"GT350" Spotted with Less Camo

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I was reading the April 2014 Car and Driver magazine today and saw they have a rendering of the GT350. I guess it is speculative.

Some details stood out to me about the proposed GT350.
-Powertrain is not going to be topping the GT500
-Expect 5.0L with slightly larger displacement equipped with a flat-plane crankshaft
-8,000+ RPM Range
-550HP~
-Only Manual Transmission

Competition:
-Chevrolet Camaro's (includ SS/1LE and Z/28)
-Dodge Challenger (lol)
-Boss 302

Price Figure
$50,000~

This is all of C&D speculation.

3y9u4aby.jpg

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
Every suspected SVT prototype seen testing on the streets had some form of Coyote engine with a traditional cross-plane crank. Unless they are going to release an FPC engine without road testing I think that is still a wild rumor.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the Coyote block is tapped out for bore and nearly tapped out for stroke. Will a 3.75" crank even fit? Would it even be worth it?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I'm waiting on whatever SVT comes out with... I'll be putting in an order for one if the actual car looks like the renderings and comes with the wide tires and big brakes. I would like to see a turbo'd 5.0 power plant from the factory.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Twin Turbo GT350.... ahhh dreams....

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I'll wait till 2017. That way they can work the kinks out with the beta market that first two years.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
My understanding is the Coyote block is tapped out for bore and nearly tapped out for stroke. Will a 3.75" crank even fit? Would it even be worth it?

The Coyote can be punched out to 351ci. JPC's $15,000 kit apparently can handle 1,500+hp, but I haven't actually seen any of those kits putting down the numbers.

I'll wait till 2017. That way they can work the kinks out with the beta market that first two years.

Might as well wait for the 2035 model, or the 2064 model.

Every new model gets its own share of kinks.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Exactly. The 5.0 was only back for two years before they did a "facelift" for MY2013, and 2015 is a new platform/"updated" 5.0. I'm sure in 2017 that there will be something else updated that will prevent the "late adopters" from taking an interest in buying that MY.

The auto companies are actually ramping up the speed in which they do facelifts or upgrades to their vehicles. At one point, the Ford training rep had told us that Ford's plan is to do a facelift one year, and then a whole upgrade the next year. Kind of like Intel's "Tick-Tock" process. Now how this would work for cars, I don't know, because it sounds like a lot of $$$ and work. However, just look at the pickup truck battles, and the battle of the muscle cars ever since the big 3 "revived" all of their ponies. Almost every MY, one of them is coming out with something better than the other cars. The auto companies have to keep improving almost every year to stay ahead of the competition.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The auto companies are actually ramping up the speed in which they do facelifts or upgrades to their vehicles. At one point, the Ford training rep had told us that Ford's plan is to do a facelift one year, and then a whole upgrade the next year. Kind of like Intel's "Tick-Tock" process. Now how this would work for cars, I don't know, because it sounds like a lot of $$$ and work. However, just look at the pickup truck battles, and the battle of the muscle cars ever since the big 3 "revived" all of their ponies. Almost every MY, one of them is coming out with something better than the other cars. The auto companies have to keep improving almost every year to stay ahead of the competition.

Mustang has a history of this. 65-66, 67-68, 69-70.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing it come back. Fresh faces sell cars and make used vehicles more available for guys like me that don't like to buy new.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Might as well wait for the 2035 model, or the 2064 model.

Every new model gets its own share of kinks.

I have the worst luck in the world. Every time I bought a new car that was inside the first 2 years of production, something major went wrong and I don't deal with that shit any more. Ford and the Mustang are no different.

I could not care less about cosmetic changes. I am concerned about engine and drive line changes. Some quick examples... the life of the S197. 05 and 06 had notorious cooling issues because of a poor head flow and thermostat location design. The heads also had problems with spark plugs seizing. That was fixed in 2007... I bought a 2007 Mustang. In 11, they switch motor and trans and had major transmission issues and the engine had ECU problems. Those issues were fixed in 2013... I bought a 2013 Mustang.

Well, now... its new engine, trans, brakes, suspension, drive line, etc. So, I am assuming right on par, the 2017 should have the kinks worked out well enough that I am willing to spend my money on it. And if a car model changes so radically that I can buy a new one in its 3 year of production with the same or very mildly improve engine/trans/drive line, then they are likely fucking up "something" pretty bad and its not working for them, so I am not interested anyway.

For me, its a good plan and has been working for almost 16 years. So, I'm going to stick to it.

Last edited:

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
I could not care less about cosmetic changes. I am concerned about engine and drive line changes. Some quick examples... the life of the S197. 05 and 06 had notorious cooling issues because of a poor head flow and thermostat location design. The heads also had problems with spark plugs seizing. That was fixed in 2007... I bought a 2007 Mustang. In 11, they switch motor and trans and had major transmission issues and the engine had ECU problems. Those issues were fixed in 2013... I bought a 2013 Mustang.

Well, now... its new engine, trans, brakes, suspension, drive line, etc. So, I am assuming right on par, the 2017 should have the kinks worked out well enough that I am willing to spend my money on it. And if a car model changes so radically that I can buy a new one in its 3 year of production with the same or very mildly improve engine/trans/drive line, then they are likely fucking up "something" pretty bad and its not working for them, so I am not interested anyway.

For me, its a good plan and has been working for almost 16 years. So, I'm going to stick to it.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but your methods won't prevent the car you choose from having issues. When the 2013's hit they had crank sensor o-ring issues causing the cars to shut off while driving. Also the front LCA groaning issue seemed more common with '13s than the earlier models, or that the fixes were less reliable.

If I like the '15 I will likely get one. First model years don't scare me. However I'm not like those who stand in line waiting to be the first ones to get the hot new toy. I'll likely wait a while to assess my financial situation.

Now that I think about it, it would be smart to wait a while not just to see what kind of issues arise, but also what kind of aftermarket support the car will see. The S197 has been on the road for nearly 10 years now with tremendous support. We'll see how quick the S550 follows that.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Thanks bro... The worst was a 94 Sunfire. Engine blew once at 13,000 miles, again at 30,000 miles and was haunted with all kinds of electrical and mechanical issues in between. Car was a damn nightmare.

Those are all good points. I hear you on the whole standing in line thing. I never understood that mindset of being the first to have the latest and greatest. Hanging outside of Best Buy or the Apple Store for hours/days.

In the area I live, when nitch market cars like the new Mustangs, Camaro's, Charger/Challenger's come out, there are typically huge ADM's the first year too. and when I say huge, I mean like $10k ADM for the 2005 Mustang GT to $20k for 2007 GT500. My father in-law went 2 hours north to get the 2013 GT500 we have now, just so he could get one without an ADM. That is another reason I stay away for a little while.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
The engine is the same minus a few modifications, and the transmission is the same...

ditto. Same model transmissions, but Ford claims they have done a few tweaks to improve the shifting mechanics on the MT-82. The 5.0's main difference is the direct injection, but I think (I could be wrong) they also have stuffed the 2013/2014 track pack items (engine wise) as standard this time.

EDIT: http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-glorious-5-0-v8-under-the-hood-of-the-2015-1502031979 - the picture comments of the engine bay are hilarious. Example: Someone highlighted the sound tube, and told it to "Fuck off."

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back