Get rid of your 3valve it'll never be fast!!!

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One think about ths diesel option and also same for 4x4 option.....the price you pay for those options does not depreciate like a normal option does. 5 or 6 years later that 5k or so you spent on 4x4 is still there when compared to a similar truck with 2wd. Same thing with diesel engines....they don't depreciate.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They depreciate, just not as much. But you are still tying up your money in something.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They depreciate, just not as much. But you are still tying up your money in something.
True. The money is tied up.....with the bank!!!! 0% interest loans ftw. Right?

You buy it, use it, sell it, no intrest.... 4x4 has very little depreciation, what's not to love? For the 4x4 option, you will hardly loose any money on it.

But thinking this through...to get that 0% interest loan......you have to buy brand spanking new.....and there is no getting around the overall crazy depreciation on a new vehicle.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
They still depreciate, just less so. Its still a number crunching game based on what you need though because a more expensive truck will get more taxes, and for those of us paying intrest, more interest will be paid.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Diesel, gas, that's for the birds! My next vehicle, 100% electric. I'll still have the Mustang around, up on blocks or whatever.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Diesel, gas, that's for the birds! My next vehicle, 100% electric. I'll still have the Mustang around, up on blocks or whatever.
Sometimes I get so pissed off trying to diagnose some petty problem with my archaic, polluting, internal combustion engine...... that in a moment in my anger, I think about how much less of pain in the ass all this would be if this were electric.
Except for the getting electrocuted part.

Right now I am taking the valve covers off because I want to see what shape the vct solenoids are in and check the cam timing phasers.....in 50 years that statement is going to sound laughably outdated.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
The only thing I haven't seen mentioned with this diesel debate here is the money you get back in resale when you get rid of the truck. It's not a compete return on your money, but a substantial part of it does come back.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
I don't really trust any diesel with any aftertreatment system. They have gotten better, yes. However, the amount of down time and money my shop spent on my 2012 Ram 3500 is laughable. The last time the whole system got swapped and haven't had any problems relating to the DPF.

Still, it's the number one reason why I will most likely never buy one for personal usage.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to get rid of my 3v. It took care of that itself.....the peice of junk. I can't even think straight right now.
941f884cf09c326ee22cbefa754b1937.jpg
178c1c9435c751618f8ae967d4aadf99.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How long was the engine together? That's a weird one. What tipped you off that there was a problem - phaser knock? Low oil pressure?

Do all of the caps look that bad?

Could possibly grind and polish that cam, install a bearing insert.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DURA-BOND-FA...ash=item46596cdc4c:g:GrkAAOSw1~JZR5Dz&vxp=mtr

edit: just read your last post. No symptoms! Too bad Bruce is gone.
Yep. No warning signs other than the excess friction when turning the motor over. Still ran strong as heck at WOT untill the trash messed up the phasers/solenoids. Will look into those eBay bearings...thank you. I love my mustang. Hate to have to put her down for a while.

How long was the engine together? That's a weird one. What tipped you off that there was a problem - phaser knock? Low oil pressure?

Do all of the caps look that bad?

Could possibly grind and polish that cam, install a bearing insert.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DURA-BOND-FA...ash=item46596cdc4c:g:GrkAAOSw1~JZR5Dz&vxp=mtr

edit: just read your last post. No symptoms! Too bad Bruce is gone.
And yes all the caps are scored bad. Not enough though that the cam had any slop or wiggle. I don't think it removed any material/ clearance.....I surely would have seen sheen in the oil and particles in the head.....I think. Just scored the hell out of the towers and caps.

Do you know anyone that has any experience fitting those? Curious what the specs are for how much material to remove from the cam towers and the cam to make clearances right.

Last edited by a moderator:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
You need a _good_ machine shop, should be academic. The manufacturers of the bearings sell the setup to do it otherwise it's a matter of rolling your own, installing a cutter on a bar, making it concentric, sending it through, and also grinding and polishing the cam surfaces. I don't know enough about how you can size those bearings or if oversized versions are available since a decent amount of material needs to come off of that camshaft. The manufacturers of the bearings do say that they are selling tons of them as this is a very common failure.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need a _good_ machine shop, should be academic. The manufacturers of the bearings sell the setup to do it otherwise it's a matter of rolling your own, installing a cutter on a bar, making it concentric, sending it through, and also grinding and polishing the cam surfaces. I don't know enough about how you can size those bearings or if oversized versions are available since a decent amount of material needs to come off of that camshaft. The manufacturers of the bearings do say that they are selling tons of them as this is a very common failure.
Thanks for the info. There is a machine shop in town that could handle it. If not them, I know a guy out of state that coukd easily do it. BUT.

yhe rest of my motor.....IE the bottom end, I need to see it. This cam issue could be a symptom of something bad in the basement.....although I had zero signs of knocking, poor performance, sounds, whatever. The only reason I became aware of the whole ordeal is because the VCT started wigging out.

Right now I am thinking about a picked 3v from the yard. EBay has a ton of 08-10 engines out of wrecked GTs. 1500 -2000 shipped.

The manufacturers of the bearings do say that they are selling tons of them as this is a very common failure.

Can you get me a way to get in touch with them?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Everything I've seen, once you lose phaser function from contamination the engine is done.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Everything I've seen, once you lose phaser function from contamination the engine is done.
So the phaser has been contaminated, wonder why my VCT screens looked perfect? Not a speck on them.

http://www.dura-bondbearing.com/

Dura-Bond Bearing Company
3200 Arrowhead Drive
Carson City, Nevada 89706

Phone: 775-883-8998
Fax: 775-883-9497
Thanks! I found a good daily (thanks to my uncle at the big dealership) so rebuilding this engine instead of dropping a used engine in will now be possible.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
So the phaser has been contaminated, wonder why my VCT screens looked perfect? Not a speck on them.

Something is up if your vct was having issues, take them apart. You can gamble and put it back together, but I'd tear the engine down to bones, I guess. :\

Mostly F150 with this stuff here, once the phasers go the engine is generally junk. Spend thousands, just good money after bad.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Something is up if your vct was having issues, take them apart. You can gamble and put it back together, but I'd tear the engine down to bones, I guess. :\

Mostly F150 with this stuff here, once the phasers go the engine is generally junk. Spend thousands, just good money after bad.

Hopefully this deal on a cheap daily I have pending goes through today. It will give me time to tear it all down and figure out what happened. Take my time and fix it right. But for that to happen I need a cheap daily. What should I look for in the phasers? did you see the VCT solenoid pics I posted? they were perfect, zero trash in the screens.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
You need to dismantle the entire engine, get the heads rebuilt and repaired, and start from scratch. Take apart your oil pump. Take apart the phasers. Perhaps your sacrifice offering can help others, and please the 3V gods!

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
I don't really trust any diesel with any aftertreatment system. They have gotten better, yes. However, the amount of down time and money my shop spent on my 2012 Ram 3500 is laughable. The last time the whole system got swapped and haven't had any problems relating to the DPF.

Still, it's the number one reason why I will most likely never buy one for personal usage.

2nd Ram diesel, firstone was an 06, and couldn't keep a tranny in it.
My 2012 3500, hands down best truck I have owned and best diesel. I have driven. With saying that I have 120k on the clock and 20k of that with all the deletes, and getting 19 mpg on the HWy (imperial)

Back