Has anyone put moleskin on there window seals?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Has anyone put on the moleskin kits they sell for preventing the tint from getting scratched? Was it worth it?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes it is completely worth it. and sadly to say no i didnt do it and my tint is scratched. just havent had time to get it redone correctly. no one knew about the moleskin when i got my windows tinted. thank god for lifetime warranty haha

Tortuga

[[princess]]
Reaction score
What exactly is this moleskin kit? So it goes on so the stock window set up doesn't scratch the tint? Why does it do that anywayz?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the stock piece on the inside of the door, that comes in contact with the glass is a hard piece, not soft felt so any dirt that gets caught would be pressed into the glass. its fine with no tint, but if it gets in there with the tint, it scratched the tint to hell and eventually will wear a hole through it. the moleskin is basically a felt like layer applied to the hard stock piece that eliminates this problem by trapping the dirt inside.

Tortuga

[[princess]]
Reaction score
the stock piece on the inside of the door, that comes in contact with the glass is a hard piece, not soft felt so any dirt that gets caught would be pressed into the glass. its fine with no tint, but if it gets in there with the tint, it scratched the tint to hell and eventually will wear a hole through it. the moleskin is basically a felt like layer applied to the hard stock piece that eliminates this problem by trapping the dirt inside.
Oh, i get it! my tint is scratched to hell. dealer installed, think they'll reinstall new tint?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Here's where I got mine....just have to put it on still.

http://www.tintprotector.com/ford/index.htm

Hopefully i'll be getting my window tinting tools soon to start doing tint on the side. I had one half done by a pro and I did the other side. He pretty much gave me a quick lesson and it really isn't that hard. Having the right tools makes it alot easier.:thumb:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had mine put on when I did the tint in August of '05, still looks fine. Installer said they wouldn't warrantee the tint work without it.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i would take it to the dealer morgan and make them fix it yes

RoketGT

Reaction score
Works great. When I first had the windows tinted, the tint shop said they wouldn't scratch. 2 weeks later, here come the scratches. They had to strip the tint and reapply it. This time I made sure the moleskin was installed. No scratches since!

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car being one of the first 05 in my area, no one knew about the window tint scraching. The dealer got it tinted, scratches appeared, they had it re-tinted again, no mole skin and scratched again. I was pissed and removed the tint. A few months later I purchased the mole skin and installed it but haven't tinted the windows yet. The wife's 06 had the mole skin installed before they tinted it and no scratches.

07TorchRedGT

Yes, I installed it before I had my windows tinted. (Tint guy had no clue what it was, and didnt know that there was an issue with the S197's)
NO scratches, pretty easy install.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I have mine on now and there is now a write up in the diy section. Thanks for the replies!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back