Goodguys Del Mar 2015

claudermilk

Reaction score
I almost forgot about this event due to all the family drama going on. Thankfully I checked my calendar and my wonderful wife insisted I go & get my Mustang therapy. :driver: So, that made for a somewhat frantic Saturday afternoon after she got off work. Get the car washed & go grab the race wheels/tires and mount them. Got that all done, so the car was pretty & ready to run Sunday.

I was happy to see they changed the course this time around. Instead of the 3 wide corridors with obstacles thrown in, it was more like a mini SCCA autocross with actual corners. Yes, still stupid tight & mainly featuring hairpins & narrow slaloms, but better than before. The first hairpin resembled an actual turn instead of forcing the big, heavy cars you see at a Goodguys even to pirouette around a single cone. The surface, of course, still sucked even after being swept & rubbered all weekend; it was still very slick and the big turnaround to start the second lap still ran over the opposite-camber part of the lot to make that one interesting.

I was extremely pleased with the suspension mods to the car again. It felt solid, responsive, and generally hooked-up. I was able to easily pitch the rear at will and catch it. The only issue I really had was getting power down--I spent most of the straights managing tire spin. I know I was going faster than last year as I was barely able to get the car stopped at the finish (they have a stop box & you have to complete to a complete stop after crossing the line); the second run I stood on the brakes hard enough to stall the engine.

The competition was much better this year--that's good and bad. Good as I had to push it to stay competitive. I'm not sure where I ended up; I didn't catch standings while there & only heard I was 3rd after the first run--and results aren't posted yet. I know I didn't win as I didn't run through the awards presentation. :/ That said, I held my own and apparently I and the car impressed. Good enough for me--a much-needed little ego boost. I know my last hot mess of a run entertained the crowd as I heard them over the engine & tires. If you aren't going to win, may as well hoon it up. :burnout::insane:

Video will be posted once I am able to get it off the GoPro & edited somewhat (again, family issues preventing access to my main editing PC right now).

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Got em

2015delmar.jpg

claudermilk

Reaction score
Hmm, I keep looking at their site & am not seeing the results--must be looking at the wrong place. Anyway, thanks. 5th....meh not too bad & the cone didn't change anything (I know that was my 2nd run & I clipped the damn thing). I was expecting to get beat by the '06--it's a Coyote-swapped track rat. By the notation I guess I "trophied" which isn't bad.

It's also kind of cool that we got to run the same event as Little Al (I am presuming it's THE Al Unser Jr.).

frink: Thanks. Did you stop by & chat? I would have loved to meet a forum member in person. FYI, I'm at FFF next week.

Anyway, quick & dirty GoPro edits for your amusement.

woodside783

Reaction score
car looks good out there. The Tuckers are hard to beat in what ever they drive

frink84

Reaction score
frink: Thanks. Did you stop by & chat? I would have loved to meet a forum member in person. FYI, I'm at FFF next week.

no, didnt get a chance to stop and chat. had a busy day sunday.

i wont be at fff, got invited to the scca event at qualcomm so im running that instead. what part of socal are you in? im in south oc.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Well, NOW they post them at GG. That's the page I've been looking at. :rolleyes:

So since I beat one of the Tuckers, I guess I did ok? :biggrin: The competition was definitely stepped up this year.

frink: Right now I'm in south OC. I'm planning on being at the SV event at Cal Speedway on the 3rd. I'm trying to get the white & blue '08 Dan Gurney Mustang out there, too (the one who missed the 2nd lap).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back