Have an idea, need input

Mustangfreak

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After reading Josh@PMP's thread about his in dash computer, I'd like to have something like that. But I was thinking about having the computer not in the dash, but maybe in the trunk, or under the passenger seat.

I'd like to have a pc in the car, not only for my mp3's, but for video as well. And isnt there a program where I can hook the computer up to the OBD2 and it would show me the cars stats while its running? That way I could choose certain parts to monitor and have them displayed on the screen. Know what I mean? Also, is there a program for GPS?

Where would I find a touch screen to fit in the space where the stock radio is? I would need it to hook up to a laptop, or a small desktop.

Any help would be apriciated.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After reading Josh@PMP's thread about his in dash computer, I'd like to have something like that. But I was thinking about having the computer not in the dash, but maybe in the trunk, or under the passenger seat.

I'd like to have a pc in the car, not only for my mp3's, but for video as well. And isnt there a program where I can hook the computer up to the OBD2 and it would show me the cars stats while its running? That way I could choose certain parts to monitor and have them displayed on the screen. Know what I mean? Also, is there a program for GPS?

Where would I find a touch screen to fit in the space where the stock radio is? I would need it to hook up to a laptop, or a small desktop.

Any help would be apriciated.

My PC car computer is in the trunk. I'm running cable from the front (a 20foot vga cable, 20foot usb cable for the the touchscreen and power from the computer for the screen so the computer control the screen).
It's on the back of the back seat. vertical position.
I'm using a regualr 3"5 hard drive with no problem on the road. much faster and cheaper than 2"5 hard drive.

For the screen you can get it from www.mp3car.com i have a 7" touch screen with subaru impreza frame and F150 metra kit to fit the double din mustang.
http://store.mp3car.com/Subaru_WRX_bolt_in_kit_with_toushcreen_p/dsh-013.htm
For software i have my own frontend (home made road runner clone) that handle video & audio, it also handle the gps software (iguidance 3.0 ) that use a gps usb stuff http://store.mp3car.com/BU_353_Weather_proof_GPS_Receiver_p/gps-002.htm

For ODB2 i have a odb2 -> Serial adapter and i'm running a software from palmerperformance but i'm not please with the result, so for my side odb2 is for the instant a partial failure.

eni.png

Enicar.jpg

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
are you going to hit the naws twice and tell it to shut up when it beeps at you?:clap:

Had to do it...

Pretty cool setup though!

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just be sure the computer gets good airflow and ventilation otherwise it won't work for long in the trunk (or inside the car).

If it were me, I would be trying to figure out how I could run some outside air in a duct to where the computer fan could pull it into the chassis and then also exhaust the hot air back outside. To do this you'd need to cut a couple of holes out in the floorpan such that no water could get back into the trunk or computer for that matter. Maybe on the backside of the spare tire holder would be a good place. You can use those small 3" soffit vents that have louvers to help with that and you can get 3" aluminum flex tubing at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Anyway, good luck with your setup. Just promise me you'll pull over when didling with the computer and not wind up as a statistic in a wreck!

Thx,

Mike

Mustangfreak

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My PC car computer is in the trunk. I'm running cable from the front (a 20foot vga cable, 20foot usb cable for the the touchscreen and power from the computer for the screen so the computer control the screen).
It's on the back of the back seat. vertical position.
I'm using a regualr 3"5 hard drive with no problem on the road. much faster and cheaper than 2"5 hard drive.

How do you have it set up where the pc boots up when you start the car?

Also, did you delete programs or other things to get the pc to get up and running as quick as possible? If so, what did you do?

Mustangfreak

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just be sure the computer gets good airflow and ventilation otherwise it won't work for long in the trunk (or inside the car).

I was thinking keeping it in the car, that way I don't have wires that are really long. Would the data get delayed since it has to travel through lines that are 20 feet long? That wouldn't be best if I were looking at the car's parameters via OBD2.

Thats why I was thinking about keeping it inside. I wonder if there is a way that I can secure the pc under neath the glove box? That way it can get air flow, because I'm always driving with the windows down, unless its raining, and when it is, I just use the vent's. I rarely use a/c.

What do yall think about that?

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The pc use a special automotive power supply that take care of the power on (i use the original power on from the shaker 500) and power off 10 sec after i shutdown the car. It also measure the voltage to be sure to not discharge the car.

For temperature. I'm using a 1.2mhz PentiumD with a very small fan, there is no problem to run it a more than 80°C. even in full sun in summer my pc do not have any problem, and i didn't make anything to add some fresh air in my trunk.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm using a 1.2mhz PentiumD

Since I used to help manufacture those things down in Austin (the AMD flavors), I think you meant to put a G in that speed rather than an m! :clap:

1.2MHz might be an x286 or something like that!:shock: LOL!!! Hell it might be an old 8080 or 8085! Damn am I dating myself or what?

1.2GHz is actually the last processor speeds we built in Austin with aluminum metal interconnects Anything faster came from Germany and was done with copper interconnects! Outsourcing 101 and killing American jobs.:tdown:

You'll probably be ok with it in the car. Cable length shouldn't matter as long as they are standard OEM computer cables and are shielded and such. Just be careful and not mash them under something after you re-install the actual car components you take out or loose.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since I used to help manufacture those things down in Austin (the AMD flavors), I think you meant to put a G in that speed rather than an m! :clap:

1.2MHz might be an x286 or something like that!:shock: LOL!!! Hell it might be an old 8080 or 8085! Damn am I dating myself or what?

1.2GHz is actually the last processor speeds we built in Austin with aluminum metal interconnects Anything faster came from Germany and was done with copper interconnects! Outsourcing 101 and killing American jobs.:tdown:

You'll probably be ok with it in the car. Cable length shouldn't matter as long as they are standard OEM computer cables and are shielded and such. Just be careful and not mash them under something after you re-install the actual car components you take out or loose.

Hope this helps.

Mike

You're correct. must be tired to wrote M:samuri:.

2 years with my computer in the mustang and no problem at all. and canada road are not well known for their smooth. And this computer drag race a lot also lol.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been completely happy with my Kenwood / Garmin / Sirius setup for quite a while. But the thought of realtime OBD II monitoring and data logging is really starting to get me interested in doing a PC.

Back