Getting ready for Emissions Testing

ixtlan

Reaction score
As the owners of the newer vehicles with electronic controlled everything the modified car presents some issues come emissions testing time.
When we as owners mod these cars by adding CAI (Cold Air Intakes) or the numerous other mods we can do it requires us to change the programming of our PCM (Power Control Modules) or as they are also called by many as the ECM.
Most CAI's will be provided with a new "Tune" to take advantage of the increased airflow with them. If they do not then the engine will run lean due to the fuel tables programmed in the PCM are for the restrictive stock intake.
These Tunes must be programmed into the PCM using such products as the Diablo Predator, or SCT Xcal series handheld tuners to mention the most popular.
You can also get highly modified tunes for the track (Off Road Use Only) from companies for even increased performance out of the engine. Bamachips, and Brenspeed are two very popular companies that provide these.
Now we have modified our cars and love the new found power and torque.
But we have also created a problem.
Emissions Testing is going to be a problem.
With the modified tune in virtually every case the rear O2 sensors are turned off. This is done because the rear O2s are turned off in 99% of aftermarket tunes because the light will trip under load because of the increased amount of air flow through the sensors.
But this will also give you the dreaded Not Ready at the emissions test.
So the fix is simple. An Emissions tune is required.
This tune will allow you to use your CAI and Pass emissions testing when you are not at the track.
Simple?
Your not done yet.
Installing the E-Tune is simple enough with your programmer.
But now all the tests that give you the Ready for testing at the emissions station need to be completed first.
This is done by completing the "Drive Cycle".
The DC is a series of ways to drive the vehical to invoke the different tests that check the emissions components of your engine.
Here is a link to the Ford OBD drive cycle tests procedure:
http://ratstangrestoration.com/drive-cycle.pdf

Now verifiying these tests are completed requires another piece of equipment. The OBD reader.
The Handheld unit you installed your tune with will not tell you if these tests have been completed.
At least none of the ones I am aware of.
So another reader will be required.
We use this one:
reader-can.JPG

But any good code reader should have this capability also.
You can also do the drive cycle tests and go to your local parts store and borrow theirs to see if you completed all the tests.
I would suggest you just buy your own. They are handy to have around and relatively inexpensive.

Here is what you are looking for:
Reader.JPG

The available Monitors will be shown for your vehicle (Monitor Tests).
The Failure codes if any (Failure Code).
And the ready or not for Emissions Tests (Ready Light).
Most readers have this setup also.
If a test has not completed the round Monitor ball will flash for that test.
If the Ready Light is red you have a failure.
If Yellow then all tests have not completed.
And Green means you are ready and all tests have completed.

Follow the Drive Cycle to the tee to make these happen.
The EVAP is the hardest to complete.
Here is a quick and dirty procedure which is a little confusing in the procedure pdf file I linked too.

The EVAP test must be completed within the first 30 minutes of operation or it will not invoke.
Starting with a COLD engine and ambient temp above 40F (40 to 100F) with 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel.
Load your Emissions Tune with your XC2 or Diablo, or whatever you use.
Plug in the Reader.
Turn Key ON without starting the engine.
Clear any codes and this will also reset your emission monitors to clear.
Turn Key OFF.
Turn Key ON and start the engine.
Idle 15 seconds before you do anything else.
Then go drive on a level as possible road at 40 to 55 mph for about 10 minutes avoiding sharp turns or hills that will slosh the fuel around.
A little pre-planning of your route helps here.
Use an even and slow throttle depressions to accelerate and decel.
Monitor the reader for the EVAP ball to go steady.
May take a few attempts to get this one but if you can get by EVAP the other tests are easy to get done by just popping on the freeway and driving around town.
When you have the green light and no codes your ready for emissions testing.

Hope this helps ya all out getting through it.

Last edited:

ixtlan

Reaction score
or you can find the right smog shop at the right price and avoid all that.

In my parts all the smog testers are hooked up to the state directly.
Plug it in and reads the data and transmits directly to the DMV.
Behind the Zion Curtain...

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
Any cliff notes on this?

I failed my emssions test (have an off-road H pipe) and would LOVE to not have to spend 400 dollars on a catted X-pipe in order to pass. I have a Vortech blower and SCT Brenspeed email tune.

