GT500 with Whipple 2.9--still a lot of room for improvement

rodfarva

forum member
Reaction score
The best pass of the night and my new PB was [email protected] mph. The rest of the story follows below.
For those that have been following my other posts on maxing out the Whipple 2.9 (or maxing out the stock short block if you prefer) and my misadventure with LCA relocation brackets, I finally got the car back to the track tonight. I now have welded-in CHE LCA relocation brackets and I added a BMR Extreme Anti-Roll bar. I'm running Mickey Thompson 28x10.5/15 ET Drag Slicks. On my C16 tune, the car puts down just under 800RWHP.

Getting the suspension dialed in on this car and figuring out how it likes to be launched as proved quite difficult. On my first pass, I managed a 1.61 sixty foot time, but the car lost traction after the 2-3 shift and started going sideways, so I had to end the run early. I coasted through the traps with a 7.11@91.
004-1.jpg

I made some adjustments to my shocks and dropped the slicks from 12.5 to 10.5 psi. This time, I launched at 5000 instead of 4000 like in the previous pass. The car launched straight and hard and I short shifted the 1-2 shift at only 5000 accidently. It still felt good, so I stayed in the run and was pleasantly surprised. There were no mid-track traction issues this time.
[email protected] mph with a 1.47 60ft time.
003-1.jpg

I attempted to make one more pass without making any changes with the hope of improving my shifting, but I guess it was not to be. 60 ft time worsened to 1.58. The car then must have badly broke traction, because it bogged very badly on the 1-2 shift. Should have aborted the run right then, but I stayed in it and ran the worst pass of the night--7.40@100.

This car seems to have so much potential left in it, especially based on the mph it trapped on the 6.72 run. I feel like there is at least another .10 to be had in the 60ft time. Not to mention, I've yet to powershift the car. All runs thus far have been grannyshifts.
I think I can get this thing in the 9.90s in the quarter with the current set-up. It just needs a hell of a lot of driver mod. I'd really like to make a sub 9.99 pass with the Whipple 2.9 on the factory long block without resorting to the nitrous that I have on standby. I think it is possible with the weight reduction mods that I have done and with power that I am making--that is, if the factory engine holds together for long enough.h

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back