 0 degrees until the higher rpms, then they will only be retarded 6-8 degrees. I've made my own limiters. According to my measurements they should only allow 8 degrees of retard but I won't know for sure until the cams are in and I'm data logging cam position and airflow.

Wow, sounds like you have a really great understanding of these engines and valvetrain dynamics. I look forward to seeing your results and hearing what the cams sound like.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea occasionally bruce has an idea ;)

hah, looking forward to results bruce

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bruce = 3V
Scientist-1-Color.png

forum member
Reaction score
What is your reasoning behind wanting to stay under .500 lift? Is that the point of diminishing returns on a street car? Also what did you end up paying for them if you don't mind me asking?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What is your reasoning behind wanting to stay under .500 lift? Is that the point of diminishing returns on a street car? Also what did you end up paying for them if you don't mind me asking?

IIRC they were $668 shipped.

I don't think there will be any significant airflow difference with .500 lift or the higher lift of my current cams. At least not with my heads. Less lift means less stress on the valve springs.

I do think that the increased duration will help with airflow as will the 102 icl and ability to retard a few degrees at higher rpms. My current cams are locked out at 108 icl. They also have a 113 lsa. The new cams have a 112 lsa. Not much difference but with the increased durations it should help with air scavenging at higher rpms.

The current cams work just fine but I think I can get a little more on the low end and a little more on the top end with these cams.

GT350Fox

Reaction score
Bruce, I have been strongly considering Comp 127500 cams for the future with long tubes and other supporting mods but head work will have to wait. Looking at these Lunati cams has really made me reconsider. Your opinions on that?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce, I have been strongly considering Comp 127500 cams for the future with long tubes and other supporting mods but head work will have to wait. Looking at these Lunati cams has really made me reconsider. Your opinions on that?

127500 are good cams imo. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

To date I've had stock, 127300, 127400, Hot Rods, and my current cams which are basically 127500 with a 113 lsa (127500 have 112) and icl of 108 (127500 have 102).

I haven't had any issues with any of them. IMO 127400 are just about ideal if you want to keep the idle sounding close to stock while still having a more aggressive cam.

I wanted to go with the Lunati cams because they have durations that are longer than what I have now but the lift is less. The longer durations should help with the 3.75 stroke. It makes sense to me that a longer stroke should have the valves open longer to fill the cylinders. I also think that the valve overlap will scavenge a little more air when the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.

It's all a guess on my part. I'm learning as I go.

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC they were $668 shipped.

I don't think there will be any significant airflow difference with .500 lift or the higher lift of my current cams. At least not with my heads. Less lift means less stress on the valve springs.

I do think that the increased duration will help with airflow as will the 102 icl and ability to retard a few degrees at higher rpms. My current cams are locked out at 108 icl. They also have a 113 lsa. The new cams have a 112 lsa. Not much difference but with the increased durations it should help with air scavenging at higher rpms.

The current cams work just fine but I think I can get a little more on the low end and a little more on the top end with these cams.
Makes sense. It would be nice to have both low end and top end.
Have you decided on a solution for forced induction?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

I debated between the 500s and 400s for some time. What ultimately sold me on the 400s were the claimed drivability and power under the curve. I wasn't a fan of the advertised power band of the 500s on a daily driver. Also as Bruce expressed, there isn't much to gain with over .500 lift and like the slightly less stress that the 400s would put on the valve train compared to the 500s.

Overall, I'm very happy with them. Yes, they don't really lope much at all. Different mufflers change the amount of lope that can be heard as well. The drivability is PERFECT and I've had the car at 6600 rpm with it still not falling off even with the stock intake. Honestly I love how they sound, it doesn't sit and shake the car at idle, but it's certainly more pronounced than stock. Torque is impressive for a cammed car too. I really don't know why more people don't run these cams.

forum member
Reaction score
I really don't know why more people don't run these cams.

The masses are usually turned off by spring & phaser required cams. Glad they worked out for you though. Do you have the phasers locked/limited?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back