--Brandon

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
Ixtlan,
ive noticed serveral of your threads were you chime in about emissions testing... Do you have a thread somewere out there that covers an ass ton of all the emissions non-sense and some of the fixes and or work arounds ! Thanks bro ! Great info too !

ixtlan

Reaction score
Ixtlan,
ive noticed serveral of your threads were you chime in about emissions testing... Do you have a thread somewere out there that covers an ass ton of all the emissions non-sense and some of the fixes and or work arounds ! Thanks bro ! Great info too !

Sorry I dont.
I just pass on things I learn, as I go.
Lots of hours of research figuring out the issues I had here and there.
And the desire to learn how all this stuff works.
Sort of my nature to tinker and teach too.
Something stops working and I want to know why it stopped, not that it did.
Made a career out of it too.

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
Well 1 time when I had to do my emmisions I did just as the DC said to do and I stil didnt pass. It took me to put the factory airbox on and factory H-pipe.

ixtlan

Reaction score
The EVAP is a tough one to get done.
The instructs must be followed to the letter or it wont complete.
My first E Test I had to put the airbox back on and go to stock calibration.
After that I dug into what and why and found my XC2 just cant tell me when things are ready. But I had the Innova and could experiment and SEE when something completed. I got an emission tune for my setup from Dynojoe with the rear O2's on, and once past the EVAP I was good to go.
No problems since whatever.

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm Cams and LTs in Cali.. Yup im fucked!! Ill be finding a Friendly smog tech ! ;) either that or a nice Catted midpipe and good emissions tune !

BLKBULLITT

forum member
Reaction score
you guys have to get testing done year round? even if the car is insured and registered already?

Damn that sucks... All we have to do down here is if the car is older than 10 years it requires an inspection.. after that its all done and over with.

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
dang all we have is through the ecu not the tailpipe and unless your tech is one of those hardass's that puts your car on a lift before he takes it to the machine. so as long as you have a tune that makes all your ready status's ready then your good. also the great thing about texas is we have counties where emissions testing isnt required. all the race cars and most of the heavily modified porsche's i use to work on were registered to farm land or to just vacant properity GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!

Murphdog

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd emissions test since I've owned my 08 GT. The first 2 times, I found it easy to just put my stock air filter and stock tune back onto the car and passed easily (The only mod I have is a C&L CAI/custom tune). I just went to have my inspection 2 weekends ago and even with the stock filter and tune, it failed the Catalyst and Evap tests. I tried driving my car at about 50mph for a while went back, and it still failed. The shop then gave me a print out of the OBD Drive Cycle procedures. I haven't had a chance to try it again, but I have through the end of November to figure it out.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ixtlan, thanks for the excellent info. I just wanted to add that Auto Zone rents out an OBD scanner that will tell you when your various emissions components are "ready" or "not ready."

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In my parts all the smog testers are hooked up to the state directly.
Plug it in and reads the data and transmits directly to the DMV.
Behind the Zion Curtain...

It's the same way out here in CA. Anyone claiming to "know somebody that knows somebody" is generally full of shit. Shops are not going to risk being closed.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
It's the same way out here in CA. Anyone claiming to "know somebody that knows somebody" is generally full of shit. Shops are not going to risk being closed.

I wouldn't say that, at least not in GA. A guy I know just bought a Grand National and this is the last year it would have to pass emissions before being exempt. Instead of spending the cash to get it to pass, he paid the guy $100. I wasn't there, but I believe him because the car is now registered and still has no cats.

Only reason he even told me this is because I was telling him about the sticky situation I put myself in by installing my LT and catless H 2 months before learning I would had to register the car in GA. I just bit the bullet and spent ~$350 on removable cats because I'm going to have to deal with this annually for a while.

Also, just to make it known. Welding clamps to cats to make them easily removable is also illegal. Paid $100 to get mine done.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My aftermarket tune passes all obd2 tests with the rear o2;'s off. I was told once that there are 3 actual settings. on, off, and not installed/applicable, If set to off, you wil lnot pass ready tests, but not isntalled will.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
My aftermarket tune passes all obd2 tests with the rear o2;'s off. I was told once that there are 3 actual settings. on, off, and not installed/applicable, If set to off, you wil lnot pass ready tests, but not isntalled will.

Nice. I actually had to buy a rear O2 because one of my factory units had died. It was installed for 2 weeks and now its on the shelf until next year.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score

Thats actually pretty good info. Wonder if the e-mail tuners could use this for their "emissions" tunes:thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back