Front Wheel Bearing

05bluestang

Resident Riceburner Kille
Reaction score
Anybody have their front wheel bearings go bad? I got a vibration in the front left side when I go into right turns. I checked all the usual stuff and found nothing. When I jacked the car up and spun the left front tire by hand it binds after about half a turn and then spins for half a turn. It's not the brake rotor, I checked to see if it was warped. That points at the wheel bearing. I only got 51K on the car and that damn thing should not be bad yet. What also sucks is that they only sell the whole hub and not just the bearings. Cheapest I found is at Rock Auto for about 72 bucks, everybody else wants well over $100 for it.

mrmonk7663

forum member
Reaction score
U could remove caliper and pads keeping rotor on. Bolt up wheel. Spin. If it still does this sounds like bearing for sure. No need to disconnect brake line, just zippy caliper out of the way.

luckyone

Reaction score
Yep I have replace my passenger side. It went bad at around 40k miles. Got mine for 57+tax. About 30 minutes to replace.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
honestly, the local pep boys etc has WAY better prices than dealer parts. ive done it before for various other cars. I think its the way to go.

05bluestang

Reaction score
honestly, the local pep boys etc has WAY better prices than dealer parts. ive done it before for various other cars. I think its the way to go.
All the locals (Autozone, Advance, NAPA etc do not have them in stock and charge $100+
Cheapest I found (even with shipping) is Rock Auto.....................

luckyone

Reaction score
I got my replacement from one of our vendors at work. When you have 300 company vehicles...parts vendors are extremely willing to help you out when you call for personal parts.

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
It's actually a GOOD thing that the hub/bearing assembly is one piece. Beats the hell out of swapping bearings. I got mine from Rockauto as well. The timken ones. Make sure to also get new axle spindle nuts part DORMAN Part # 615098. Pull the caliper, rotor and spindle cap off. Remove spindle nut, pull hub, bit of axle grease on the spindle, push new hub on, replace with new spindle nut and replace cap, rotor, caliper. It's cake.

05bluestang

Reaction score
It's actually a GOOD thing that the hub/bearing assembly is one piece. Beats the hell out of swapping bearings. I got mine from Rockauto as well. The timken ones. Make sure to also get new axle spindle nuts part DORMAN Part # 615098. Pull the caliper, rotor and spindle cap off. Remove spindle nut, pull hub, bit of axle grease on the spindle, push new hub on, replace with new spindle nut and replace cap, rotor, caliper. It's cake.

There are no seals that go with it? Do you have to put grease in the cavity like in the old days? Sorry, never did one on a newer car! Last time I did one was when you actually swapped the bearings and replaced the grease seals..........................(showing my age now)

2006gtmike

forum member
Reaction score
DORMAN Part #615098 Axle Spindle Nuts

Is this the only other additional part you need to install a new front wheel hub assembly?

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. And some axle grease for the spindle prior to sliding the new one on. That's it.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
There are no seals that go with it? Do you have to put grease in the cavity like in the old days? Sorry, never did one on a newer car! Last time I did one was when you actually swapped the bearings and replaced the grease seals..........................(showing my age now)

Bearings are sealed, so no grease needed, A light coating of grease inside the hub will stop rust and condensation. To much grease will can cause overheating and seal failure.

2006gtmike

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what BRAND is better or it doesn't matter?

I was looking at the Timken, but Motorcraft has a more expensive option.

Infamousjim

forum member
Reaction score
I did mine a few months ago... I Didn't have symptoms like yours, mine felt more like a bad tierod.... I assumed autocrossing is what wore mine out, I'd guess the same with you.

They are really easy to do, just make sure you've got a massive socket for the nut and a good torque wrench to get it torqued. An impact wrench would be nice too.

I also was quoted around $100/piece wherever I looked for the factory style ones.

So I looked up the ford racing FR500 hubs... They're supposedly heavy duty and also come with really nice 3" ARP studs. They are $200 and are sold as a pair. (I was quoted $150 for ONE oem ford one).
I bought the FR500 ones and saved money over regular hubs... not a bad deal. The only thing to be aware of is the super long studs if that bothers you, and you need open ended studs... but for all the tire swapping I do when I race, I'm very happy with the change.

here are a couple pics of my swap, it was even easier than I thought... took me about an hour total.
IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
IIRC timken makes the factory ford parts.

its a sealed bearing as others have stated, we used to just put them on dry. no issues on mine replaced once due to a wreck i had. i even reused the nuts but it is recommended to replace them...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back