GT500 "build"

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GT500: Color Changed, and not a build...a purchase of one that's en-route

OK, so I got approval from the wife to trade the 07 GT/CS in for a new GT500, so here is what I'm thinking:
  • Sterling Grey
  • Stripe delete
  • (Also considering Kona Blue with the white stripe, but then you have to get the white accents on the seats, abd that just means more cleaning)
  • HIDs
  • Black accents on the seats
  • no nav
  • no electronics package
  • no Shaker 1000
  • can I delete the "event recorder box"? :damnit:
Once I get it, the only mods I'm planning are the smaller SC pulley and tune. When I said that, my wife gave me that look that said "YEAH, RIGHT!". :)

Last edited:

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely get the sterling gray, I think its the nicest and most discreet color on the new 2010's. Funny, if i were to get a gt500, it would be exactly the way you want it, except for i'd consider kona blue with no stripe as well as sterling gray

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get the gray; that blue is horrible.

Don't feel bad, my girl gives me that same look. I don't even bother saying that a particluar mod is the last anymore.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Sterling Gray as that is the color of mine and I receive compliments about it all the time.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup, I agree the Gray is the mosr discreet. Also, when I look at my Perf White 07 after I've had to drive it in the Houston rain to/from work, and haven't washed it for 3 weeks, guess what color the crap that collects on it is? That's right; Gray!

My Ford salesman said Ford may not be building the GT500 as a 2011 model due to the 2011 Mustang GT having the 400 hp 5.0 motor. He also said "build-outs" (I guess production) for the GT500 would be ending in Feb. I'm planning to order mine the 2nd week of Jan, so that I can be taking delivery towards the end of Feb. I wonder how much of that is true, if at all?

Does anyone know the gear ratios for the 07-09 GT500 tranny and how they changed it for the 2010 (other than changing the rear axle ratio from a 3.31 to a 3.55)?

Last edited:

05xgt

Reaction score
Wish mine thought like yours. Mine just says, "what's wrong with the one you have? Can you be happy with that one"? Sheeeesh! Maybe it's getting time to trade her in for a "Newer Mode". LOL

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
Wish mine thought like yours. Mine just says, "what's wrong with the one you have? Can you be happy with that one"? Sheeeesh! Maybe it's getting time to trade her in for a "Newer Mode". LOL
lol i got the same quote last night...followed by a you spent what on your car and cant buy me and engagement ring?? i was like are you shitting me?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I'd get the nav setup unless you plan on adding an after market one like the F90BT.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a keeper.(I mean your wife lol). I'm gonna have to go against the grain, I like the Koni Blue.

She is. LOL, my wife didn't make it too easy, however, she did make me recite all the mods (and $$) I'd made/spent on the car...ok so the Kona blue is also nice...kinda reminds me of the '97 Viper GTS I had, but the sleeper quality in the Sterling Gray might win out.

lol i got the same quote last night...followed by a you spent what on your car and cant buy me and engagement ring?? i was like are you shitting me?

I got a couple things working for me: an Enron severance check (better 9 yrs late and 15% of what I'm owed than nothing/never, I guess), a bonus from work, and my boss is ranking me for promotion, so I'm trading my car in, adding a nice cash down-payment, and financing about half, for a manageable payment.

I think I'd get the nav setup unless you plan on adding an after market one like the F90BT.

Hmmm, I guess since its the hard-drive based sustem, ot isn't the DVD based system, maybe. I don't know when I'd use the dang thing. I rarely have the need for such a thing. The extra $$ would more than cover the cost of the smaller SC pulley and dyno tune (do I need a differnt idler too?)

Anyway, anyone know the gear ratios on the 07-09 GT500 Tremec T6060, and how they changed for 2010?

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either of those color!

I would pass on the nav as they are way over priced and you can pick up a nice portable GPS for a couple hundred that you can use in any car.

So, any idea how you would do on the trade-in?? Are you planning to take it back to stock before doing the deal??

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either of those color!

I would pass on the nav as they are way over priced and you can pick up a nice portable GPS for a couple hundred that you can use in any car.

So, any idea how you would do on the trade-in?? Are you planning to take it back to stock before doing the deal??

For sure taking it back to stock on the trade, with the exceptiojn of the 4.10, naturally. I figure I'll get ~16k, which translates to 17k with the tax effect. I'll be selling:

• the ZEX nitrous kit with billet aluminum bottle bracket, 2 x 10 lb bottles and HSW plate, comes with extra 3AN hoses, and the fogger
  • Stingers
  • AirAid CAI
  • Powerhouse aluminum DS (5k on it)
  • CHE:
    • Adj PHB
    • LCAs
    • UCA
    • H&R 26 mm Rear Sway bar with billet aluminum endlinks and spare bushings
  • xCal 2 (think I'll buy the big xCal tool that shows AFR, etc)

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think the NOS bottles will be full too, because I'm getting nervous about spraying and hurting the engine before the trade it...in fact, it's a pain to heat the bottle to 900 psi from the 450 psi it sits at in these temps....and with the cold air, I swwear my car's making at least 30 hp more, so I've been running NA exclusively...

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not look at new 09s. Still several out there for a way better price.

I wonder roughly how much less? $3k? $5k? $8K?

I am considering that alternative. Here are some Pros for each:

Pros for the 2010:
  • Factory CAI
  • 3.55 axle ratio from the factory & taller 6th gear ration for better highway mpg
  • Suspension/tire combo: front/rear tire compounds optimized for the suspension to improve handling over the 09
  • Projector (true) HIDs
  • Stability Control
  • No leather on the dash: I have a feeling the new-age plastics will last better after years in the sunlight
  • Can order it with the color and options I want (or don't want)
  • Less mods needed to "get it where I want"
Pros for the 2009:
  • 2010 CAI is a paper filter element: will need to buy a K&N type filter anyway
  • Axle ratio: might not be an issue to have a 3.31 with 600 rwhp, which Richard assures me he can get with a CAI, SC pulley, plugs and a dyno tune.
  • FRPP and other suspension kits available. Also 285/40/18 and 255/45/18s are cheaper than the 285/35/19s etc
  • Stiched leather dash does lool cool, as does the center console lid and door armrests.
  • 2009 is better looking outside? The 2010 butt will still require getting some used to.
  • Info/Setup/Reset buttons are where they belong...on the 2010 they're by the light switch...WTF?
Hmmm...maybe I do need to look for a new, unsold 2009. Happy to hear opinions on the above....

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back