Have a whining MT82? Take it in!

Bald Menace

forum member
Reaction score
Sometimes it might seem better to simply buy used rather than possibly fighting for warranty work. Buy something 1-2 years old after the first owner has shaken out all the problems, and if you buy it from a dealer then they have fixed the issues in order to sell the car.

sometimes a person gets so frustrated that they trade the car in and the dealer doesnt do anything about it unless it's so big of an issue that it cant be overlooked and in a case like that it would have been dealt with under warranty anyway.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Stopped in the dealer to get an update. Gears are in, pressure plate is in, found a bad synchro going back together so it's waiting on he ordered synchro. Should be ready Friday.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
has anyone taken it in for the trans whining even if they have mods on car..IE blower, long tubes, suspension etc etc..

I would de-mod as much as possible. I expect a hard time with mine since I have an aftermarket k-member (not possible to switch back at this point). I would take off the engine mods and put stock tune back on, but I would expect the full suspension and k-member would be enough for them to suspect it would be tuned per the TSB and do an investigation.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Mine has a tune, UMI LCAs and UMI relocation brackets, as well as a Barton shifter bracket. I explained to the tech how to take the bracket off even. They haven't said a word. You have to find a dealer who isn't a douche.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has a tune, UMI LCAs and UMI relocation brackets, as well as a Barton shifter bracket. I explained to the tech how to take the bracket off even. They haven't said a word. You have to find a dealer who isn't a douche.

Agreed, sometimes you don't have one within a reasonable distance though.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score

Definitely the exception and not the rule in your case. Consider yourself very lucky and buy them lunch or something...lol. The shifter bracket would kill the warranty for most people on the tranny.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I would de-mod as much as possible. I expect a hard time with mine since I have an aftermarket k-member (not possible to switch back at this point). I would take off the engine mods and put stock tune back on, but I would expect the full suspension and k-member would be enough for them to suspect it would be tuned per the TSB and do an investigation.

You realize they check if the computer has been flashed before right? Mods visible or not they do.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
You realize they check if the computer has been flashed before right? Mods visible or not they do.

I highly doubt that every dealership wastes the time to check every single car that rolls into every single service bay to see if it had been tuned at any point in time. If there is a reasonable suspicion, or if a tune stands a chance of causing the issue, you bet your ass they check it. It would be an uphill battle proving that a tune could have caused transmission issues.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I highly doubt that every dealership wastes the time to check every single car that rolls into every single service bay to see if it had been tuned at any point in time. If there is a reasonable suspicion, or if a tune stands a chance of causing the issue, you bet your ass they check it. It would be an uphill battle proving that a tune could have caused transmission issues.

Sure, maybe with trucks and sedans but not Mustangs. They know people mod them so they will check for a tune a most will void the warranty if so. And yes, they would have to prove the mod caused an issue but doesn't mean they will tell someone different than that

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Sure, maybe with trucks and sedans but not Mustangs. They know people mod them so they will check for a tune a most will void the warranty if so. And yes, they would have to prove the mod caused an issue but doesn't mean they will tell someone different than that

I still have a hard time believing that every dealership checks every Mustang for a previous tune. I'm not sure how much time that takes, but from a company which usually fails to do basic troubleshooting on an issue, I can't fathom they take the time for this unless its suspected.

jukens

Reaction score
Just had my transmission rebuilt new syncros and gears as well as my rear end gears twice to get rid of the whine all under warranty. Repairs authorized by a FSE. I'm running a Paxton, umi lca's, relos, shifter, lots of mods...

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I still have a hard time believing that every dealership checks every Mustang for a previous tune. I'm not sure how much time that takes, but from a company which usually fails to do basic troubleshooting on an issue, I can't fathom they take the time for this unless its suspected.

Well you better believe it. You should read through some threads about guys taking theirs in for the transmission and catching shit for tunes... You really think Ford wants to pay to replace the transmission? They would rather for the owner to pay by finding something that "caused the issue."

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Well you better believe it. You should read through some threads about guys taking theirs in for the transmission and catching shit for tunes... You really think Ford wants to pay to replace the transmission? They would rather for the owner to pay by finding something that "caused the issue."

There are all kinds of threads where people took their car in for X or Y and caught shit for tunes, and just as many where people with tunes and mods didn't catch any shit at all. I don't find any of that conclusive enough to think that Ford is doing that kind of deep dive on every single Mustang.

It doesn't really matter if they do or don't in reality, since once you've tuned the car they can always tell. Best case scenario they fix it. Worst case scenario, they don't and I'm exactly where I'm started.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
The letter of the law (Magnuson-Moss Act) is that they have to prove the modification(s) caused the failure. I'm not sure why more people don't fight this.

I had an issue with the shifting with my T5 back when it was a 4.0L. They put the request on "hold" while they waited for some regional guy to come out and make a decision (I had a ProCharger on it). This guy supposedly came out and said "no". I gave them my lawyer's card and asked who he should call. I also cited the MM Act, said I would win, and said I would ask for attorney fees. I got a call the next day saying they would look at it. Turned out to be a defect in the input shaft.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ModTechRacing

forum member
Reaction score
i have the same thing going on with mine right now.. its actually at the dealer getting those things replaced as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back