GT500 BUILD THREAD! 'vert is being replaced!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
The Convertible is in the process of being parted out, the motor is gone with a ton more stuff to go!
The plan was to wait until it was gone to pick up something new, but a local deal popped up that I could NOT refuse!

Down to business!

The new car is a 2008 Shelby GT500! One owner car, Black with Pepper Gray stripes!
Factory HID's and Shaker 1000, 3.31 Gears FTL!

This thread will document everything that is done to the car. I am starting with a clean slate, as this car is bone stock other than the clutch. I have no idea what clutch is in it, the older gentleman I purchased the vehicle from only knows "it is the most expensive clutch on Summit Racing." :dead2:

First plans: Swap over Bassani Race axle back, 2010+ Mirrors, Smoked tail lights and side markers from the 06, then we will go from there!

This thread will be updated often!
f7744692.jpg

d32c1b86.jpg

e5b8fe15.jpg

83aaf834.jpg

de5cc81f.jpg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
How many miles are on it??

I like the 3.31 gears. I only ended up with the 3.73's in my car cause it came from the factory that way but I would the car I test drove had 3.31's and I liked them better.

Put your Forgestars on the Snake!!!!!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to working on this one!

How many miles are on it??

I like the 3.31 gears. I only ended up with the 3.73's in my car cause it came from the factory that way but I would the car I test drove had 3.31's and I liked them better.

Put your Forgestars on the Snake!!!!!

Right at 70k miles on it. A bit more than I would like, but the price was right and it has been well maintained.

I'm used to 4.10's in the vert, I guess. I feel like it takes forever to get into the right rpm range.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I must say I like the GT vert setup better so far. That 08 gt500 is plain jane to me still. Better hook it up good with big power and looks! gonna take some work to get back to where you were.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats!

A couple tips for your build. Ditch the 3.31's for 3.73's and replace the factory X with an H. My 08 GT500 was the hardest car I have ever had to find a nice exhaust note from. The factory X just doesnt like aftermarket mufflers unless they are a touring muffler.

A 10% lower balancer, 2.6 upper pulley and a posi performance race port will make your balls tingle every time you step on the go fast peddle. Trust me!

Enjoy it. They are a great car with a great platform to build on.

-Nick

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I must say I like the GT vert setup better so far. That 08 gt500 is plain jane to me still. Better hook it up good with big power and looks! gonna take some work to get back to where you were.

You know me, I'll get it done right! Not worried about the looks whatsoever! I'll have it looking better than the vert in no time! :beer:

Congrats!

A couple tips for your build. Ditch the 3.31's for 3.73's and replace the factory X with an H. My 08 GT500 was the hardest car I have ever had to find a nice exhaust note from. The factory X just doesnt like aftermarket mufflers unless they are a touring muffler.

A 10% lower balancer, 2.6 upper pulley and a posi performance race port will make your balls tingle every time you step on the go fast peddle. Trust me!

Enjoy it. They are a great car with a great platform to build on.

-Nick

Thanks for the tips man! Not really sure which direction I will be going with this one honestly. I'll figure something out once the rest of the parts are gone from the other car.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:thumb2: For some strange reason, we Mustang owners don't seem to posess a lot of patience for waiting! :boobies:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Wheel hop and clutch chatter FTL. Is there any way to figure out what clutch is in this thing without pulling the trans?

S197/zx14

forum member
Reaction score
This thread will document everything that is done to the car. I am starting with a clean slate, as this car is bone stock other than the clutch. I have no idea what clutch is in it, the older gentleman I purchased the vehicle from only knows "it is the most expensive clutch on Summit Raciing.

Thanks everyone! Wheel hop and clutch chatter FTL. Is there any way to figure out what clutch is in this thing without pulling the trans?

Go to summit racing and find the most expensive clutch on there?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you put it on a lift there may be a window in the bell housing. Look in with a flash light if so.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back