Gear swap - Should I find another shop?

LB75

forum member
Reaction score
So I stopped into a local shop today hoping to get a quote on putting 3.73 gears into my 2011 GT. We didn't get to the price quote because their service manager was out for the day, but they mentioned that they believed it was about a 7 hour job. I should run away and not look back right?

LB75

forum member
Reaction score
Run... Run far away

That's what I thought. The alarm bells went off as soon as he said 7 hours. This is the same shop that told me they send their clients to PepBoys for an alignment after doing suspension mods. Kind of scares me to think they have a dyno in operation after this.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
If that shop utilizes Pep Boys for there Alignments there is not an issue IF the guy doing the Alignment truly understand Suspension Angles.

As for the Gear Install. For a shop that charges a Flat Rate that is not unrealistic if the Bearings are changed as well. There are many shops that will put together a package price for gear installs. Here at the Dealer I work for we charge $750.00 plus tax including parts!

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I'm at a local shop right now getting my 3.73 in. $599 parts and labor flat rate.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was $350 plus parts for the gear install. I supplied the parts and fluids.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Here is the All Data Break Down on Labor. If you look it is 4.6 plus another hour for the Ring and Pinion. That does not include additional bearings that might be needed.

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandardDifferential Case
Replace
With Limited Slip
B3.34.6NOTE
To R&R Ring & Pinion, Add
B0.01.0To R&R Side Bearings, Add
B0.02.2To R&R Pinion Cups, Add
B0.00.2To R&R Axle Bearings, Add
B0.00.2To R&R Gear Kit And/Or Clutch Pack, Add
With Locking
B0.02.5Without Limited Slip
B2.93.2NOTE
To R&R Ring & Pinion, Add
B0.01.0To R&R Side Bearings, Add
B0.00.4To R&R Gear Kit And/Or Clutch Pack, Add
B0.00.2To R&R Pinion Cups, Add
B0.00.2To R&R Axle Bearings, Add
B0.00.2

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It really depends. Ask around. Word of mouth is worth a whole lot when it comes to gear work. Don't shop price unless you are willing to take whatever they give you. A quality gear install costs a little more around here. I've had several gear sets over the years (4 not counting the originals) and once I found a good installer I've stayed with him.

It ends up costing me about $450 just for labor but it's well worth it to me. I want my car to ride comfortably and for the cabin noise to be as quiet as possible. I also have the axle bearings and seals changed out every other gear swap.

One of the installs took three teardowns before the gears were quiet. I didn't have to bring it in 3 times, the installer test drives his installs and if something isn't right he fixes it before telling me my car is ready. Not many shops do that.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm at a local shop right now getting my 3.73 in. $599 parts and labor flat rate.

Where? And didn't u just do them this week yourself?

It was a few years back, but I paid $450 parts and labor IIRC, 3.5hrs.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Where? And didn't u just do them this week yourself?

It was a few years back, but I paid $450 parts and labor IIRC, 3.5hrs.

Mustang Magic. It made too much noise so just got it redone.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Well as all things, prices go up I suppose. Having done myself once I found the price fair.

LB75

forum member
Reaction score
If you're near Fayetteville, Competition Auto did mine 8 years ago for $500 with zero issues.

I'm a couple hours from Fayeteville in Concord. Not opposed to driving a couple of hours for quality work.

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Get about $150 in tools from Harbor Freight and do it yourself. (press, magnetic dial indicator, torque wrench). There is enough information and people here to get it done right. And if you use genuine Ford gears, setting the pinion depth is a breeze. The gears, new bearings, and shims should cost you about $250...so you could potentially get it done for $400 and have tools for future jobs. Plus you have satisfaction of knowing exactly what was done in there. If you can borrow, or already own, the tools then it might only cost about $300 including some high dollar synthetic lube (75w-140 BTW). Gears aren't that scary once you do a set or two.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back