Front suspension popping - forever.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
There isn't one - I have to make it. I have 2 friends with tubing benders. Thing is, 1" chromo will probably kink. Cut/section and brace? Don't know what I'll do.

The Steeda front STB on my 2010 is 4130 chromolly..and I believe its aprx 1", or 1.125". It has 2 bends on each side, 4 in total. Steeda also makes another stb, with only 1 bend on each side. Both of em fit over top of either a M90 or tvs-2300 blower on the 2010 car... and the 2300 blower on the 11+ cars...with loads of room for the hood closed.

The local race shop that builds all the tubing chassis's for sprint cars and roll cages for sprint + stock cars..have no kinks in anything... but they are using bigger diam tubing...like 1 5/8" and bigger. They use both 4130 and also DOM tubing.

One trick that works well when bending tubing, is to 1st pack it with either sand....or rocksalt. Zero kinks everytime. The rocksalt /sand is easily removed when all done. Walker2GT put a light + go-pro camera in the eng bay..then closed the hood on his 2010.... to verify hood to stb clearance. You may want to do that 1st..with a real short steel ruler, to verify exact distance you have between blower and hood....then design around that. BTW, the stb's will clear the VMP-1900 blower per vmp.

Another option is to use steeda or similar eng mounts. They allow for a 0-.25-.5-.75" eng drop. I used the .25" drop. My stb was just touching the airtube b4 the new eng mounts installed. I think on the FRPP big whipple kits for the GT-500's, they come with the blower kit. I believe you can only go so low with the emg mounts....till you have issues with the LT's hitting the steering shaft. I have zero clearance issues on my 2010 with JBA LT's + .25" eng drop.

IF you can get a custom STB made, that's good. The big advantage of the steeda stb is its adjustable length at both ends. It also has spherical's on each end. The stb can have it's transverse bolt removed from either end..so the stb swings up, out of the way. Or it can be removed altogether. It uses all 4 x studs on each shock tower... instead of just two. And no slotted holes either. The thick steeda mounts are a snug fit around the 4 x studs. The beauty is... they don't have to be touched when you want to pivot the stb at either end. Of course, due to tolerances between cars.and spacing between shock towers, the length on the steeda stbs has to be adjustable.

To make a custom stb easier.... you could always have a round plate welded to the 4130 at each end..with 4 x slightly slotted holes. If you measured dead on b4hand, you could just have the 8 x holes drilled /punched dead on..so its a perfect fit...for your car.

Destination S197

forum member
Reaction score
Mine clunks when I back out of the driveway and turn the wheel to the left, as the passenger side wheel drives over the slight gutter and the tire drops onto the roadway, it clunks. I have given up trying to figure it out...

I don't have GT500 plates; I have J&M adjustable camber plates.

It doesn't make noise while driving on the road and going over bumpy stuff...its so weird.
It doesn't do it when I come back home and turn into my driveway... Only when I leave...

My passenger side J&M camber mount failed after a year. I didn't notice it until I went to replace the passenger side outer tie rod and had the suspension full droop on that corner. When I put the car back on the ground and compressed the suspension again, nothing but popping from that side.

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
My passenger side J&M camber mount failed after a year. I didn't notice it until I went to replace the passenger side outer tie rod and had the suspension full droop on that corner. When I put the car back on the ground and compressed the suspension again, nothing but popping from that side.

What do you have now?

Destination S197

forum member
Reaction score
What do you have now?

I ordered some new GT500 mounts but after listening to so many complaints, I may hold out and just order the Steeda HD mounts. I ordered the BMR 0069 springs and more Koni STR.Ts to throw together since the other parts have 35k on them. Might as well replace it all.

Gt500 mounts, springs, and dampers should be in today and frpp bump stops on Friday. I'll toss it together over the weekend and report back .

Last edited:

Destination S197

forum member
Reaction score
What do you have now?

Got them on over the weekend, the 0069 spring set is much better than the FRPP K springs were and I don't have anymore popping even with the GT500 mounts so all is well. Ended up with -1.7 and -1.9 degrees of camber but since they're not adjustable, it'll have to stay for now. I'll just drive more aggressively.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Turn the strut mounts 180 degrees and it will likely cure your camber issue.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I already have a pair of rear Roush springs in my shop, looking at picking up a pair of fronts. I bought the ford racing jounce bumpers.

See if this fixes the STR.T's. I'm betting it won't, I'm betting that this setup with bilstein monotubes would be fine. Or the Roush dampers.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A lot of good reading here. I have the Saleen suspension setup. I get a horrible thump/pop sound every now and again. This has me thinking as I don't think that the Saleen setup come with new strut mounts. This setup has been on my car almost 9 years now and I'd say the thump / pop / thunk sound has been noticable the last 2 or 3 years. It is intermittent though, not always there.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm safe in assuming the Ford 2014 front sway bar end links will fit my '08? The 2008 parts are discontinued, and I'm sure there have been incremental improvements.

Thanks in advance.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
After changing springs a few times I picked up some low speed popping from the front end even with the factory GT500 mounts. Ordered up a new set of OEM GT500 mounts and installed them and the problem is gone 100%.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back