Griggs Racing suspension build.

Darkside323

forum member
Reaction score
I've had a Griggs set up for a year in June. I love it!!!! Went to the track this weekend for the first time with it on and boy was she planted. Until my lower radiator hose busted while in a turn which sent me off track of course. While they had the diff apart I also had them install a Boss 302 spec Torsen differential.

alrefire

forum member
Reaction score
I've had a Griggs set up for a year in June. I love it!!!! Went to the track this weekend for the first time with it on and boy was she planted. Until my lower radiator hose busted while in a turn which sent me off track of course. While they had the diff apart I also had them install a Boss 302 spec Torsen differential.
Awesome! I'm finally talking to s197 people with this setup! Haha
How much of it do you have?

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm finally talking to s197 people with this setup! Haha
How much of it do you have?

There are a number of people around here with both the Griggs setup and the Cortex Setup.

I'm running the Cortex Torque Arm and it works for what I need it to do. I don't particularly care for Grigg's support for the small guy (have heard many a horror story) so I contacted Filip at Cortex and he bent over backwards and then some to get me on his torque arm while working within the SCCA's restrictive rules. My hope is that one day I can do more than just recommend people to Cortex and hassle him about bushing issues (which disappeared for me when I switched to the Poly torque arm bushing over the Delrin bushings from before). I'd love to dump the money into his SLA setup.

alrefire

forum member
Reaction score
There are a number of people around here with both the Griggs setup and the Cortex Setup.

I'm running the Cortex Torque Arm and it works for what I need it to do. I don't particularly care for Grigg's support for the small guy (have heard many a horror story) so I contacted Filip at Cortex and he bent over backwards and then some to get me on his torque arm while working within the SCCA's restrictive rules. My hope is that one day I can do more than just recommend people to Cortex and hassle him about bushing issues (which disappeared for me when I switched to the Poly torque arm bushing over the Delrin bushings from before). I'd love to dump the money into his SLA setup.
I have seen the videos for cortex racing, but I couldn't find much info on their website (if I'm thinking of the right thing) in regards to their sla setup.
The video they have of the shelby with the watts link is pretty cool.
I show it to people when they ask me what a watts link does (compared to a phb)

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Honestly I've never had issues with Griggs service. Every time I have a question I shoot them an email and Bruce Griggs calls me. He's even answered all my questions about products that are still in development.

alrefire

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I've never had issues with Griggs service. Every time I have a question I shoot them an email and Bruce Griggs calls me. He's even answered all my questions about products that are still in development.
He helped me plan out my build over the phone yesterday!
he also helped me with something when I called in the past.
He seems like a nice guy, and is pretty helpful!

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I have seen the videos for cortex racing, but I couldn't find much info on their website (if I'm thinking of the right thing) in regards to their sla setup.
The video they have of the shelby with the watts link is pretty cool.
I show it to people when they ask me what a watts link does (compared to a phb)

Filip, the owner, is an engineer and engineers are naturally terrible marketers! :p If you call and talk to Filip he is more than willing to divulge just about any information you could want to know about the setup. I pressed him pretty hard on %AS changes in roll and pitch with the torque arm before I ever made the leap. I had an idea what to expect but he was able to provide more concrete numbers and really solidify what was going on with the setup at varying phases of the corner.

Also, there isn't much on the website about their S197 SLA setup because there simply isn't much of a demand for the product to the point it needs marketing. It exists because he knows that there are people who want it, it isn't advertised because it is really a series of essentially one off parts. Those Radial X Spindles are ridiculously nice...

Then this has changed because he used to piss on a lot of the small people in the world (IE: Casual track day people, autocrossers and people looking for badass street cars) for the folks looking to win races.

Last edited:

alrefire

forum member
Reaction score
Filip, the owner, is an engineer and engineers are naturally terrible marketers! [emoji14] If you call and talk to Filip he is more than willing to divulge just about any information you could want to know about the setup. I pressed him pretty hard on %AS changes in roll and pitch with the torque arm before I ever made the leap. I had an idea what to expect but he was able to provide more concrete numbers and really solidify what was going on with the setup at varying phases of the corner.

Also, there isn't much on the website about their S197 SLA setup because there simply isn't much of a demand for the product to the point it needs marketing. It exists because he knows that there are people who want it, it isn't advertised because it is really a series of essentially one off parts. Those Radial X Spindles are ridiculously nice...

Then this has changed because he used to piss on a lot of the small people in the world (IE: Casual track day people, autocrossers and people looking for badass street cars) for the folks looking to win races.
I'd like to have something to compare to griggs, but at this time I don't have the resources for it.
If/when I go with sla, it'll be after I graduate from college

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am 100% happy with the Griggs parts on my car also, I did not deal with Bruce directly but for the most part everything went smooth when ordering/receiving/installing the parts.

SD_Stang

Reaction score
One thing I would recommend is to find a good installer with knowledge of how to setup that type of Suspension. I went through a rather bad install and had to take it to a good shop to get everything corrected, corner balanced and the rear axle aligned which made a world of difference in the car. I have the Full Super Street kit with the Single Adjustable Koni Coil Overs, Torque Arm and Watts options, no SLA but everything in the rear minus the Rear Anti Roll Bar. I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's 285/35 19's and will be running those on all four corners.

Next upgrade will likely be replacing the single Koni's with double JRi's after that I may be looking into the Maximum K-Member and front suspension they plan to add. Can you imagine a Griggs/MM hybrid!

alrefire

forum member
Reaction score
One thing I would recommend is to find a good installer with knowledge of how to setup that type of Suspension. I went through a rather bad install and had to take it to a good shop to get everything corrected, corner balanced and the rear axle aligned which made a world of difference in the car.

Could you elaborate on which parts you're referring to?
All I'm installing are the control arms. I can see where you're coming from for the watts link and torque arm. (Center rear axle and correct the pinion angle)

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on which parts you're referring to?
All I'm installing are the control arms. I can see where you're coming from for the watts link and torque arm. (Center rear axle and correct the pinion angle)
The pinion angle can be adjusted using spacers where the TA mounts.

I measured the watts link alignment using the frame rains and the axles.

LCAs should be set at stock length.

alrefire

forum member
Reaction score
516560977b35d2432d4bcfcebc95c7ee.jpg

Does that look right?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure. I did the poly ones. But I think it is. As long as the link is straight when installed you're good. Make sure you set it to the same length as your OEM ones.

alrefire

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure. I did the poly ones. But I think it is. As long as the link is straight when installed you're good. Make sure you set it to the same length as your OEM ones.
Same length, even though there are the relo brackets? (Install won't be for at least another 2 weeks or so, so I'm not rushing it)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back